Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Woohoo Clock!!

And stop press, I've now got a route planned!! I won't have time for an end-to-end reccie before the 22nd but I've done all of the sections before and it should work beautifully. Almost completely traffic-free... but shared-use with peds so we won't be breaking any speed records.

I've been giving some thought to assisting the ladies coming into Euston to get from the station to LMNH and then from the end of the ride back to Euston, will post my ideas shortly.

And now a little advice on things to bring on your visit to the Big Smoke:

• be-seen" lights (with fresh batteries) as the evenings are drawing in and there's a chance you'll be cycling at dusk in London - and then of course there's your journeys from your end train stations that night.

• at least 1 (2 if you have them) good locks with you. They should be Sold Secure rated at Gold, Silver or Bronze level. (Manufacturer ratings are meaningless as they are not independently tested.) If you only have 1 of these, do bring it - we'll pair you up with someone else who has 1. As your "hostess", I don't want you to be nervous about bike theft! And the good news is, the right locks + the right technique will take all the fear out of it. Here are 2 videos on locking up - both standards and technique. Please watch them in advance if you can. They show you what WORKS. If you don't already have a Sold Secure gold/silver/bronze rated lock, do consider getting one before your visit to London. You should be able to get one for about £50 - and the peace of mind is worth every penny.
      How to lock your bike:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dscni...feature=relmfu
      How NOT to lock your bike!:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPDHPpnXPv8

If you cannot bring a good enough lock with you on the day, please let me know by PM as soon as possible and I'll try and sort out an extra one for you to use.

I'll start posting weather forecast info during the week leading up to the day.

Have a great Monday!
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

I've booked my tickets! I'll be arriving at Euston at 10:15 (if all goes to plan). I'll make my way down to Look Ma for breakfast, and will probably need a fair bit of coffee. I'll have to catch the 5:15am train! And I'll have to catch the train from Euston again at 18:43. it will be a very long day, but a great adventure! Next, negotiation with BF about transport to/from station at this end.

Really looking forward to meeting you all and to discovering a new side of London. Is there really such a thing as a traffic-free cycle route?! Not sure whether my lock is of the right specs, but it will have to do. I'm pretty sure its a good one, though it is only the one....

Just need to survive a couple more horrendous weeks at work first....
    Specialized Tricross Sport / Specialized Lithia 143

Final bit of trip planning....apparently on the Virgin Pendolino trains, you need to reserve a space for your bike. Took 3 goes, but got there in the end. Tickets were bought through trainline and so tried calling them to reserve bike space, but the reservation came only for the return journey. Called back, so very sorry we have now sent the correct reservation.....another return journey! Stopped by the train station this morning and got the outward journey sorted. But I now have space reserved for two bikes coming back from London....hmmmm....any time for shopping??

And I've booked my bike in for a spa day on Thursday so it will be all shiny and smooth for the trip to the big city (maybe I had better ask them about borrowing another bike lock too). Both the bike and me will look like big wide eyed country bumpkins all dressed up for the big city!

I've reserved bike space on the Virgin trains when bringing my bike back from Glasgow but I did it at the station rather than online but can't remember why. It's such a faff though.

Anyway: four days to go! I've had a stinking cold since getting my flu jab last week (just say NO!) and hoping to have shaken it off by the weekend as I'm sure nobody will want me to share the joy

Cool

Wishing you all a fabulous time in London.

Had a lousy cold that now seems to be turning into a chest infection, so often in the past it ends up as bronchitis, so having to cry off.

Look forward to hearing about it all and maybe see a few pics.

Being a Londoner, I am sure you will all have a great time riding around London.

Ride safe.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Shame you can't make it, Clock, hope you feel better soon.

Mako has had to bow out as well - it's her birthday next week and her family have made plans to celebrate it this coming weekend rather than the weekend after.

So this Sat it'll be me, Pamela (Vanilla) and Eli (uk elephant). Will PM you both later today.

Already half-planning the next meet up, maybe in the spring?

Rebecca

Sprin would be nice for something like Richmond-Windsor. I'd be up for it and might even have a new bike by then, something that doesn't weigh a ton and have a basket on the front

Bag packed, map checked. I'm ready! And weather forecast suggests sunshine...

It's supposed to be 18 degrees tomorrow. I might even leave the cardigan at home

Actually, at the risk of sounding like a proper girl, what is everyone wearing? Do I have to force my lycra-clad self on the world or wear my usual dress and leggings. My demented sausage look isn't nice for anyone

18? Forecast I checked said 12, I may have to re-evaluate clothing plans! Plan was lycra tights with loose fitting long shorts over, smartwool turtleneck, yellow jacket. Or maybe ibex skirt instead of shorts? Basically aiming for "casual lycra" if there is such a thing...

The BBC said 18 yesterday and now 14 during the day tomorrow and 19 on Sunday.

Weather & Clothing!

Hi ladies, sorry I didn't see your TE posts last night. Meant to message you both but after a helluva week, I just crashed when I got home.

Temps mid-teens I think. Bright sunshine but it'll be chilly in the shade! Route will have long sunny spells but in and out of shadows at times. So - sunglasses & layers!

No lycra 'required'!! Eli, your plan sounds perfect. Pamela, your usual dress and leggings will be fine - just bring a fleece or something for times we may stop in the shade.

I'll be in Ibex baselayers with casual stuff over the top. Maybe a short red tartan skirt just for the heck of it.

I was hoping to be at LMNH by 11am so Eli isn't on her own for long but now looking like 11.30 ish. The courtyard is sheltered from the breezes, hope the sunshine reaches in there this morning - if so, it'll be a very pleasant place to wait, for whoever gets there first.
    Rebecca

I'm leaving in about ten minutes. See you all soon!

I hope you're all having a great time! So sorry I couldn't make this - unfortunate coincidence of an early half term and the annniversary of a bereavement - I couldn't really take any time away on my own.
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

We had a great afternoon! Hopefully Eli will post a link to photos soon... but she has a 5 hour trip home tonight so it won't be right away!

Already looking forward to the next UK meet up... sometime next spring?
    Rebecca