Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Oatmeal

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just tried steel cut oats for the first time. I simmered them for 25 minutes like the directions said, but the liquid didn't cook off as much as I expected and they're still pretty crunchy/uncooked. They're not bad, but it wasn't the life-changing experience I was hoping for. Not sure they're worth the extra 20 minutes to cook. What did I do wrong?

And to reheat leftovers, would stovetop or oven be better? (I don't have a microwave).

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    I just tried steel cut oats for the first time. I simmered them for 25 minutes like the directions said, but the liquid didn't cook off as much as I expected and they're still pretty crunchy/uncooked. They're not bad, but it wasn't the life-changing experience I was hoping for. Not sure they're worth the extra 20 minutes to cook. What did I do wrong?

And to reheat leftovers, would stovetop or oven be better? (I don't have a microwave).
    I cook mine for at least 30 minutes, sometimes longer. They do have a different texture over rolled oats. Some even use the crockpot and cook them overnight...

Jess, they're substantially chewier than rolled oats. A bit like brown rice, actually. My package says 25 to 30 minutes. It usually takes longer than that. I cook it on low or very low heat until almost all the liquid is absorbed.
    (Added advantage, you see, of not having to clean denatured oat protein and other goo off the entire pot.)

I'd say reheat them on the stovetop with a little water.
    Today's batch was slightly wet--I had just under three cups of oats left in the container. Time to get more!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Ok. I guess since 25 minutes was the recommended time for "creamy" vs. "crunchy" (12 minutes) I was expecting them to taste a little more...cooked. I don't like super-gooey oatmeal so I erred on the side of caution

(These are made by Wheat Montana, and since I don't know how different companies process them I decided to just follow their package instructions)

Adding peanut butter was a great idea, thanks to all who suggested that! Yum!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Thumbs up steel cut oats

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post

soak your oats overnight and then cook them- Generally they require 30 minutes of cooking which is why yours were crunchy. Make a big batch and then reheat with milk and some dried fruit thrown in on the stove. I highly recommend fresh blueberries with a touch of vanilla and a little turbinado sugar.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    soak your oats overnight and then cook them- Generally they require 30 minutes of cooking which is why yours were crunchy. Make a big batch and then reheat with milk and some dried fruit thrown in on the stove. I highly recommend fresh blueberries with a touch of vanilla and a little turbinado sugar.
    I don't add sugar, but they are quite yummy with blueberries, walnuts, and a bit of milk You have already found peanut butter!

I must confess, I have yet to find the magic combination that makes PB+oatmeal palatable for more than half a bowl. My personal favorite way to flavor it is a pinch of salt, a generous amount of cinnamon, and a hefty glug of maple syrup. I usually add walnuts to it, but I'm out. I wonder if it would be tasty with some chunks of apple thrown in toward the end of cooking...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

For me it must be more savory than sweet - and I also want protein to help balance out the carbs. Even if I didn't have to think about my blood sugar I just don't care for sweet hot cereal.

I bet apples would be good! Considering how long it takes to cook they would be stewed quite nicely be the time the oats were done.

I am working from home today due to the ice, and I just had my steel ground oats Time to go scrape the ton of ice off my car and move it much closer to my building before round two starts up - had to park much further away last night than I wanted.

Does anyone mix oats and water together, refrigerate overnight, then microwave it? Just wondering how this turns out. I usually just cook up a batch of oatmeal, put in containers to take to work for breakfast.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

i mix oat in water in a pan and leave covered on stove over night and turn on in morning. i like the texture better this way it is creamer. i eat thick rolled oats. it has never gone bad not being in the fridge. i add raisins and things in morning before cooking. it seems to cook faster.
    Pi - 2010 Luna Orbit / brooks 68 imperial
    Fish - 2009 Marin Bear Valley/ brooks 68
    Trixie - BMX / to be decided

I found a recipe for overnight oats - put everything together and refrigerate and eat old in the morning. There is a variation that uses apple juice instead of the milk. Has anyone tried this cold recipe? I love oatmeal but when I make more than a serving its too mushy or starchy. Maybe it's something I'm doing. I tried both regular oats and steel cut oats. I'm going to give this cold recipe a try but making it when I get up and by the time I get to work it should be ready to eat
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100