Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I *think* what happens during a long ride is two-fold. One is simple dehydration, the other is a purge of your body's glycogen.

Glycogen is how your muscles store sugars for quick energy. Each gram of glycogen also stores about four grams of water with it, if I remember my biology right. For about the first hour of a long ride, your body can pull energy from muscle glycogen, which drains some of the water as well, until it switches to the slower burn of the liver-glycogen production, fat-metabolism, or the dreaded ketone metabolism (bonking).

When you're done using your muscles, you'll eat a recovery meal or whatever, and one of the first things that gets replenished is that glycogen and the water that goes with it. It's like a sponge that soaks up water and stores it back into those muscles for future use, sometimes a little more than you may have stored before the ride.

I remember in the old days when I was playing around with carbohydrate cycling and heavy weight lifting, I could get my weight to swing six pounds in a day, and a glycogen refeed would cause my arm muscles to *pop* and the scale would skyrocket. What you're seeing is probably not as quick or dramatic, but it might be the same issue. Either way, it's not a reflection on true fat-loss or -gain, unless somehow you're taking in WAY more cookies and burritos on the ride than you're burning. Then you're on your own. :-D

-- gnat!
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

I totally forgot to weigh myself today at the gym. I've been doing extra workouts during my lunch hour and I'm discovering some really cool mini workouts on my iPhone through Nike. Problem is, apparently my body is not used to this. I did a pretty hard ab workout today and I was lethargic the rest of the day. I actually started getting a migraine towards the end and had to leave my lab early. My point is I am getting REALLY tired after these workouts but I don't have but maybe 30 - 45 minutes tops to get something done so I like to do them full throttle. Since I am trying to drop a few pounds I have been watching calories pretty closely too and I think I'm may not be eating enough protein??? Can that cause a sudden onset of fatigue like this? I just had a complete workup with my doctor so I know I'm good there. I do take iron for slight anemia but have never had it drain me like this has? I'm relatively new to trying to increase muscle from resistance training so I don't know what the usual and customary amount of protein vs. carbs distribution is during a building stage?

holding at 137.

It is a fine line to eat enough to keep your body fueled for a work out and to still have energy and also drop weight. Everyone is different, but for me, after a long ride or good work out, I eat a banana. It perks me up, gives me an extra fruit for the day, is good nutrition for the 100 calories.

I would say your body is wanting some nutrition.

220. The past couple of weeks have been a killer, so my stress is sky high. Stress and weight loss don't go well together for me. My eating is fine, but my body holds on to everything when I get stressy. Bah.
    2009 BMC Road Racer SL 01 / Specialized Ruby 155
    2007 LeMond Reno / Luna Chix Team Saddle
    1980-something Lotus Odyssey / Brooks Finesse
    1992 Bridgestone RB-2 / Brooks B-17 Imperial
    Nada Bike singlespeed / Brooks Team Pro in white

Yahoo- back down to 113.4 this morning :-)
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

152.1 this week. Up a few tenths. I'm still on track, but this is the week after TTOM and I'm almost always up or at least even this week, so I'm not sweating it at all.

Moving on.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

131.6 today. My weight doesn't seem to be wanting to budge. But I feel good and strong, so it's all ok

227 even, although it flashed back and forth between that and 226.8 several times before settling on 227. Alas.

I've been using the iPhone app, Lose It!, to record my food, and I've been between 400 and 900 calories short of the allotted goal every day, which I'm not sure is good because that allotted goal is already set to help me lost 2lbs each week, assuming calories in-calories out works, which I'm not sure it really does.

I've cut way back on bread. Sandwiches twice a week or so, instead of every day (and sometimes twice a day), and I'm eating Greek yogurt every day with fruit, which is supposed to be healthier than regular yogurt, although I'm not sure why. I get Trader Joe's non-fat vanilla. It's pretty good, especially when mixed with pomegranate seeds or blueberries.

I'm also trying to increase my water intake. I should be drinking 115 ounces a day. That's a lot of water when you've got the tiniest bladder in Southern California, but I'm working up to it.

Thanks, all, for the support, and thank you, Possegal, especially, for doing these spreadsheet updates.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

148 for me

Urgh, still the same for me.

141.8 for me - eating out too much.
    Karen

2009 Cannondale Quick 4 Hybrid
    2010 Periwinkle Trek Madone 4.7 WSD, Bontrager Affinity 2 WSD Saddle
    2012 Co-Motion "Speedster" Tandem with Lady Selle Italia Saddle and thud-buster

lesko.tumblr.com

152.8 this week. Not much but better than a slap on the face!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    162.8 this week

I gained .4, but I was snowed in for 3 solid days and when boredom sets in so does the snacking... and baking. I baked the most delicious goodies. I knew I wouldn't lose, but it's OK. I'll take less than half a pound.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

My new job really impacts my ability to internet surf during the day. Updating now. New job also impacting me finding some sort of rhythm with working out and eating right. MUST GET IT TOGETHER!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CLyrwPwI