Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winter Depression

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone have problems with increased depression in the winter? What do you do that helps you deal with it. I 'know' exercise helps me tremendously, but it is hard to get up and go when I am feeling so blah...
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

Absolutely. I imagine everybody gets a little down, especially if they have lots of cold, gray day. You're right though; exercise DOES help. I find having a very established exercise routine helps in the winter. Frankly, I kind of like winter for this reason; I tend to be more disciplined. Make your routine doable, but stick to it. Don't give yourself even a minute to talk yourself out of it. When I used to belong to a gym, I went immediately after work. Going home first was a no-no.

Light therapy. I don't use this, but I do make a point of getting outside when the sun is out, even if it's cold. For the same reasons, you might consider a vitamin D supplement.

Do want makes you happy. Having coffee with a friend, seeing a movie, going to yoga. Whatever it is, just make a point of doing it. Make plans, finish projects. Be productive.

Get enough sleep, eat right and drinks lots of water. There's nothing like some winter weight to make you feel even more blah.

I'm big on doing a lot of little things for myself and my mental health on a regular basis. I also try to take it one day at a time. If I think of getting through three months of winter, I get down. But one day? I can do that.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Make sure you're getting enough sunlight. I can't overemphasize the importance of that, and of course it's so difficult in winter. If you don't have windows where you work, if at all possible get full spectrum light bulbs - they definitely help, and it's worth it even if you have to pay for them yourself. Do whatever you can to get real light, even sitting in a car or standing in an entryway on your breaks will help. If you don't have to wake up before sunrise, make sure your window shades don't block the morning sun.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks for all the suggestions. This morning i switched my evening dog walk for a morning one. 45 min in the sunshine did wonders! I'll have to make that a permanent change. I will also look into upping my vit D during the winter.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by abejita View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. This morning i switched my evening dog walk for a morning one. 45 min in the sunshine did wonders! I'll have to make that a permanent change. I will also look into upping my vit D during the winter.
    That's sounds like a positive change. I wish I didn't have to leave for work in the dark.

They just changed the recommendation for Vitamin D intake from 400 to 600 international units per day (more if you're older than 71).

http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyl...ay/646670.html

That's not to suggest that you necessarily need a supplement by the way. It depends on your diet and exposure to sunlight.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

My pcp actually checks my vitamin D levels when we do my yearly bloodwork. I did notice that my levels had dropped since this summer and they are a little lower than I would like them to be, so that could be a factor as well.
    Mary

I agree with the recommendation to experience as much natural light as you can. Even a little bit will help.

Maintaining my connection with the natural world also helps me cope with winter blues. It reminds me to see winter as part of a necessary and beautiful process, not a sinister plot to make me crazy.

I've used light therapy at the recommendation of my therapist.

I got this system at Costco for about $40 last year http://www.verilux.com/light-therapy...appylight-2500

You're supposed to use both at the same time, but it gives me headaches. I use just one at a time for a few hours every day at work. It does help. I actually ended up giving my second one to a friend who also loves it for seasonal depression.

If you can get one for an affordable price, I recommend giving it a try.

I'm not sure if it's the 5,000 IU of Vitamin D I've been taking for the three or four few weeks is finally kicking in, or the 1,500MG of EmergenC I've been taking the last few days.

I mix and orange packet with a strawberry kids' packet and it tastes like a fruit fusion drink that would cost a lot more. The blend was an accident -- I thought I was opening a second orange packet to add to my water bottle, but it was one of my daughter's strawberry packets. It was delicious!

I've been mixing one every morning this week and I've noticed a definite energy boost and I've been a lot less stressed.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    Maintaining my connection with the natural world also helps me cope with winter blues. It reminds me to see winter as part of a necessary and beautiful process, not a sinister plot to make me crazy.
    That's a great point. We don't typically get enough snow here for winter sports, but DH and I do a lot of hiking in the winter when conditions allow. I actually look forward to it because we usually have the trails to ourselves.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

thanks for the link...that is a great price!
    Mary

I've been using a light box for a couple of years now, along with forcing myself to spend more time outside even when it's cold. It's definitely made a difference. My husband can always tell if I skip my light box for a couple of mornings in a row, because I get really lethargic and cranky.

I'm a big supporter of this company: http://www.sunbox.com/. It's a little more expensive, but I believe they have a lifetime warranty. If you do buy a light box, first do some research to be sure you're getting the right thing. Generally you would want a light that is 10,000 LUX. I use this one: http://www.sunbox.com/products/sunlightjr.html.

Last year I forced myself to come out of hibernation mode and play outside. This forum was a big part of that decision (the fall/winter commuting challenge). I got snowshoes, too. At first I didn't want to go outside. Once I did, I was glad. I'm starting to see winter as a beautiful season to enjoy instead of endure. I don't miss the negative side effects of the anti-depressants I've taken every winter for years.

Hoping you find a combination of things that work for you,

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Riding the bike at the gym helps me in the winter. Joining a spin class helps!
    Thats what I have done this winter

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    I agree with the recommendation to experience as much natural light as you can. Even a little bit will help.

Absolutely!

I was worried that moving the the PNW from the south was going to destroy my mental health in the winter. Not only does it rain a lot here, but it's grey and DARK for sooooo long up here. The first year, it was a big adjustement just dealing with darkness.

Luckily, I'm outside most of the day every weekend either on the farm or biking or doing other things. There is a distinct advantage to living in the country where I have season specific chores to attend to as I'm forced to stay in tune with even the most minute changes.

Plus, now that I've added a lunch time run to my work day a couple of times a week, I've absolutely noticed my mood improving as well.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom