Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    As for the train I really don't like the idea of letting my bike out of my sight

Don't you worry about it getting damaged?
    I suppose different trains have different layouts. So far I've always been able to sit immediately beside my bike or in direct line of sight (close enough to shout "OY!" if anyone's gaze lingers on it. ) In any case, the bike itself is parked with front wheel in a rack or the whole frame is strapped in - depends on what facilities the train carriage has fitted.

I've never had any damage happen or any situation that made me think there was a risk of damage.

Maybe check out what bike facilities are on the rolling stock your train company uses, then decide if it worries you too much?
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hope you'll posts some pics of fun times when you all meet up later in October.

It would be good for us in North America and elsewhere, to know how members elsewhere have fun in the UK.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca19804 View Post
    Maybe check out what bike facilities are on the rolling stock your train company uses, then decide if it worries you too much?
    I'll give them a call, the website is a little vague.

I'm a little over protective / paranoid when it comes to things getting damage. Its been pointed out that it may be a little unhealthy
    ------------------
    Cervélo S1 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca19804 View Post

Could anyone who thinks they can make it on the 22nd let me know if they're coming into London by train - and if so - which station and what's the earliest possible time you'd be arriving?

Some of you are coming quite a distance so I'm thinking we could start the "TE meet" by having lunch, then cycle round in the afternoon and hopefully get you all on your various ways back home at a reasonable hour?
    I'm still free on the 22nd. Where were you thinking about for lunch and a ride? Look Mum No Hands is nice and has a lot of bike parking from what I remember and might be good if people are worried about leaving their bikes. The city is dead at weekends and is lovely for cycling around, especially if you're lucky enough to hear the bells of St Paul's as I was last week.

I'm sorry I'm going to miss this as I'm not in London at that time. Hope you have good weather and an enjoyable day.

So far the only ride idea that I've had that I've pursued further than just "random musings" is the Thames Path, with lunch at the wonderful Meantime pub in Greenwich.

But obviously the plan for the day needs to work around which train stations people are arriving into, which so far seem to be Paddington and Euston - both of which are north-ish. So a North London ride would be great, in which case I wholeheartedly second LMNH as the lunch stop.

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with North London and am not confident that I could put together a traffic-lite (and not too hilly?) ride in that part of the city. So - if anyone would like to help me with planning one, PM me please!
    Rebecca

Taking bikes on trains

Hi all,

Okay, so if my notes are right, we have 4 definitely (or very probably?!) coming!

me (based in South London)
    Vanilla (also in South London)
    Beck aka Mako - coming from Midlands by train into Euston (unless she drives)
    Eli aka uk elephant - coming from Wales by train into... Paddington??

I like Vanilla's suggestion for our lunch meet up: Look Mum No Hands, located at 49 Old Street, London EC1V 9HX - website http://www.lookmumnohands.com/

Shall we aim to meet there for lunch about 12 midday? Have lunch - and of course wait if anybody's delayed - with hopefully everybody ready to ride by 1.00/1.30pm?

Vanilla, can you please phone/text me on 07905 797585? I'd really like to brainstorm ride ideas and then spend some time over the next few weekends trying things out. If you're available to be a sounding board (by e-mail/phone), that'd be great - and if you've got a few hours one weekend to field test with me, even better!

I'm really looking forward to the 22nd!
    Rebecca

I will also be arrivin into Euston. Look Ma No Hands sounds like a great place judging by the name! I will get my train tickets sorted shortly and make sure I can find my way there by 12. Looking forward to an adventure!
    Specialized Tricross Sport / Specialized Lithia 143

Sounds like a fantastic plan Rebecca! I've noted your mobile number down and will pm you my email address as that's the best way to contact me. I'm rubbish at keeping my phone charged or remembering to bring my charger home from work x105622958672

Oh wow, only just noticed this.

I live down in Poole, Dorset, probably just over 100 miles south west of London.

It sounds a lot of fun, I would not be bringing my bike but would still love to meet up.
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Hey Clock - it's a long way to come for just lunch?! We'd love to see you though!
    Rebecca

Yes Rebecca, you are sooooo right.

Just been trying to work out the easiest and cheapest way to get to London. Would need to get a coach to Victoria Coach Station and arrive at 10.50 am that's not too bad but it's a pain getting across to Look Ma No Hands , it would require two buses and walking and would take a good 45 minutes.

So am undecided, as I would only be there for an hour and then would have to wave everybody off...................

Got to have another think.
    Clock

You could always hire a Boris bike and come with us

Thumbs up Great result!

Woohoo, a friend who lives in Chelsea has invited both myself and my partner to stay Friday evening, so I can leave around 10.00 am and jump a few buses and arrive for 11.30 am. (On my own of course)

This place looks so cool too, would love to join you on the ride but it will be good just to meet and chat.

Will send you my mobile number too.

So, please add me as a definite.
    Last edited by ClockworkOrange; 10-09-2011 at 09:53 AM.
    Clock