Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

View Poll Results: Turkey or another type of entree for holiday meal this year?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turkey

2 10.00%
  • Other fowl (chicken, goose, quail, duck)

2 10.00%
  • Other meat (beef, lamb, pork, seafood)

9 45.00%
  • Other atypical meats (venison, bison, etc.)

2 10.00%
  • More than 1 type of meat at holiday dinner

0 0%
  • No meat. Specify if you wish.

5 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Turkey or what else in place of it this yr.?

To disable ads, please log-in.

So are you going to have turkey or something else for the signature holiday dinner entree?

This yr., it's bison. I wrote up about it being here in the land of red meat, bison, etc. Other years, we've had seafood. He and I come from non-turkey families. We grew up not eating turkey for the Christmas or for any holiday meal.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 12-18-2010 at 07:16 AM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I make family dinner on Christmas Eve because my MIL calls dibs on Christmas Day dinner. So I'm not competing with her in the least, I make a big crockpot of all-day chili and a batch of cornbread and some of my family's favorite desserts -- my great-grandmother's cookies, or my aunt's cake or something.

For Christmas dinner, she'll probably roast a turkey and a sister-in-law always brings a ham. The rest of us contribute casseroles, bread, and desserts.

It's a little sad this year. My FIL passed away in April. He loved Christmas.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Crab

If I'm left to my own devices, I'm thinking crab. Maybe I'll share with the kitties. One Dungeness crab for the four of us - me and the three cats.

And try to make the brussel sprouts/apple/cranberry vegie like I had at lunch yesterday.
    Beth

Ok, I'm boring...

Turkey. But only b/c my mom makes the best dressing and cranberry sauce, and DH makes great sweet potatoes. So, turkey seemed like the way to go.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I'll be eating whatever Brewer wants to make.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

We'll probably take the traditional Jewish route- going out for Chinese food on Christmas...
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

We had prime rib for Thanksgiving this year...I kind of miss turkey and will probably make one sometime soon. Prime rib doesn't include stuffing and gravy...I could eats me a whole lotta stuffing drenched in gravy!
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    bmcc, that Dungeness crab slows down any eater, no matter how good it is: Takes time to take the crabmeat after cracking those huge/hard shells!

When I had occasional visitors from other provinces in Vancouver, I served Dungeness crab partially to impress them, but also because it's alot cheaper fresh in Vancouver than elsewhere in another province in Canada.

Wonder if the vegetarians will respond here. Hope we learn of their star entree dish for holiday meal.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Oddly, our Christmas food tends to start with "P" I swear I didn't plan it that way, but. . .

Pizza: My SIL calls long-distance to order a Pizza from a local joint for us on Christmas Eve.

Paella: For Christmas dinner. My daughter learned of this rice, saffron and seafood dish when she was in Spain and somehow it became our traditional Christmas dinner. (Turkey is for T-giving only around here.)

Pizzels and Potica: Pizzels are kind of a really thin, sweet waffle baked in a fancy iron. Potica is a rolled sweet bread full of walnuts, honey, butter, eggs and other good stuff. It's served in thin slices, the better to show off the spirals.

Good stuff, Maynard.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Last edited by XMcShiftersonX; 12-19-2010 at 11:41 AM.
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

I think my MIL is making ham. That's what my own mom makes. If it were up to me, I'd probably go with a pork roast, beef tenderloin or lamb chops. I'm not big on turkey. I'm going to try my hand at coq au vin for New Year's Eve. It's just me and DH for that.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by XMcShiftersonX View Post
    Sorry, that looks.....uh....not so good, although based on the review probably better than tofurkey (shudder....awful stuff....shudder).

Knowing the chef in the house it will probably be a seitan roulade using a bread stuffing with mushroom gravy and a side of rosemary potatoes. Very tasty.

But since I'm job hunting (unsucessfully) and will probably receive a rejection right before the holidays, I'll be hoping for comfort food instead. My request will be his vegan adaptation of a chcolate chicken recipe we saw on one of those many food reality shows. Seitan slow cooked with onions in a savory chocolate sauce....mmmm.....(my apologies to the gluten intolerant for that moment of culinary indulgence).
    2009 Waterford RS-14 S&S Couplers - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Traveller
    2008 Waterford RS-33 - Brooks B68-Anatomica - Go Fast
    2012 Waterford Commuter - Brooks B68-Anatomica - 3.5-Season/Commuter
    2011 Surly Troll - Brooks B68 Imperial - Snow Beast

I think I'll lobby for a Christmas Eve of cheese & stuff (crackers, salami, fruit, you know, stuff). Then all the leftover exotic and extravagant cheese can become one glorious sauce for pasta!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Sorry, that looks.....uh....not so good, although based on the review probably better than tofurkey (shudder....awful stuff....shudder).
    It's actually really delicious. The stuffing is amazing too, has chunks of "ham" in it. It's juicy and has the appropriate texture. It's nothing like Torfurkey, which is disgusting, dry and flavorless. It's unfortunate that people who maybe don't know about vegan food end up eating that, and get the impression that that is what all vegan food is like.
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

We do turkey. We used to do both turkey and ham, but stopped that when I was in high school. New Year's day is roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. We do something different for Christmas Eve every year--no idea what this year.

DBF's family does turkey on Christmas day, but Christmas Eve is Norwegian meatballs and lefse with green beans (his dad's side of the family is Irish/Norwegian). The first time I visited him (in January), he begged his mom to make it again so I could try it.
    Last edited by Owlie; 12-19-2010 at 04:03 PM.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...