Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal

To disable ads, please log-in.

I love oatmeal. I see McDonald's has added oatmeal to their breakfast menu. A friend and I usually meet on Sundays for coffee(and breakfast) - she very obese and usually likes to go to McDonalds or Tim Horton's - since I've been on Weight Watchers, its hard to find healthy things for breakfast. Tim Horton's has oatmeal, but its horendus(sp?), has anyone tried McDonald's oatmeal??? BTW Bob Evans has fantastic oatmeal.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I keep seeing "Oatmeal" when I'm perusing the threads and it makes me hungry! Agh!

I love oatmeal.

Super Charged Oatmeal

My sister made me an oatmeal mix for Christmas and it is fantastic. She also included the recipe. I am just about out of the mix, so I will make some more this week. She used regular oatmeal because she couldn't find steel cut, but when I make it, I'll use the steel cut.

The Recipe: makes 18 servings

* 3 2/3 cups of old fashioned oatmeal
    * 1/3 cup of ground flax seed (your body absorbs more nutrients when the flax seed is ground)
    * 1 cup wheatgerm
    * 1 cup quinoa

Mix the ingredients in an air tight container.

To cook the oatmeal, mix 1/3 cup of oatmeal mix to 2/3 cup of water in a large microwave safe bowl. (It puffs as it cooks.) Cook on medium power for 5-6 min. Stir and enjoy. You could also cook on your stovetop.

I made it the first time in the micro and it made a mess. After the first time, I just made a week's worth on the stove and put it in the fridge. I reheated it in the micro with blueberries in the morning.
    Last edited by abejita; 01-02-2011 at 06:45 AM.
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

do you know how to cook it on stove top for those of us with no microwave?

sounds tasty
    Pi - 2010 Luna Orbit / brooks 68 imperial
    Fish - 2009 Marin Bear Valley/ brooks 68
    Trixie - BMX / to be decided

Quote Originally Posted by jolie View Post
    Eat nut for everyday is good for supplement cerebrum nutrition
    Right.
    And "All your world are belong to us."
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
    do you know how to cook it on stove top for those of us with no microwave?

sounds tasty
    I am going to do that right now...I am just going to cook it like I normally cook my steel cut oats. I put everything in the pot with the correct amount of liquid (I use milk) and simmer it for about 30 min. I'll let you know how it goes...
    Mary

worked great on the stove. Now I have a week's worth of super charged oatmeal!
    Mary

Oatmeal with peanut butter, applesauce, cinnamon and a little brown sugar - very filling. Sometimes I skip the peanut butter and use walnuts instead.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been."

http://www.loveofbikes.com

After reading the yummy posts here on steel-cut oats, I made enough this weekend to save for breakfast the next couple of days. Yummm! I found I liked it better the second day, and I put a few nuts, berries and peanut butter in it. Nice and filling, chewy, and quite good. Much, much better than rolled oats and I am glad that I tried it! I think this may have to become part of my go-to breakfast on long-ride days this year.

I think I might have to get myself some steel-cut oats, then, and save the rolled for cookies. (I think that's a completely legitimate way to eat oatmeal. It's oatmeal! And eggs! And nuts! That's nutritious!)
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I think I might have to get myself some steel-cut oats, then, and save the rolled for cookies. (I think that's a completely legitimate way to eat oatmeal. It's oatmeal! And eggs! And nuts! That's nutritious!)
    hehehehe, we think alike

I actually gave up on rolled oats years ago when I discovered Trader Joe's Multigrain hot cereal - it is still rolled grains but is a combination of different grains, rye/barley/oats/wheat. I really like it, but I like Trader Joe's steel cut oats even better and that is saying a lot! I almost went for the imported Irish steel-cut oats, but at least double the price I said nahhhh, steel-cut is steel-cut as far as I know...

So I had steel cut oats for the first time today. OMG the are good! Next time I probably won't need to add as much of my sweet add ons that I use in my regular rolled oats!
    K
    Last edited by katluvr; 01-11-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    katluvr

I am home ill from work for the rest of the week but I think that steel-cut oats will make an excellent recuperation breakfast...with a few blueberries, PB and a tad bit of milk!

The experiment continues

I picked up some steel-cut oats last weekend and am only just getting around to cooking them. Yesterday I tried them with a pinch of salt, sliced almonds and a few spoonfuls of brown sugar. I needed a lot less than I did with rolled. Today, I tried PB and a little bit of white sugar. Not quite as good. I like the protein boost, though.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Baked Oatmeal

2 cups oatmeal (quick cooking or old fashioned)
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup applesauce
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    yogurt for topping (optional)

Preheat oven to 325*F. In a large bowl combine oatmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix in milk, eggs, applesauce, and brown sugar. Pour into a greased casserole dish (8x8). Bake at 325 for 45 minutes. Serve hot topped with yogurt.

You can cut it into bars and freeze individual portions/bars. Just microwave to heat up.
    Last edited by rubywagon; 01-20-2011 at 09:09 AM.