Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cycling shorts, what do you wear?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey ladies
    So I was just wondering what kind of shorts do you wear?
    I mean, when I go shopping, i see tons of different types of shorts, and I have no idea what to get
    I mean these pretty good because they have the little cushion under,

But I still dont know what to wear...
    Until now Ive been wearing my boyfriends spandex underwear
    spandex underwear you say?oh yes spandex underwear
    He bought them for joke but hey theyve been great! except the occasional discomfort between the legs...
    they kind of look like these
    http://www.twenga.com/price-mens-spandex-underwear.html
    So thats why I thought it was time to ditch my boyfriends underwear and get a pair of my own
    so I thought maybe somone here could help me out find some

Awhhh, the newbie bike shorts question. My best recommendation would be to search the various sub forums because this one comes up a lot.

It's a matter of personal preference, really, but here's what I would say. Make your first pair a nice "investment" pair if you can only buy one now. I spent about $125 on my first pair of Craft shorts 6 years ago and despite literally showering in them and wearing them the next day, they're still alive with one small hole in the inseam. Fortunately, that's between me and the saddle.

There are a lot of good sub $100 shorts out there and I don't discount them. I own a few as well. The problem is they're very purpose oriented. Short rides, commutes, etc. I've wanted capris since forever, but they usually have a flimsy chamois and I have a very minimal saddle so it doesn't work.

Those look like the Sugoi RS shorts which don't fit me because I have an arse, but my roommate bought them and loved them. They look like nice shorts, I like a lot of the features, but lo German sprinter booty was not designed to fit in them.

Try a ton of stuff on, bend over in the cycling position when you do too, see how it feels. Grab a jersey to try it on with. When you bend over are you exposing any spring break tattoos or c-section scars? That stuff drives me nuts! I can't feel comfortable worried about whether my tummy is flapping in the breeze or the world knows I have a cave painting horse tattoo!

But yeah, search, search, search, there are toooons of threads on this with great info!
    Last edited by smurfalicious; 12-07-2010 at 11:04 PM.
    "True, but if you throw your panties into the middle of the peloton, someone's likely to get hurt."

Shorts are really a personal preference based on many things--fit, chamois pad,leg grippers (or lack thereof)... People can go through many pairs before finding one that is just right.

Before you get too freaked out, there's a lot of information on this forum. Go shopping, try lots of things on. Don't discount the cheaper shorts Except for one pair, my shorts have a negative correlation between price and comfort.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I was told once to get the most expensive pair you can afford and the smallest size you can fit into. I found that to be very good advice.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Chick View Post
    I was told once to get the most expensive pair you can afford and the smallest size you can fit into. I found that to be very good advice.
    I like that....!

As others have said, it's all about trying different shorts on to see what fits you, and then personal preference (do you like leg grippers, a minimal chamois, a wider waist band, a certain length of inseam, etc.).

I personally like my Pearl Izumi Symphony shorts ($100); they have a good length inseam for me (8 1/2"), the waist band is wider which I like, and they have grippers. Now on the other hand, I did not like my previous Giordana shorts due to the horrible, narrow little waistband and becasue the lyrca was just a little too thin in my opinion (at least on the shorts I got a year back and they were "mid-range" shorts).

You can read about PI's different shorts on their website.
    "Limits are a state of mind: break them before they break you."
    --Michael Cotty

I started with PI's microsensor short and, after they changed the chamois, I moved onto Sugoi's RS short. Now that's about the only short I wear. I like a longer inseam and fabric that provides a lot of support and some compression.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I like the PI Elite chamois (the orange chamois) - I've had several pair of their shorts and also have a pair of their bib-shorts. I've yet to try other manufacturers, though am curious about Sugoi and would like to give them a try the next time I need shorts.

I did try the PI baggy shorts and hated the liner/chamois. That is detachable though, which is good since I like the actual shorts themselves...

Quote Originally Posted by LivetoRide View Post
    As others have said, it's all about trying different shorts on to see what fits you, and then personal preference (do you like leg grippers, a minimal chamois, a wider waist band, a certain length of inseam, etc.).

I personally like my Pearl Izumi Symphony shorts ($100); they have a good length inseam for me (8 1/2"), the waist band is wider which I like, and they have grippers. Now on the other hand, I did not like my previous Giordana shorts due to the horrible, narrow little waistband and becasue the lyrca was just a little too thin in my opinion (at least on the shorts I got a year back and they were "mid-range" shorts).

You can read about PI's different shorts on their website.

THIS!!! I simply LOVE the new wider waistband that PI has gone to on their Elite & Symphony product line. SOOOO much more comfortable than a narrow waistband digging and binding into my waist...and it seems to drastically reduce the appearance of a "muffin-top", too.

Also wanted to add, that the picture of the Sugoi shorts in the first post do NOT look like the pair of Sugoi RS shorts that I have. On my pair of RS's, you can clearly see the "waffle" pattern in the material...something I don't see at all on the shorts pictured.
    Last edited by nscrbug; 12-08-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Two pairs of Sugoi Evolution shorts, but they're both the old-style chamois. My favorite shorts are Primal Wear's Primas, which are pretty cheap. (They have them again, just without the pretty blue stitching. Yay!) I also have a pair of $130 Castellis (the Vizio.1), that have slightly too much chamois for me, but not so much that I won't wear them.

My current shorts collection includes:

Terry Bella shorts
    Voler Elite shorts and bib shorts
    Pearl Izumi PRO bib shorts

I'm a big fan of having at least 2 styles in rotation, especially when doing lots of daily riding or multi-day tours. I'm also rapidly becoming a bib shorts girl...which can be an expensive proposition
    Last edited by Becky; 12-08-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Chick View Post
    Great advice! My personal favs are Giordana shorts, esp. their bibs.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

The smallest size part makes sense. The expensive bit hasn't really held up for me. But, as with almost all things related to bikes, your mileage may vary.

L. Garneau neo power shorts!
    I have a lot of Pearl Izumi.
    Tried many Terry shorts, but they don't work for me.
    Best advice I can give. Get a pair. Get another pair that are different from the first pair. And so on. Eventually, you will find what works for you.

Bib shorts!

FWIW, I wear men's bibs. Easier to find, though even with my team kit orders, I still go for men's for longer inseams and longer bib straps. Not always easy to find the right size, but I generally go with XS when available, sometimes small.