Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Surly Question for Knot

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok. So Surly now released the Cross Check in the one color I have been looking for forever. I learned to drive on my father's 70 Dodge Pickup. It was robin's egg blue. I swore someday I'd have a bike that color. You and I sound similarly proportioned. Longish torso, a love for Brooks B67 saddles, fit well in Levi 501s... What differences did you notice between the Cross Check and the Dew?

The Dew fits me well, except for the extreme toe overlap. I don't think I'd mind a wee bit of overlap, just not this much. I can't be stretched out much further than I am on Kona bikes without back discomfort. I'd like to switch to drop bars. I looked at the Dew Drop but that would mean the same overlap, and another aluminum bike. I want steel. A road bike is too aggressive a posture for me. I'm 5'8 1/2" with a 32" cycling inseam. My Dew is a 54. I've been looking at the specs for the 52 and the 54 Cross Check. I might even get to see one in person when we go to Denver in December, if anyone has one in stock.

Thanks!
    Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

To me, they felt remarkably similar.

I don't recall ever having toe overlap with either bike. Occasionally I'll have a bit on the Surly with the mudflap on my fender, but I hardly consider that an issue.

The CC fits like magic and is just as comfortable as the Dew. I feel like I can put a lot more power through the CC than I can through the Dew. I did eventually take off the drop bars (after trying a couple different ones) and switch to moustache bars on the CC, which I really like.

I can ride the CC a lot longer than the Dew, because there is no fatigue from the aluminum buzz. (I'm one of those people who can feel the buzz. YMMV.)

On the whole, I'd say the CC feels like all the aspects I liked about the Dew got magnified and refined and morphed into this gorgeous simpatico steel creature, filled with fire and passion and a lust for adventure!

Which is why I bought it.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

What size did/do you have (Dew & CC)?
    Thanks!

54cm Dew (I think) and 52 cm Cross Check.

Be sure to use a B67 REGULAR (not short) on a 52 cm CC, so you have enough rail to slide the saddle all the way back. The B67-S (short) will drive you mad.

(oh, and I switched stems when I switched to moustache bars)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 11-28-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I had to get an extra setback seatpost on the Dew. I'm planning to get the standard version on my next bike. The Short will stay on the Dew. I think it will remain my winter commuter, since it is aluminum, and has disc brakes. I couldn't sell it as "never crashed" since we got hit by that truck last March.

Deb

Just a heads up, I'm not sure about any LBS in town but REI - Denver definitely has them in stock. I want one too

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    I want one too
    I melted when I saw this year's color. In May I test-rode a 2010 CC and absolutely loved it. *Except* for the color. I could not get past the "beef gravy brown" and did not want black. A second ride on a different day left me in the same place: still a wonderful bike-still an icky color.

After mulling it over, I decided that if I could get the leftover 2010 at a reasonable price, I could ignore the fact that the color didn't thrill me.

Alas, they would only come down $50 from MSRP. I ordered a 2010 Jamis Aurora sight unseen for the same price and have been very happy with it.

But now they have the CC in this gorgeous robin's egg blue...I would definitely have to sell one of my bikes before adding another one to the stable. It would be nice to have a cross bike some of the unpaved trails in the area...

I'll be wrestling with this all winter.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle

Dredging up a super old thread! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150421_101825694.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	17796 Last year I finally did it. This 52cm. Cross Check followed me home from my LBS. The Soma Buena Vista went to my daughter. I never could really bond with that bike, which was a shame because it was such a beautiful build. I sold the Felt road bike to a friend because it was too twitchy on the terrible paths around here and I never felt safe on it. She loves it! The Kona Dew is sitting in the garage with studded snow tires on it. I can't work up much enthusiasm for riding it after riding steel. The only thing I have done on the Surly is moved my Brooks saddle and Velo Orange seatpost over from the Kona. I also swapped (not in the photo) the bars for Nitto Noodles and short reach Cane Creek brake levers. I love this bike!

Deb

Congratulations! Best Wishes for many happy miles on your CC.

1990 Univega Alpina/(stock) gel saddle
    2009 Specialized Dolce Elite/BG Lithia saddle
    2009 Jamis Coda Sport/Selle Royale Respiro saddle
    2010 Jamis Aurora/Jamis Touring Sport saddle