Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Winter riders must see this.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Found this site for making tires into snow tires, pretty cool and cheap.
    http://www.dutchbikeco.com/_blog/Dut...Snowpocalypse/

I was talking about this technique with the LBS guy down the street just after the big snow - the one problem is that you need disk brakes or a fixie....

If we actually got more of that lovely weather we had Thanksgiving week, I'd invest in a snow bike - I get a Kona "bike" -it's cheap, it's got a 3 speed internal coaster brake hub on the back and a v-brake on the front and big wide tires - I'd put real studs on it though rather than do the zip tie thing. Seriously - when it snows here bike is the best way to go.... cars don't get you much of anywhere and public transit pretty much comes to a halt
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I'm so doing that on my 29er if we get big snowstorms again this winter

That's awesome! Reminds me of the running equivalent: screw shoes - www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

That is very cute Makes fixing flats a bit of a pain, but I realize it's a temporary thing. And if you just get snow occasionally in the course of a winter, or just want to try riding in the snow a bit before buying winter tires, it's plain brilliant!

Hey - who was it that had a annual mile goal foiled by the snow...?
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry1976 View Post
    That's awesome! Reminds me of the running equivalent: screw shoes - www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
    Yup, that is exactly what it is. That is funny too.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    That is very cute Makes fixing flats a bit of a pain, but I realize it's a temporary thing. And if you just get snow occasionally in the course of a winter, or just want to try riding in the snow a bit before buying winter tires, it's plain brilliant!

Hey - who was it that had a annual mile goal foiled by the snow...?
    Ahhhh...that would be me. Someone else posted this in my thread, and I actually thought "what a cool idea!". Until I realized that the zip ties would get in the way of braking...hence the requirement for disc brakes. Dang...
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Brilliant!!

Lynette

My LBS owner was just telling me about this the other day-- too bad you need disk breaks or would have to go without breaks though!
    "Limits are a state of mind: break them before they break you."
    --Michael Cotty

My nephew tried using the zip ties on his front tire only and used his rear brakes to slow or stop himself since he does not have disc brakes on his Downtube folding bike.

He said the zip ties gave pretty good traction riding through 2-3 inches of fresh snow.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

The other issue can be that in colder temps, I don't believe that the zip ties would hold up... I think you'd see tem breaking quite often. Although a repair is quick and inexpensive for the most part.... Personally I'll stick to my chains or studded tires, gives me more peace of mind.