Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Need Help Finding a Seat Collar

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is about parts but hoping this area has more visibility and someone can help. My mountain bike came with a quick release style seat collar and I hate it. My seat tends to work it's way down, DH had the same problem but resolved it by putting a Salsa Liplock collar on. I ordered myself one in pink which was going to look great, the problem is my 31.6mm seat does not work with the 35mm because the seat post hole on the frame needs a 36mm. Salsa only goes up to 35 in the pink.

Anyone know of a pink 36mm seat collar? If not pink, I will take black or white but I will be sad.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

If you can't get a pink one, consider asking your Gary Fisher dealer about your seat post slipping. They've probably heard of it before and have a solution - maybe even a bolted collar, maybe even for free! (I'd consider a seat post slipping a warranty issue.)

'09 Trek 7.3 FX hybrid / Jett 155mm
    '09 Cervelo P3 TT / looking
    '11 Cervelo S3 road / Selle Royal Seta 155mm
    Ischial tuberosities: 140mm center to center

There's some folks on Ebay that anodize stuff in all different colors. I can't remember their seller ID and I've never bought from them, but you might check there.

Quote Originally Posted by dianne_1234 View Post
    If you can't get a pink one, consider asking your Gary Fisher dealer about your seat post slipping. They've probably heard of it before and have a solution - maybe even a bolted collar, maybe even for free! (I'd consider a seat post slipping a warranty issue.)
    In mountain biking seat height can be changed a lot depending on terrain, so I can't imagine any dealer taking that idea seriously on a mountain bike. It's more a matter of correct post, correct collar etc. You don't bolt collar on a mtb, as you need to be able to change the height.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

If the issue is that the clamp just doesn't clamp tight enough, but there is space - the slit in the collar has space to tighten - you could try tightening it up more? (Yea, I know you probably tried that already.) If the collar slit is drawing together so cannot tighten further, have you tried sanding that down to make some space to allow it to tighten more? (I can't imagine getting a bike with a clamp that closes before the post is tight but anything can happen, I guess.)

I mean, a clamp is a clamp is a clamp. As long as there is room for the clamp to draw together more, you should be able to tighten it more. You could also try unscrewing the qr bolt and handle part of the clamp and replacing that with a bolt, a few washers and nut, converting it into a bolt on.

When I had this issue on my CF MTB, I was afraid to clamp it tighter as it is CF, but I gave it half a turn more, and used that paste that is for stopping CF from slipping (looks like grease but has tiny flecks of grit in it to provide friction) on the post, and the two together stopped the slipping.
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

I know very few if any mountain bikers in my area that actually adjust seat height, if they do it would be in a class type setting. I know of situations it helps but it rarely applies to our area and type of riding. If I were to ride in a situation I needed to do it I can keep the quick release style and swap out.

On a more vain note I think the polished silver is not as nice looking and want to switch it. The seat might slip a modest amount in a long ride, like 1/8" maybe a 1/4" but my knees will start hurting when it does. Over time if I don't pay attention it may have slid over 1/2". It isn't falling down or anything like that.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Try using carbon assembly paste:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/re...Paste.388.html

It will add some grit so the seat post doesn't slip, even if your seatpost or frame isn't carbon.