Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal

Oatmeal

To disable ads, please log-in.

Normally I hate the stuff, but it's warm, cheap and reasonably nutritious, so I've been trying to eat more of it.

I think I've found the ticket to tricking my brain's reward center: ground clove, cinnamon and cardamom, sliced almonds and somewhat less milk than the box calls for. (And a fair bit of brown sugar. ) I slightly overdid the sugar and clove, but it's pretty good for oatmeal.

Share your ideas!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I usually prepare mine the same way every time...half skim milk (or almond milk) and half water, six banana slices, a handful of wild blueberries (the really tiny ones) and a small dollop of natural PB. The bananas melt down making the texture a bit thicker and creamier. Warms me up just thinking about it.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Yes on the nuts and yes on the brown sugar.. Yummmmmm... I like to add some dried fruit too.. raisins.. cranberries.. they plump back up as the oatmeal cooks/steeps. Will have to try the cinnamon/cardamon.

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Nowadays breakfast in the Bob household consists of steel cut oats, either McCanns, or our current fave, Bob's Red Mill (no relation ).

After microwaving* and portioning out into serving bowls , I add a squeeze of honey and some Silk Light vanilla soymilk to mine. I also add a tablespoon or so of lightly toasted flax seeds (for those all-important Omega-3's and a nice bit of crunch).

Leebob adds honey, lowfat milk and sometimes flax seeds to his.

* The Bobs' tried & true method for microwaving steel cut oats (makes 2 servings): Adapted from SadieKate's method
    Mix 0.5 c steel cut oats with 2 to 2.5 c water in a very large Pyrex mixing bowl.
    Seriously, you'll need a very large bowl to prevent a boilover disaster in your microwave. Our bowl just fits inside our standard size microwave, and it hold 4 quarts. If you have a compact microwave you'd best not prepare oatmeal this way.
    Stick it in the microwave and nuke on high for around 10 minutes (we set our timer on 9:99)
    Open the door, stir the oats, shut the door and nuke again on high for around seven minutes (we set it at 6:66)
    Remove the hot bowl carefully from the microwave & portion the oats into 2 serving bowls. Flavor it up as desired.
    These are guidelines; you'll want to experiment with the amount of water to get the consistency you like, and the nuking time will depend on the power of your microwave.

Oh, and please, allow the freakin' bowl to cool off some before you put it in the sink and dump cold water in it!!!
    Yes, I know that sounds obvious, but DH has continuously ignored that. He's a stubborn one.
    So one morning a couple of weeks ago I heard this loud bang come from the kitchen followed immediately by some epithet from Leebob of the sort that would be **'d out here. I ran into the kitchen to find Leebob standing over our sink, which was full of large chunks of shattered Pyrex glass and blobs of oatmeal.
    Luckily, the sink was deep enough so most of the glass stayed in the sink. And the bowl exploded into large pieces so cleanup was relatively easy.
    And Leebob, who thankfully was unhurt and only mildly shaken up, won't be pulling that stupid stunt anymore.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I usually figure if it's more than ten minutes, it's quicker and healthier on the stovetop than in the microwave.

My failsafe* method for a single serving of old-fashioned oats is 7 minutes at 40% power. No stir, no boilover.

(*presuming the large bowl jobob mentioned - a 28 oz Corningware bowl works just fine for 1/3 c oats and 1 c water, with or without dried fruit)
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

If we are talking oatmeal - you all have to try this!

http://shesinthekitchen.blogspot.com...-cinnamon.html

I made it exactly as stated the first time and since then, I've dropped the sugar (just use cinnamon) and the butter and we still love it. I top it with our own raw honey and some chopped walnuts. YUM!!!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I make my steel cut oats with fat free milk. I make a weeks worth at a time one night. In the mornings during the week, I just take out what I am going to eat from the cooked portion and nuke it for a minute.
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

Exploding Pyrex is big time kitchen drama.
    Oatmeal flambe, caused by oatmeal pot boiling over on gas stove and then igniting also has a certain drama. Not a recommended cooking method.

Maybe that is why I usually just stir rolled oats into my yogurt.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I just read about how to cook steel oats in the crock pot using a double boiler method. You put your ingredients into a ceramic bowl that will fit into your crockpot. Put water in the crock, place bowl and ingredients into water, turn on, go to bed - awake to 'perfectly cooked and not sticking to the sides' oatmeal.

I'm going to try it tonight. I'll report back.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    My problem is that I like a little oatmeal in my bowl of brown sugar. Not the other way around. So I mostly stick with Cheerios and try not to worry about all the benefits I'm missing.

Rolled oats in yogurt sounds appealing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I usually figure if it's more than ten minutes, it's quicker and healthier on the stovetop than in the microwave.
    Why healthier?

If I use the microwave, I can go do something else. Stovetop must be babysat and I'm not very good at that.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

By the way, adding fruit and/or nuts to the pot in the microwave sort of works (in Bubba's words) as a bubble suppressant. They help keep the oatmeal from bubbling and blurping over.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I do McCann's steel cut oats on the stove top and walk away from it. It sits on low for 30 minutes while I'm showering and is just fine. Maybe it's 'cause I cook with gas and use stainless steel cookware...

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

DH cooks steel-cut oats in our small (1.5 quart) slow cooker overnight with plenty of dried fruit (cranberry, this time of year), cinnamon, and just a touch of agave syrup. In the morning I add almond milk and a sprinkling of chopped walnuts to mine, and it couldn't be yummier!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow