Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Specialized Romin

To disable ads, please log-in.

I got to test ride a Specialized Romin from LBS in size 143. It is very firm and light, with minimal padding and decent size cut out. It seemed that there was a dip that was the only barely comfortable place to be. I found that the sides put pressure on the pubic rami (on either side of pubic bone), the left side of which I broke. This was not a good feeling. I tried some different placement (nose down a tad, further back) that did help minimally.

It did feel a little narrow but to be fair, I just cant take pressure on either side of the pubic bone. I am not sure if it is due to the cut out or not. Right now I am liking the SI Turbomatic that has no cutout, and is, in fact higher down the middle. This puts NO pressure on the public rami.

I rode my LBS's demo Romin 143 and the only time it felt comfortable to me was while climbing hills, seated. Otherwise, I was experiencing the same pain you described.

I haven't had any luck at all with Specialized saddles
    2005? Storck Senario cd 1.0 with SRAM Force, Specialized Romin Comp Gel 155 saddle
    1998 Lemond Tourmalet
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK

Quote Originally Posted by arielmoon View Post
    I got to test ride a Specialized Romin from LBS in size 143. It is very firm and light, with minimal padding and decent size cut out. It seemed that there was a dip that was the only barely comfortable place to be. I found that the sides put pressure on the pubic rami (on either side of pubic bone), the left side of which I broke. This was not a good feeling. I tried some different placement (nose down a tad, further back) that did help minimally.
    Saddles are perhaps more subject to personal preference than any other part on a bike. By this I mean that what works for one may not work for another. I would highly suggest trying one of our women specific saddles, like the Ruby, if you are having pain in the rami areas.
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...1009&scid=1020

I try not to jump to conclusions- fwiw- the public profile of the poster Master Link (with just the 1 post above) includes a url that says Specialized Customer Service.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

You're right-no link- sorry about that
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Amazing that Specialized answers a link. I am in between saddles and had loved the ruby but again trying the aspide glamour to see if the cutout is causing the chafing I get. I was told the romin is super hard and didn't even think about trying it. Good for riding in the drops but not much else. Arielmoon have you looked at something that is flexible around that area like a SI SLR or max flite? I have uneven hip bones from a horse wreck and always look at the flexiblity of the area around the cut out where my rami bones hit. The new ruby expert is a litte more padded and is flexible. I will probably end up going back to that.
    2009 Specialized Roubaix pro/SMP lite 209
    2010 Trek 4300/Specialized ariel 155

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I knew I'd get called out for over-reacting.

But there is no link. Just the words: We are Specialized Customer Service.
    Sorry about that, here is the link: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...1009&scid=1020

If you are looking for a link to our customer service page here it is: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...geName=support
    I will also include this link in our profile. Thank you for the advice.

We are trying to take a more proactive approach in helping our customers and we are admittedly new to this forum.

I assure you this is Specialized customer service. Please call or write if you have any questions
    877-808-8154
    theMasterLink@Specialized.com
    We are Specialized Customer Service. How may we help you?

The Specialized Romin didn't end up working for me either. I did, however, discover that my hips feels much better with my pelvis tilted forward (as the Romin does). Unfortunately, the Romin's nose is too wide and the saddle is too pear shaped for me. Does anyone know of any T-shaped saddles that tip the pelvis forward?
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

I have been using the 155 and so far it seems ok
    2005? Storck Senario cd 1.0 with SRAM Force, Specialized Romin Comp Gel 155 saddle
    1998 Lemond Tourmalet
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK