Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I agree with finding things you can do outside in the winter. Since I'm in snow country now, I am going to attempt to go ice skating this coming weekend. We will see how THAT goes,

Blehh...I'm there. Not sure if it's the supercold weather, which makes my downstairs intolerably chilly, or if it's just winter in general. But bleh. I come home from work, hole up in my upstairs living room, watch tv & eat, and go to bed.

Though, I think I'd stop being so tired if I could stop flying all over the freaking country - staying in one time zone and not having to get up at 4 am to get home at 2 am might help. I need to make sure I get time outside this weekend.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Add me to the winter depression club, too. I just can't get "into" anything during the winter months. My energy level is SO low, my motivation to do anything but sleep is non-existant. I still manage to drag my carcass to the gym everyday, just to keep moving...but I can feel that I'm not putting forth the effort to get in "quality" workouts. I'm just sort of "there", if you know what I mean. I'm hoping that I can snap out of this funk before cycling season hits. Although with so much snow still on the ground, THAT will be a good while yet.

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

So how is everyone doing with their winter doldrums? Even in southern California I'm going through the winter blahs. I like the sun sessions you have mentioned and will try this from today on. I take 5,000 IU of vitamin D daily but I think the real deal is best. I read that 15 minutes of sun create 10,000 IU of vitamin d in your system. Sure beats a pill. I grew up in northern Calif but have gotten soft, weather wise, the 35 years of being a socal girl. Can't wait to get on the bike again. It's been 3 weeks and the cold mornings keep my lazy bootie in the house. It's motivation time.

Lets remember that our bodies go through a natural seasonal hibernation. It's in our DNA and our bodies are reacting to the weather for a reason. It's just that our millennium lifestyles are 24/7,go go go and we think there's something wrong. Our ancestors were more in tune to the seasons and took it easy during winter. Let's not be so hard on ourselves and give us a break. We'll get back on the bike, we love it too much.
    2010 Cervelo RS
    ♥2CYKEL

Last year it didn't hit me until late March/early April. Winter is really long here, so I'm just trying to power through. This year's strategy is to stay in motion and maybe the doldrums won't catch up with me. So far, so good.

The days have been getting noticeably longer, so I'm taking heart in that!
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Also, check you aren't using skin care products with sunscreen. They are now so pervasive. I developed a vit D defeciency which I tracked down to recommendation from a doc for daily sunscreen usage. Now I just use it if cycling on a very sunny day, or skiing, or going to the beach. I also find going for a short walk outdoors to get a cup of coffee in the afternoon instead of going to the indoor stand helps too (and of course my doc started me on vit D supps). Exercise is a biggy too, as you mentioned, in terms of lifting mood. Even if you feel blah, get yourself to commit to a planned schedule, for say one week. By the end of the week you'll be hooked and won't feel blah anymore. I have an 8pm daily appt with 'coach troy.' If I'm not up for that, I set my trainer up in front of the TV, and at least pedal while I watch. It always makes me feel better and I notice the training effect on weekend rides.

This discussion was great for me. This is the first year that I had the winter blah's. I too found out that my Vit D was low and have increased this. I so look forward to getting out on my bike to ride it just makes me feel great!

I'm doing great...spring came just in time! Last week the highs were in the 80's, we are on DST, all is good again!

I did up my vit D supplement over the winter and it seemed to help a bit.

Hope everyone else is coming out of their winter slumps soon too!

mary
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

Wow, since I learned to ski I had forgotten about, "winter depression". Even when I lived in the dreary midwest skiing gave me a purpose for winter, Christmas and spring breaks, skiing somewhere in snow country.

Now that I live in Colorado I don't notice winter, 63 downhill days, 7 xc days. It's been snowing here all day, still snowing, 22 degrees with 10+" of powder on the slopes, more on the way. Hard to believe winter is almost gone and there's only a month left to ski. Daily outdoor activity, even if it's a simple walk, keeps winter blues at bay.

As much as I'm trying not to, I already have a tanned face and my vitamin D levels are normal.