Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: MTB vs. Road

MTB vs. Road

To disable ads, please log-in.

Have any of you girls found that after road biking for a little while you feel a little less comfortable on your mountain bike? Like there is a break in period for your body to remember positioning? I have been mountain biking for a few years now and just starting road biking this past year. Because of convenience, I have hardly mountain biked and have done a ton more road riding. My road bike fits a little better than my mountain bike, I'm a little cramped on the mountain bike but I am getting a new frame so I'm not concerned. I have been OK with the fit though for the last few yeaes, but after getting the road bike, I think it made me realize the fit concern a little more. Last night riding, there were time I was trying really hard not to go over the handle bars on the downhills (on a fairly easy trail). I never experienced this before so I think part of it may be because I'm used to being so stretched out and low on the road bike. Probably with a couple more times out it will go away, I just need to get used to the positioning. It was just odd because I do not remember that feeling the previous seasons expect for on a more challenging trail.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

I always feel a little weird when I first get on my mountain bike. It always goes away with the first climb. My brain cells get occupied with other things I guess.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

My back always notices most, then my shoulders. If I switch pretty often I'm fine but if I ride one or the other exclusively for a couple of weeks I know I'll ache when I switch and it goes for either bike.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Sure, you have to re-set your brain when you move from one to the other. On a road bike, we all tend to stay pretty much in the same position but, as you know, you have to get pretty mobile on the mtb. Very minute shifts in body weight make stuff happen on a road bike where you have to make BIG shifts sometimes on a mtb. Then, you get back on a road bike and the whole thing feels high, squirrely, and fast! But your bike handling skills are so much better for the mtb time and your cardio better for the road bike time. I love 'em both!
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    But your bike handling skills are so much better for the mtb time and your cardio better for the road bike time. I love 'em both!
    I definitely agree with you on that! I was surprised by my cardio conditioning from my road bike. I did much better than expected but def need to work on the handling skills more. I did notice that my fork was a little too squishy so maybe that contributed to it a tad also.

When I get on the mountain bike after a couple weeks off, I find myself a little less confident. I am more tentative on the loose turns and drop-offs. It takes me a good two hour ride to feel back in sync with the mountain bike. Then when I switch back to the road bike, I feel really stretched out, and it takes a little while to get used to that! However, I've only been a bi-bicyclist for about a year. Maybe over the years things even out?