Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Your opinions on these trainers?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Guys,
    I am a very wobbly beginner so I'm not looking to do kick *** training, just a little session several times a week when it's snowing etc. I would really appreciate opinions on these three trainers as there seems to be lots of variables. I won't be doing hundreds of miles so probably won't need to bother about training tires? I have a Pashley with hub brakes and gears.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...undle-ec024624

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...ainer#features

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...ainer#features

Minoura makes a good product, but so does Cycle Ops. So either brand is good. I had the one that puts the pressure on the rims (your second choice) when I first started biking. I liked it a lot because it didn't wear out my tires and I could put the mountain bike with the knobby tires on the trainer without changing out the back tire to a slick. It was also very easy to get my bike on and off of it.

When I started to do 1+ hour rides on the trainer I finally had to go to something more heavy duty.

If you think you might work up to longer rides and don't want to have to replace the trainer, go for the Cycle Ops unit. They have a reputation for being bombproof. (I've never owned one though.)

The first one seems expensive for what you get.

Thanks for posting those links, makes it easy to "see" each model. (I'm a visual person!)

I'd get this one:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...ainer-ec024623

I've used a lot of different trainers and Minoura mag trainers have always been my favorites. I prefer no remote (handlebar control knob) because the cable always seems to be a hassle. The non-remote Minouras are easy to adjust with my toe anyway.

Minouras are generally quieter and lighter weight and cause less vibration than other brads (in my experience). Easy for me to get my bike in and out of too.

Oh yeah, the ones I've tried fold flatter than CycleOps. Easier to store.

(I never was passionate about trainer brands until trying many, now I like the cheaper Minoura models for the reasons above).

(Guess I should say I don't work for Minoura, even though it sounds like I do.)

'09 Trek 7.3 FX hybrid / Jett 155mm
    '09 Cervelo P3 TT / looking
    '11 Cervelo S3 road / Selle Royal Seta 155mm
    Ischial tuberosities: 140mm center to center

Minoura

The minoura quick release is much better than the cycle ops. The cycle ops is harder to lock into place and the ball on the quick release handle has fallen off on 2 of the ones I've used. I've only used the V150, and not the other red one. I was a little skeptical at first because it didn't look as sleek and modern as the cycleops or blackburn, but it worked really well and ran smoothly. I agree with the other post about the remote shifter. It just kind of gets in the way, and your bike shifters will change the resistance anyway.

I've got the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine trainer, which is pretty nice. It is my first and only trainer and I have had no problems yet. Prior to that I had rollers.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/road-machine-p-35-l-en.html

Thanks girls, I had been thinking about the first one (first link I posted) because it seemed the bundle was good value. Mats don't seem to come less than £50, front blocks - the cheapest I could find is £14. I'd quite like a trip computer thingy and they also seem to be about £50.

I will mull over your comments and be pleased to get any others.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by stella2 View Post
    Thanks girls, I had been thinking about the first one (first link I posted) because it seemed the bundle was good value. Mats don't seem to come less than £50, front blocks - the cheapest I could find is £14. I'd quite like a trip computer thingy and they also seem to be about £50.

I will mull over your comments and be pleased to get any others.

Cheers
    The matt - I use a flattened cardboard box
    front tire leveler - I use old phonebooks
    computer - this is a little more complicated, I bought a super cheap cycling computer and jerry-rigged a mount for it on the trainer.
    Yes, I set this all up in my living room and all winter long I have a bike on a giant piece of old greased up cardboard and tattered phonebooks in the main room of my house. But the total cost for these was $0, or ~$20 if you include the cycle computer (which I can't see when I ride, but I set it up that way on purpose).
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    The matt - I use a flattened cardboard box
    front tire leveler - I use old phonebooks
    computer - this is a little more complicated, I bought a super cheap cycling computer and jerry-rigged a mount for it on the trainer.
    Yes, I set this all up in my living room and all winter long I have a bike on a giant piece of old greased up cardboard and tattered phonebooks in the main room of my house. But the total cost for these was $0, or ~$20 if you include the cycle computer (which I can't see when I ride, but I set it up that way on purpose).
    I commend you, really I do, but I'm too obsessional about tidyness

For the mat, we purchased the inexpensive carpet runner by the linear foot from one of the home improvement stores. I haven't used the trainers that you are considering, but give another vote for the Kurt Kinetic.
    1972 Schwinn Paramount
    2006 Serotta Coeur d'Acier
    2007 Holland Exogrid
    2008 Salsa Casseroll
    2010 Scott Contessa 20

Another vote for Kurt Kinetics...we got the rock and roll this fall and love it!
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

We have two Cycle Ops trainers, one of which is 10 years old and still going strong! I've been pleased with both its durability and their customer service.

Some general thoughts:
    Remote shifters annoy me. One more thing to fuss with and little benefit, IMO.
    If you can, ride different brands and models first. I've ridden some that I've hated and others that I loved. They're not all the same...
    Pay close attention to how the bike mounts in the trainer and how easy it is to use. You're going to use that lever/knob a lot! Something that requires turning a knob multiple times to anchor the bike quickly gets old.

Have fun shopping!