Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oatmeal

Steel cut on the stove top - no stir overnight method

To disable ads, please log-in.

You need a bath towel.....

Bring the water to the boil, stir in the oats, bring back to the boil, remove from heat, slap the lid on it, wrap in the towel to keep the heat in for as long as possible. Go to bed.

In the morning you should have cooked oats to portion out. I haven't tried this since last winter, so am writing from memory. If it doesn't work, ummm, Tulip offered the Cheerio alternative
    Beth

alternately, soak the McCanns steel cut oats in a 1 cup oatmeal to 4 cups water, overnight in a pot. In the morning throw in some dried fruit, spices, and nuts and bring to a boil. Lower to a low simmer, cover and go get dressed, shower whatever and then come back to hot oatmeal. Refrigerate the amount you don't eat and then microwave portions as needed. I usually do this on a Saturday night so that I have fresh hot oatmeal for sunday breakfast and then enough to get me through the week as my pre ride, pre workout meal. My current favorite is a few finely chopped cinnamon spiced pecans, red raisins and dried cranberries with skim or rice milk. No silk or soy products for me because of the estrogen.

Good to the last lick of the bowl.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I do enjoy good oats, and steel-cut is pretty good stuff. Isn't the glycemic index high, especially for steel-cut oats? I learned somewhere that it was and that it was best to make certain that protein was included to help balance that out.

I do like to mix in peanut butter or even peanuts in with it - that can add a lot of fat if you aren't careful, but it is pretty yummy When feeling particularly decadent will also mix in dark chocolate chips - just a few of them Milk, always.

The crock pot method worked like a charm! It was SOOOO easy.

Put 3 cups of water & 1 cup of steel cut oats (Bob's Red Mill) in the bowl. Put about 4-5 cups of water in the crock pot and set the bowl in the crockpot water. Put on crock pot cover and set to low. Go to bed.

When I woke up, I had hot, delicious oats waiting for me! Stir in a spoonful of chopped walnuts, chopped dates and a teaspoon of raw honey and YUM!!

They didn't stick, they didn't burn and the crock pot doesn't need to be cleaned! This worked particuarly well for me because I have a lousy crock pot that heats unevenly - by heating water and not the food directly, it came out beautifully. In fact, I think I'm going to try the same method to make brown rice overnight tonight.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I take half a cup of oats, half a cup of water, half a cup of Milk/soy milk, 1 tablespoon of pure cocoa, 3 tablespoons of various seeds, some sliced almonds and cook it slowly.
    Then I mash 1 banana and add some frozen blueberrys and mix this with the cooked oatmeal.
    (Maybe you want to add some more milk.)

i used to make my oatmeal in a thermos overnight. just added oats and boiling water and usually also dried fruit often just raisins. i think plain oatmeal with raisins and a little sugar and soy milk is my favorite.
    Pi - 2010 Luna Orbit / brooks 68 imperial
    Fish - 2009 Marin Bear Valley/ brooks 68
    Trixie - BMX / to be decided

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post

Rolled oats in yogurt sounds appealing, though.
    My current favorite way to do this is yogurt, oats and frozen blueberries and to pack it up for my lunch. The frozen blueberries keep whatever else is in my lunch cold AND they keep me from eating it until they thaw.

By the time the berries thaw, the oats are nice and plumped up.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I love oatmeal! The berries & yogurt & oats sounds good. WIll have to try that. I have 3 large containers of Chobani in my fridge.

I love steel cut oats. I have tried them in my crockpot but my crockpot overcooks them. Now I have a rice cooker which has a brown rice setting. That works perfectly.

I've shared this before but if you want to see creative ways to eat oats, follow this girls' blog. Start on this page too!

http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/

My favorite way to eat oatmeal? Oats in a jar. I love barney butter on my oatmeal and when the jar gets nearly empty (which doesn't happen but a few times a year), I make my hot oats with banana and pour in the jar. There is an extra dose of barney butter at the bottom. YUM!
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Don't they foam in the rice cooker? I tried barley in the rice cooker once (major cleanup headache) - and it seems to me that oats on the stovetop foam even more than barley?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by warneral View Post
    I love oatmeal! The berries & yogurt & oats sounds good. WIll have to try that. I have 3 large containers of Chobani in my fridge.

I love steel cut oats. I have tried them in my crockpot but my crockpot overcooks them. Now I have a rice cooker which has a brown rice setting. That works perfectly.

I've shared this before but if you want to see creative ways to eat oats, follow this girls' blog. Start on this page too!

http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/

My favorite way to eat oatmeal? Oats in a jar. I love barney butter on my oatmeal and when the jar gets nearly empty (which doesn't happen but a few times a year), I make my hot oats with banana and pour in the jar. There is an extra dose of barney butter at the bottom. YUM!
    Heh - I think I need your rice cooker! I tried steel cut oats in mine and they came out a gummy, gross mess. And clean up was a nightmare! Brown rice was even worse and I purposely bought this particular cooker precisely because reviews said it did brown rice well. Liars! Now it sits in the basement because I don't eat white rice.

Maybe this means that my brown rice experiment will work since the steel cut oats worked in my particular crock pot? Fingers crossed...
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Oakleaf - when I made them with 1cup milk, 1 cup steel cut oats, 3 cups water - they boiled over horribly! So then I dumped it and tried 3/4 cup oats and then 3 cups water and no milk. Didn't boil over. They looked watery until I stirred them.

My dh being first generation american eats a lot of rice so it was a good purchase either way
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

partial hijack ... some brown rice has a lot of starchy dust and I think that's what causes it to make a mess in the rice cooker. When I get a batch that seems extra dusty, I'll rinse it before cooking (as I would for sushi rice) and that seems to take care of it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

My mother in law taught me to always wash my rice In Burma, she used to spend hours going through it and making sure there were no bugs - and then rinsing
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I do McCann's steel cut oats on the stove top and walk away from it. It sits on low for 30 minutes while I'm showering and is just fine. Maybe it's 'cause I cook with gas and use stainless steel cookware...

Veronica
    Well, so do we, but I have bad kharma when it comes to leaving things unattended on the stove.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I eat an oatmeal, oatbran cereal mix every morning. It's easy, tastes great and has lots of nutrition.
    1/4 regular oatmeal
    1/4 oatbran
    a few raisons (keeps it from boiling over in the microwave)
    7/8 cups water
    Microwave for 2 minutes (if using frozen blueberries), then one minute more
    or
    Microwave 3 minutes and add fresh fruit
    Add:
    1TB flax seed
    2 TB vanilla protein powder
    cinnamon
    milk
    Doesn't need any sugar, and you get some protein. It's ready by the time my coffee is done. Enjoy!
    2007 Ruby Comp/Specialized Dolce
    2004 Bike Friday Crusoe/Specialized Dolce