Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen
    So let me see if I understood correctly. You are saying that riding a saddle with the cutout in it its a good thing ?
    It really depends on you. I tried several saddles with a cutout and hated them; I (comfortably) ride a saddle without a cutout. But for other people the cutout helps. In my experience, you need to keep trying saddles until you find the right one for your body and your style of riding. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to figure that out short of riding with different saddles!
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 10-12-2005 at 12:21 PM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by Helen
    So let me see if I understood correctly. You are saying that riding a saddle with the cutout in it its a good thing ?
    Yes, for me a cutout is a must. MUST. HAVE. CUTOUT.

But, everyone is different. Your mileage may vary!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Helen: have you talked to your LBS? You might see what their return policy is on saddles and/or they may let you try some out. As you can see from Denise and Ems' opposite viewpoints - it's a truly personal thing. Same thing for a womens saddle vs a mens saddle. The best thing you can do is try different saddles until you find the one the works for you. And let us know what you find - we Love hearing about what saddles work for whom and why!

and good luck!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Women vs Men's saddles

I hate women's saddles. They're so big in the back that they chafe my legs. I'd rather ride a banana seat.

Denise is right - you really need to try out different saddles. Don't forget shorts - there are lots of combinations of chamois padding that can work (or not!) for you.

They can send a man to the moon, but can they help a woman get a comfortable ride? Maybe if we moon the man, we'll get some action!
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama
    They can send a man to the moon, but can they help a woman get a comfortable ride? Maybe if we moon the man, we'll get some action!
    or a comfortable ride?.....OMG did I just type that??
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Serfa RX

I am pretty happy with this saddle...put one on all three of my bikes, mtb, cross and road.....they have a men's and women's model....fairly close, but the men's model is slightly longer and narrower. The cutout basically goes the entire length of the saddle, all the way to the front which is why I like it....they common in leather and some sort of synthetic cover....I prefer the leather....most bike shops will let you try a saddle out for a week or two to make sure you like it....also, the chamois cream is a must for longer rides...

Quote Originally Posted by tomgrrrl
    The cutout basically goes the entire length of the saddle, all the way to the front which is why I like it....they common in leather and some sort of synthetic cover....I prefer the leather....most bike shops will let you try a saddle out for a week or two to make sure you like it....also, the chamois cream is a must for longer rides...
    You know ... I didn't even ask them if I could try some more saddles before I make my decision. I think I'll go and talk to them right now. Thanks a lot.

CorsairMac: YEAP .. you definitively said that.

I have to have a cut out (or "love channel as it was marketted on the packaging...)

When on the mountain bike with the kids in the paddock, I am upright and don't miss it... but on my road bike, where i lean forward and pressure goes on my girly bits, the cut out has made a huge difference, especially now my distances are starting to creep up...

Def have a chat to LBS - pref some women riders so they can give you their experince of what is availbale at LBS...

Good luck, Helen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRaven

Def have a chat to LBS - pref some women riders so they can give you their experince of what is availbale at LBS...
    Thanks RoadRaven. I will try all of them until I find the one I feel ok with.

You know, I just had a thought. If the LBS has a Serotta fit bike (or an equivalent) they might be willing to put each saddle on for you to try in the shop. It isn't the best but it's a whole lot easier than buying, trying, returning, repeat. Some saddles will provoke an almost immediate so why take it home.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

i'm lost

What's a cut out??? I've been following this thread for a while and thought now would be a great time to ask.

I can't describe the seat i have..just a normal one..although it says wtb on it..does that help??

I would like to buy a new seat but it doesn't have to be comfortable...

c

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck
    What's a cut out??? I've been following this thread for a while and thought now would be a great time to ask.
    I can't describe the seat i have..just a normal one..although it says wtb on it..does that help??
    c
    Hey Crazy a cut out is a hole in your saddle with a designed shape and size to take the pressure of your soft tissue.

I have tried a few different saddles and I prefer one with a cut out.

I have a Selle San Marco Atola if you go to the Selle San Marco site you can check out the cut outs.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

c
    I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at your statement that your saddle doesn't have to be comfortable. If it's not comfortable, you will likely ride less - not a good thing. I'd encourage you to try as many saddles as needed to find one that gives you a comfortable ride.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

comfy but not overly comfy

Hey denise,

My seat is comfy but not overly comfy...does that make sense? I rarely think about what i'm sitting on for some reason...

I met some bikers today with a cutout on their seat (they were biking from perth to albany), the woman is a regular mtber and said it doesn't make much of a diff..

I think i'll venture to either my lbs or another reputable one i know and speak to them about it...

I might just stick with the type of seat i have now...

c

I met some bikers today with a cutout on their seat (they were biking from perth to albany), the woman is a regular mtber and said it doesn't make much of a diff..
    Hey Crazycanuck,
    It all depends on how you feel with different saddles and its different from one person to another ... I say you try some of them and see which is the most comfortable.