Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

yep... salmon is another fish i have discovered i like... it's good with just lemon pepper or lime pepper sprinkled on it... so i'm sure it would be good with some extra fancy stuff on it, too!

Salmon with a splash of teriyaki and good sprinkling of sesame seeds - ten minutes in the toaster oven and done. Yum!!!

An interesting aside -- I've been eating uber-clean for the past two weeks. I made two huge pots of soups - one for lunches, and one for dinners, loaded with tons and tons of veggies and beans for protein. Oatmeal for breakfast. Well, today, the chef at work (I KNOW! Torture!) made some of my favorites, so I did a cheat day. I could barely eat it. Turkey was too salty, spinach has some kind of sauce and was too rich, and the sweet potatoes had been oversweetened. I'm sure to the normal palate, it was fine, but after backing away from salt, fats and sugars (I have been eating lots of fruit though) this was all just too much. I can't wait for my soup for dinner!

I know what you mean. Since May I've been in a flat where we all do our own shopping and cooking, so I figured it would be a good opportunity to eat a little better. And I've been trying not to spend too much money. Lots of veg, less meat (can't get good stuff for a nice price here) and I never buy sodas and cookies (Argh - I'm talking American! ) and other junk at the supermarket. I find now that I have to really want that can of Coke or whatever to be able to finish it.

As for the salmon, you all forgot the best way there is! Throw her on the barbie, mate!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

I didn't mind fish when I was a kid, loathed it with a passion as a teen and love it now. Go figure.

caligurl, in order to burn 3000 to 4000 calories, how far do you bike ride and on what kind of terrain? That's a huge amount to burn (in my opinion) and I am very interested in learning how far you ride. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by tlkiwi
    I didn't mind fish when I was a kid, loathed it with a passion as a teen and love it now. Go figure.
    How can you eat it when you know that fish did swim through all kinds of crappy things and ate a lot of other crappy things.
    I really can't take that picture out of my mind .... although I tried the salmon and it tastes great.

Less crappy things in the water where I'm from! Well, I'm sure there's plenty of crap in the South Pacific, but I exercise a little denial about the whole matter.

Actually, I haven't been buying fish in this part of the world because it's kind of exspensive and I'm never sure how fresh it is.

Kiwi, I know what you mean... I grew up in the Bay of Islands, and the water was always crystal there... you could SEE the fish you were about to catch...

I'd be really unwilling to eat ocean fish in the northern hemisphere, with the sheer volume of sewerage and oil that gets dumped up there as compared to the Antipodes!

But even here, bought fish is quite expensive, and we're what... about 2-3 hours from the ocean no matter where you are in NZ?

And Helen, a well baked side of fresh salmon has got to be one of the most sensuous melt-in-the-mouth experiences on the planet... glad you have at least tried some...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

The furthest place from the sea in NZ is right on the shore of lake Cromwell.

I worked on the coast one summer with a guy who enjoyed trout fishing. Now that's how you get fresh fish (if the sandflies don't drink you dry first - mind you, you can just jump in the river to numb the itching ). We could go down to the beach and collect mussels too. Yum. You do know you're living in the middle of nowhere though when you have to drive for two and a half hours just to get to Hokitka.
    Last edited by DirtDiva; 11-07-2005 at 10:25 AM.

I’m laughing at these posts because I certainly pay attention to how much “crap” is in the water BUT cattle, birds and all wild things poop in the stream. Water flows down hill to farmers’ fields. Crap is spread across his vegetable fields. Enjoy your salads.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I was a dirt-eater as a child. There's not much crap out there my innards haven't seen before.

LOL... the way this thread has run has made me think of a story... my sis in law #4 (I have 4) and I were sitting watching some of our children (2 of her toddlers and two of mine) playing on the shingle at the side of the grass (in a farm house yard - not by the road!).

Sister-in-law #1 had just had her first baby and was going on about keeping baby's things clean.
    SisInLaw#4 said to me quietly some thing like... "you know, when you have your first baby you steralise everything, even their thumbs if you could... but you get to number 3 or 4 and you see them sitting on the driveway eating dog-s**t, and you think ... pah, thet'll be alright"

Of course, we didn't let the kids eat dog-do, but the sentiment was the same... maybe thats why our kids who ate heaps of dirt and grass and goodness knows what else, are very healthy and rarely get sick? Great immune systems been fostered there!

Kiwi... just thinking about your recent bout of illness that frustrated you so... maybe I need to box up some dirt for you to eat - maybe the British soil and air is lacking some inherant Kiwi goodness!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

LOL. I can just picture shaking some dirt into a bowl at the weekend instead of cornflakes. MmmMmm.

Is the whole "BMI" thing really correct for everyone? I mean, bone size and muscle tone come into play too- is all that accounted for? My boyfriend is labled near "obese" on the BMI thing, but: 1) he's a guy (doesn't take that into account, at least not the chart we used), 2) He's really stocky w/ a lot of muscle & thick build. It really gets to him and he's NOT FAT at all! And I'm not just saying this b/c he's my love, he really isn't. I just seem to have a problem w/ things that only take numbers into consideration when telling you whether you need to lose weight or not b/c we are all VERY DIFFERENT. I have other friends that can be completely out of shape and unhealthy, but still factor in right at regular but when they are in good healthy shape & eating all day long w/ exercise they would weigh in as "under" but they are naturally very small petite girls. I don't know, maybe I'm just a skeptic.
    Why should anyone steal a watch when he could steal a bicycle? ~Flann O'Brien