Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My cheeks hurt :)

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi.
    Besides changing the bike, what can I do to get rid of my burning cheeks ?
    BTW: I am not a beginner so I don't understand why I still get this "treatment"

hmmm, can you be more specific? I'm assuming we're not talking about the cheeks on your face. What saddle, shorts, bike set-up, product routine etc are you using?

Burning "cheeks" mmmmm sounds like a medical problem?!?!?

Are you riding nude? Do you need a better sun screen!?
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam
    Burning "cheeks" mmmmm sounds like a medical problem?!?!?

Are you riding nude? Do you need a better sun screen!?
    Hmmm ... I don't think this can be considered a medical problem. Its just that ... because of the saddle (I guess ...) my cheeks (not the face ones) are hurting ...
    And NO, I am not riding nude
    Can I change only the saddle of the bike ?

But of course! There's a whole section of this forum on people's favourite and most hated saddles so why don't you check it out and get some ideas about which saddles you might like to try.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

HI Helen,

So sorry to hear about your problem, it really stinks when something is stopping us from enjoying our riding to the fullest....

Have you tried Chamois Butt'r? I have a pair of shorts that I really like, but they have a microbial pad in them( to prevent saddle sores) and if I don't use something like that they just stick to me...maybe you are getting chafing/rubbing problems? Also, if they are actually burning, is it possible that your shorts are very thin and maybe you ARE actually getting burnt?? (that's probably not it, but have read in this forum somewhere that we don't realize how bare the shorts are getting until the rider behind you sees your butt through them )

Also, like runnergirl said, how specifically are they burning/hurting? Maybe one of the more experienced girls here would be able to recognize what you are talking about. Hope you are done with this problem soon.

Hi Helen, sure your "burning cheeks" aren't muscle fatigue? You know... "feel the burn"...?

For that i recommend a gentle ride just to ease the muscles a bit...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Raven might have it, there.

If your "cheeks" hurt that's probably a good thing. That's a muscle complaining about being put to work. Have no sympathy, and just keep on pedaling.

I find that a short walk after a ride helps loosen the, um, rearward muscles and make it possible to sit after a hilly ride. You might try walking after rides.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Mmmm, must be the masochist in me, but I love it when my but cheeks or my thighs hurt...

Means I have really worked the muscles...

Yes it hurts and I long for a massage, but I feel very pleased with myself too.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,

Oh yes, I like the feeling of a tired muscle, too. It's just that in my house it is considered polite to SIT at the dinner table.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven
    Hi Helen, sure your "burning cheeks" aren't muscle fatigue? You know... "feel the burn"...?

For that i recommend a gentle ride just to ease the muscles a bit...
    Well ... I guess I am talking about my muscles but I am pretty sure they are not fatigued but squashed from the not so smoth rides I've made this last week.

Thanks for your recommendation but I sincerely think there is no such thing as "gentle ride" ...
    Maybe all I need is to change my sadle ... What kind of sadle should I buy ? Are they all going to fit on my bike ?

Lots of threads here on women specific seats (try searching for discussion).

Generally they are a bit wider where your sit bones go, and have a cut out piece so our "girly bits" dont get squished.

There are several shapes of women's pelvis' so try out some seats and see what feels good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven
    Lots of threads here on women specific seats (try searching for discussion).

Generally they are a bit wider where your sit bones go, and have a cut out piece so our "girly bits" dont get squished.

There are several shapes of women's pelvis' so try out some seats and see what feels good for you.
    That's great because my present seat is a 100% boys seat even with that hole in the middle.
    BTW: Does anyone of you knows what the heck that hole does ?

Quote Originally Posted by Helen
    That's great because my present seat is a 100% boys seat even with that hole in the middle.
    BTW: Does anyone of you knows what the heck that hole does ?
    For me, the saddle cutout prevents chafing and rawness of the inner girly bits. I can't ride a saddle without one without quite a bit of discomfort during a ride and even more afterwards - when I pee and when I shower/wash there. Owwwww!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc
    I can't ride a saddle without one without quite a bit of discomfort during a ride and even more afterwards - when I pee and when I shower/wash there. Owwwww!

Emily
    So let me see if I understood correctly. You are saying that riding a saddle with the cutout in it its a good thing ?