Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

At last...a guilty plea

To disable ads, please log-in.

Back in late June, a good friend of a bunch of us at the LBS was killed by a drunk driver while riding his bike home from work.

It was the nightmare scenario: Wide shoulder, you think you're fine, drunk comes up behind you and slams into you. You never saw it coming.

Here's a report from a friend who went to the hearing:

The hearing was held to have the defendant confirm his plea before the court , and provide him an understanding of his waiver to certain (constitutional) rights. There was also a briefing by the prosecution as to the charges being brought, and a synopsis of the evidence. (The details of the evidence: QF [initials of the defendant] was driving his SUV erratically and and very fast (determined to be 69mph +/- when he hit Stan). Stan was riding well inside the 10' wide paved shoulder. QF went into the shoulder and Stan was hit from behind, and thrown 114 feet into the fence. Stan initially survived the impact. QF had stopped a short distance away, then backed up to the scene, almost hitting some witnesses, got out and asked what happened. Police arrived and QF was given field sobriety tests, failed, refused a breathalyzer and was taken to the hospital for mandatory testing. QF was combative, even trying to bite one arresting officer. Blood samples showed a BAL of .18. This is one of three DUI offenses QF has had.)

The plea was "guilty to the charge of vehicular manslaughter"; which, has a possible maximum sentence of 10 years. It appears that other charges were droped [sic] as part of the plea agreement.

The sentencing is scheduled for January 14, 1:30pm

I will be happy to have this one taken off the streets. But I am sooo sad that Stan is gone.
    Last edited by 7rider; 12-07-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I live not far from there and go by the ghost bike frequently. It breaks my heart every time. I can only imagine how hard this has all been on those of you that knew him.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    More press on Stan.

2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Such a tragedy. Could happen to any of us that ride on the road, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. My heart breaks for Stan's family and friends.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

What a terrible loss. My heart goes out to all of Stan's family and friends.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend...he sounds like he was a classy guy in every way. I am thankful that justice will be served. A shame that this ever had to happen.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I just cried and cried while reading your OP and then the article about Stan. I'm so sorry you lost your friend, and that his community lost him. Truly tragic all the way around. I feel for the driver, although his actions cost him this path he leads now and took another person's life.
    I've been known to do stupid things while driving (never DUI, tho) and I only became a more vigilant and attentive driver once I became a cyclist. If only we could make everyone ride a bike for one solid week, maybe, just maybe we could save some of our friends.

Hugs to you and to everyone that Stan touched.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike