Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

San Fran area road biking ideas

To disable ads, please log-in.

My boyfriend and I are planning a 2-week trip to San Francisco (and Yosemite and Napa) in late July. We'll be bringing our road bikes and want to do some fantastic day rides. We're not sure where to begin to ask so I thought I'd start here.

We're both strong cyclists and aren't afraid of climbing so single-day rides in the 50km to 160km (30 to 100 miles) range is what we're after.

If you have suggestions of must-do scenic rides, or can give us an idea where to start gathering info from, it'd be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Here are some of my routes in the Marin, Napa and Sonoma areas:

http://ridewithgps.com/users/2183/routes

You can pretty much pick and choose by distance and elevation gain. They are all great rides - low traffic (other than the southern part of the coast on a weekend - avoid SF to Stinson on weekends after 9 am).

I don't really have time just now to sort through them and give you a few selections - I have to run out the door. But this should get you started. The rides entitled "Death Ride" are training rides I created for coaching the Death Ride and are generally rigorous and beautiful.

Have fun! Riding in Yosemite is great as well - though you will want to avoid the valley for too much riding in late July. Do Tioga Road (tuloumne meadows) and the road to Glacier point - stunning!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Thank you, Sarah!

the velogirls site has good route sheets:
    http://www.velogirls.com/resources/routes.php

some classic area rides:
    marin/sf--
    paradise loop (called tiburon loop in the site; extend mileage by doing the headlands/tiburon loop)

alpine dam loop

peninsula--
    old la honda-pescadero-tunitas loop (start in woodside)
    variety of other loops are described that include the area classic climbs (OLH, Kings, Page Mill).