Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by featuretile View Post
    I eat an oatmeal, oatbran cereal mix every morning. It's easy, tastes great and has lots of nutrition.
    1/4 regular oatmeal
    1/4 oatbran
    a few raisons (keeps it from boiling over in the microwave)
    7/8 cups water
    Microwave for 2 minutes (if using frozen blueberries), then one minute more
    or
    Microwave 3 minutes and add fresh fruit
    Add:
    1TB flax seed
    2 TB vanilla protein powder
    cinnamon
    milk
    Doesn't need any sugar, and you get some protein. It's ready by the time my coffee is done. Enjoy!
    Hmmm...interesting idea adding the protein powder. I'll have to try that the next time. I've never done anything "hot" with protein powder before, because I always feared it would clump up...but I'll give it a go.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Porridge setting on the Zojirushi heat induction rice cooker works for steel cut oatmeal. The warmer will keep the oatmeal warm for hours. Also the rice setting for harder works for quinoa.

You don't cook the protein powder - just stir it in after it is cooked. It just dissolves. You don't get hungry as fast if you add the protein powder.
    2007 Ruby Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2004 Bike Friday Crusoe/Specialized Dolce

You don't cook the protein powder - just stir it in after it is cooked. It just dissolves. You don't get hungry as fast if you add the protein powder.
    If you put it in before you cook it, it will absorb most of your liquid and really give you a totally differently textured oatmeal. Don't ask me how I know this. Stirring it in after it's cooked is MUCH easier!

I do find that mixing it in after it's cooked actually makes my oatmeal 'creamier' which for me, is a bad thing. I can see how most people would probably really like it, though.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

What kind of protein powder do you use? It seems like so many are filled with artificial sweeteners. I'd like to find one that doesn't have much taste to it so I can blend it with other things.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

@bluebug, I don't put protein powder in hot cereal (tried it and thought it was gross), but what I use in cold cereal and smoothies is Garden of Life Raw Protein Powder. Definitely no sweeteners of any kind, mixes well, not really chalky, and an ingredients list that doesn't scare me at all.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks, Oakleaf. I'll have to look for this at my health food store.

And, by the way, I love this thread. My family makes fun of me for the amount of oatmeal I consume. I literally buy it in bulk 15lbs at a time. And I love steel cut oats, too, especially from the crock pot.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Add butter, milk, and brown sugar or raw honey.

A little trail mix does pretty well too.
    I add skim milk and either trail mix or peanut butter. I prefer the trail mix myself. I also like to toss in some frozen blueberries - I freeze a LOT of them when they are in season.

I just by the frozen blueberries @ Costco.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I have oatmeal almost every morning. I buy the bulk steel cut at my local organic foods store.

I put 1/2c oatmeal with 1c water and nuke it for 3 minutes. Then I add 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast and some honey. I like the creamed honey from the local farmers.

If I'm going on a long hike or something like that in the morning I'll put raisins and some nuts in the oatmeal for extra calories.

I use Muscle Milk Vanilla Shake protein powder (from Costco). It does have maltodextrin and sucralose. If you don't like that you could use honey, stevia, xylitol or nothing but the fruit. It's the oatbran mixed in with the oatmeal that gives it a much nicer consistency than plain oatmeal. When I tried cooking steel cut oats, it just took too much time for me.
    2007 Ruby Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2004 Bike Friday Crusoe/Specialized Dolce

My oatmeal the last 2 days contained raisins, 1/4 of a fresh apple, chopped, and a handful of fresh cranberries, cut in half.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by roadie gal View Post

I put 1/2c oatmeal with 1c water and nuke it for 3 minutes. .
    Does this time amount really work for steel cut oats? Seems too easy!

nut for everyday

Eat nut for everyday is good for supplement cerebrum nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by jolie View Post
    Eat nut for everyday is good for supplement cerebrum nutrition

Ok, I'll bite. Is this spam or for real?
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow