Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

So Catherine, just curious what changed? I've watched you struggle for a while and it looks like something finally clicked.

Quote Originally Posted by Triskeliongirl View Post
    So Catherine, just curious what changed? I've watched you struggle for a while and it looks like something finally clicked.
    Not to derail the thread, but it has come down to three things:

1) Hormonal IUD removal. Removing all synthetic hormonal influences have finally allowed my body to act the way it should when I reduce my intake and increase my exercise. Now the results I get when I put in the effort, make sense. This is HUGE both mentally and physically.

2) Triathlon. Or, I should say, competition. I'm supremely competitive, so having something that I can do where I get to compete to test myself and where I can train consistently (ie, three sports to alleviate boredom and over-training) has really helped keep me on track. I think that biking would have done the same thing for me back when I first started riding but back then, my results did not match my efforts and I got discouraged.

3) Environment. My husband's age has finally caught up with him (ie, he cannot eat whatever he wants and still stay slim and healthy anymore) so he's more open to eating right and exercising regularly and that helps me a lot. And secondly, most of my local friends are athletic and eat healthy (and eating healthy in the Portland area is WAY easier than it was in Greensboro, NC) so it's easy to stay on track when I don't have others trying to talk me into BBQ or baked goods or the like... Plus, some of my friends are crazier than I am now, so no one is telling me that I should "stop working out so much" or "just relax this one time and have a drink" because they are doing even nuttier things than me! (you know who you are, Susan! )

I've also finally learned the importance of moderation. I will NEVER eat 1000 calories/day while doing 10+ hours a week of activity again. That was dreadful, not sustainable, and most importantly, not working. Now I eat a lot...truly. I'm currently tracking using weight watchers and I eat 36-37 points on average every day (my target is 29). I've learned that if I chose the right foods, keep my activity level up and I'm patient, then I eventually lose weight. The patience is the hardest part but I'm really, really trying to enjoy the journey and focus on performance more than appearance.

/hijack
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

So I'm not going to post my end weight. My life took a lot of turns over the last 2 months. It's been stressful, but there is (at least in part) a light at the end of the tunnel and one MAJOR source of stress is gone. Knowing the challenge is here (and getting a gentle reminder) helped keep me from losing ground - and that's important. I was very ready to be able to focus on myself again, and that's a great thing.

Since a few things got resolved, I've been working out more (and my shoulder is *finally* starting to feel right from the rider who took me down at the MS ride last September) - just in the last week or so. I'm also training for a 50 mile mountain ride in June - I have not, historically, been a good climber. So, even though the distance isn't much of a challenge for me, the hills will be. I'm looking forward to it. For another month or so, just working on base - then on to climbing.

So....I'll be on board for the next one And thank you to Possegal who keeps us all in line and seems to have infinite patience with us (even when it doesn't look like we're checking in or otherwise benefiting from the challenge).
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I'm also training for a 50 mile mountain ride in June
    Ooh, which one? Anything that I'd recognize? I always wanted to do Blood, Sweat and Gears but never got the chance and now it's a little to far to travel.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

160 on the nose! I'm pretty happy with that cuz my jeans are super loose and my abs are finally showing. It's really a unique experience trying to lean down without losing muscle.

f*
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

146 for me which I am very happy with. I have not seen that in several years. I hope for about 10 more.

The chart is here to help folks in whatever way works best for each person. So no worries on not posting a weight for any week, or when you post it, or anything. Glad to help in any way.

Life has dealt me too many curves lately and my weight went up way too much. I was at the dr today about these stabbing pains I am getting in my shoulder blade and on the forms the one question was about weight - any loss, gain, etc. I sat there looking at it for a minute and then laughed and check no. The 5 lb gain isn't because of some medical condition, it's because I've eaten poorly and done one day of exercise in the last 2 months. No need confessing THAT to the dr.

And it is never a derailing to share with folks what is working for you. That helps us all!!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CLyrwPwI

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I don't weigh in until tomorrow at my WW meeting. I weighed today and I was 160.6. I didn't count points AT ALL this week. It was teacher appreciation week at school and I ate nothing but sweets, and crap all week. Oh well- it's out of character to eat like that and I enjoyed every. single. bite!

I'm proud of all of us! I think that no matter what happens, the fact that we're aware of our weight and are trying to change is what matters. Great job to everyone!!!

We're going to keep doing this, right? I have enjoyed weighing in here and reading about everyone's successes and setbacks.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Oh yes, we will keep doing this!

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Ooh, which one? Anything that I'd recognize? I always wanted to do Blood, Sweat and Gears but never got the chance and now it's a little to far to travel.
    You got it! Last year, the century sold out faster than we thought (3 weeks) and we got DH a ticket at the last minute. This year, the century sold out in less than 24 hours. As soon as I saw that, I registered for the 50 (which sold out in less than a week). Crazy! Had I had more time to think about it, I probably wouldn't have done it. But....

My current motivation is thinking about how many pounds I can *not* have to haul up hill by then. Hopefully.

The century is HARD. DH (who you may recall likes mountains) finished very near the bottom of the pack (with 10 minutes to spare). But, he only got his ticket 3 weeks before hand. I think the 50 is more than enough for me this year. I *might* try the century next year. Maybe.

Congrats to you!!! You're doing great!!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

151...same as last week and late again!

113.6 though it was up and down all week...
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Still 133.8..... sigh

I know I shouldn't complain, but it is frustrating to see the scales apparently 'stuck'. Oh well, this should change as the weather allows me to ride more frequently...

137 .... again and still.

Thanks Posse, I'm in again, I like being accountable here it helps in it's own way.

Good job to those had found their success this past 2 months, and to those who struggled .... each day we start anew .... here comes tomorrow!

March and April goal will be 133.
    Last edited by Tabby; 02-26-2011 at 04:35 AM.