Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We have snow

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    I like driving in the snow and have awd, so it's not bad - I just don't trust all the other idiots on the road to not careen into me and decided it wasn't worth risking.
    That's normally my stance, especially around here.

12 inches and the snow is still a-flying.
    I home sick today, but it's not a clinic day for me. Things have changed around here in the past 20 years. Businesses all seem to pretty much close or not expect employees to risk their lives on the road. Perhaps with the advent of telecommuting, people realize you can actually get some work done at home. The clinic decided yesterday to close today; clients were already calling to cancel and most of the therapists would not come in, either. All of this is kind of new to me, since as a teacher, I always knew I didn't have to go to work if there was a big storm. Still, I had a couple of horrific commutes home in the mid-nineties, when it started snowing in the middle of the day, and I had a 20 mile commute, on the highway. What was normally 40 minutes turned into 90 or more minutes, capped off by trying to navigate up a curvy, steep hill to my house, which was my initial reason for getting a 4 wd vehicle when I moved here. Let's just say the 10 year old rear wheel drive Volvo didn't exactly inspire confidence in me when i learned to drive in the snow at age 37.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

SC Upstate is still covered. I drove to work this a.m. on a thick sheet of solid ice. We are beginning to make some progress getting the roads scraped and sanded...finally.

I've never driven in a little more than a dusting, but I have 4WD, wasn't in a hurry and took my everlovin' time. Didn't slip or slide once.
    Cycling is the new running.

Visit my blog: http://www.riverofmuscadinespublishing.com/

I skied to work today. That involves skiing 1 mile on the bike path (more like slogging through the deep unbroken snow) and skiing 0.5 mile on a road. There were almost no cars out, but I had to climb the snowbank once to avoid an active plow.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

re snow driving... 50% of the time the problem is all weather tires/summer tires in snow conditions. I live in snow country and see this all the time... the guy sliding through the intersection with summer tires who thinks if he just drives careful enough it will be OK.

I can see in areas like the south and the carolinas where people freak when there's snow - of course it's an unfamiliar condition.

Me I love it. Bring it on. Don't whine to me about how you hate winter if you are going to live in an area that gets snow every single winter. Instead of being grumpy about it, get out side and play! Snow shoe, XC ski, alpine ski, back country ski... enjoy it.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM