Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

Intermediate/Advanced Women's Clinic is SOLD OUT!

Only a few spots left for Intro/Beginner riders. Hope to see many of you there!

http://www.bikereg.com/events/regist...?eventid=12065

Looking forward to pics and updates from the clinic!!

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

I forgot my camera so no pictures I am afraid, at least not from me. There was a professional photographer there taking pictures and I may get something from her, will post it if I do. I hope that Kimikaw and IndySteel also have a chance to post on their experiences.

The weekend was fantastic! I had fun camping out, and the air mattress meant that I got to sleep without my 51 year old bones and joints complaining. I really didn't sleep the first night, but it poured rain all night... trails were in perfect condition by today though.

My session was today. This morning after breakfast a rather large group of us did a series of parking lot drills. We were the "never been on a mountain bike trail group". There were about 15-16 of us, it would have been nice if the group had been smaller but of course it was fine.

We started with different body positions on the bike, then moved on to braking & balancing techniques, and we also learned how to hop over stuff with the front wheel. Others did better with this than I, but I did get a little air a few times even if my timing wasn't so good Practice, practice, practice! Our instructors were very encouraging and, of course, quite good. Indysteel was in my group, it was nice to know someone else going through the same process.

Time to ride came after lunch! Before that we had a raffle where I scored a new Fox Flux(?) helmet and a few sorely needed new jerseys, there was also a "Naked Lady" table where we swapped gently used items.

My group rode Pine Loop, which is the easiest trail in the park. I had hiked it the day before and was pretty confident that it wouldn't be overly difficult. Famous last words Thankfully I was at the end of the line, deliberately since I am accustomed to riding solo. I kept falling behind the others, but that was ok. Actually, I wasn't quite the end of the line, one of the instructors was behind me and she patiently stuck with me and gave me good pieces of advice along with way. I learned several very important things on the trail:

• Don't look at the big tree at the side of the trail
    • Don't look down the 30 foot embankment off the side of the trail
    • Tape fingers to the brakes so they will stay there!
    • Bailing from the bike is a lot more comfortable with shin guards and certainly better than pavement...
    • I LOVE my shin guards

I did cut out a little early from the ride, the others wanted to go to a more challenging trail after the first time around and I knew that was beyond me. Last but not least - I learned that while mountain biking is harder than riding on the road - it is a LOT more fun

Now I just need to find someone brave/kind enough to ride Pine Loop with me until I get a little more comfortable... I had a great day and weekend!
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-13-2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: more detail

Catrin it sounds like you and I may be on the same page with riding. You can show me what you learned! We should go ride off road some time.

I wanted to say more about the actual clinic, I was rather tired last night

I think there were 60 advanced/intermediate women and about 40 beginners. They separated us into groups of with similar skill levels and each group appeared to have two instructors. The more advanced women spent Saturday afternoon working on skills and drills, then they continued Sunday morning when we beginners started, rides came for all after lunch on Sunday.

They had an impressive roster of instructors, and everyone was so friendly and supporting! There were several teenagers there and it was fun watching these girls - I think they spent every waking moment on their bikes. I think they were on a racing team though I could be mistaken. There was such a wide variety of women from different backgrounds and experiences! I am very thankful to have had this opportunity to get a taste of mountain biking in such a supportive atmosphere.

Photo

Here is a picture from the clinic - as you can tell it is from our parking lot drills and I've completed whatever our drill was at the time. If you would like to see all 600+ Clinic photos, go here. You will see some of the photos on the main page, and there is a link in the text that will take you to all of the photos. The advanced women were doing some awesome things!
    Last edited by Catrin; 06-17-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Catrin, you look like you were having a ball!
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD