Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just Ordered A Surly LHT

To disable ads, please log-in.

Spent about 3 hours at FreeRangeCycles in Seattle testing different bikes. I'm looking for a bike for touring/camping (weekends and longer trips). I decided on the Surly LHT with 26" wheels in black. It will be available in about one week - so I have some time to decide on the saddle, pedals and any other changes/upgrades. Here is what I'm thinking....any feedback is appreciated.

Peddles - flat on one side with SPD on the other
    Saddle - Brooks B17
    Adding extended brakes (still debating this $75 option)
    Silver metal fenders
    Rack - reuse either a Blackburn or Trek rack

Other things I need to consider:
    Light
    Computer
    Handlebar bag

I just bought a B.O.B. trailer off craigslist. So I don't need pannier bags yet.

I've worked long hours this year without much time for fun. This purchase is a reward for the work and an incentive to get out and have fun in 2011. Is there anything else I should consider for outfitting this bike?

Thanks,
    Dog
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    SA-weet!!!! Congrats on ordering your new ride!! Sounds like you deserve a little treat after all that work you've been doing!

I love chrome/steel fenders- I think they are just so classy looking.
    Sounds like you've thought of it all. I can't wait to see what it looks like (you *will* post pics, right?)
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Teehee...WANT! I might go up to REI later and play around on a cross check

I'm excited to see pictures of your LHT!

Way to go!
    You'll get more ideas for what you want to add as you ride around.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Awesome! You must be super excited!
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

Sweet! Congratulations to a new LHT owner, or soon to be I think the dual-sided pedals are perfect for this particular bike, that is what I moved to in August. Right now I am back to BMX pedals, but that is due to a lengthy injury recovery.

You might want to consider adding a rack trunk to your collection, I find my Arkel to be quite versatile, at least at this point I've no need for panniers. You can see the Arkel in my avatar - which is my LHT.

Regardless how you outfit your LHT, I think you will love it!

Yo Dog,

I bought a black, 26" wheels Surly LHT myself last August and absolutely love the bike. DivingBiker and I rode the C&O Canal Towpath for three days in October and the bike performed well (except for shifting under load a couple of times where the chain locked up on me), but other than that no complaints. I'm attaching a couple pictures of the bike taken during our trip. As you'll see, I've added a pletscher kickstand which allows the bike to be parked on one wheel while the other is airborn making it easier to change the tube, if necessary or perform chain maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Spent about 3 hours at FreeRangeCycles in Seattle testing different bikes. I'm looking for a bike for touring/camping (weekends and longer trips). I decided on the Surly LHT with 26" wheels in black. It will be available in about one week - so I have some time to decide on the saddle, pedals and any other changes/upgrades. Here is what I'm thinking....any feedback is appreciated.

Saddle - Brooks B17
    Silver metal fenders

Light
    Computer
    Handlebar bag
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0858.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	12261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0878.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	12262  
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Very nice. I know you must be excited. You have to share the pics with us when you pick it up!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

I will absolutely post pictures. I'm also looking forward to lightening up my road bike so she can feel frisky again!
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

Sweet. I love my LHT. I'm still not a fan of my Brooks (on my 520), but I think my sit bones are slightly too wide. Just slightly. Eventually, I will switch to a less appealing looking, but more comfortable saddle. I got the Blue Velvet LHT and man it's just spectacular in person! I'm sure the Black will look amazing! I have a Blackburn rack on my LHT now and Waterproof Seattle Sports Panniers (similar in design to Ortliebs, but much, much cheaper) that work wonderfully.

I have a Planet Bike Superflash tail light that is awesome - so 1 recommendation there.

What fenders are you getting for the 26 inch tires? Mine are Planet Bike but even after tweaking, I'm not very happy with them. The fit isn't as close to the tire as I'd like. Doesn't look very "sleek" in my opinion. After all my babbling, my point is.... keep us posted.
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

Quote Originally Posted by moderncyclista View Post
    I'm still not a fan of my Brooks (on my 520), but I think my sit bones are slightly too wide. Just slightly. Eventually, I will switch to a less appealing looking, but more comfortable saddle.
    The B17 you have on Buckley is technically a men's saddle. Even though it's wider than the average man's saddle, many women prefer the B67 or B68. (BleekerStGirl wrote out her saga of trying the B17 and moving on to the better fitting B68.)

You might want to consider selling your B17 and buying a B68 or B67 instead. Just as appealing looking, but more comfortable.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I decided on the more expensive SKS fenders over Planet Bike fenders and am quite happy with them. They told me at my LBS that all fenders on an LHT will be a little further from the tire than most other bikes due how the design of the bike. They further explained that same geometry means there is far less likelihood of toe overlap being an issue.

If you really want to do some drooling, check out Velo Orange for metal fenders. They're not cheap but they fit my LHT like a glove and they look very nice.

I bought my LHT at Free Range too. They're a great shop. I've spent the last five years pimping out my Trucker, from top to bottom. I think I finally have it just right. Give it some time and miles to decide what you want to add. The bike will tell you what it needs. bikerHen

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    The B17 you have on Buckley is technically a men's saddle. Even though it's wider than the average man's saddle, many women prefer the B67 or B68. (BleekerStGirl wrote out her saga of trying the B17 and moving on to the better fitting B68.)

You might want to consider selling your B17 and buying a B68 or B67 instead. Just as appealing looking, but more comfortable.
    I've got to admit I'm a little gun shy about buying another Brooks. I feel so ridiculous. I got this one as a gift last x-mas. Now I have surruptitiously hide the fact I'm getting another saddle. I ride my bike to all family gatherings and make them let me put it inside their houses (yes I am THAT insane about my bikes) so this will be difficult.

I appreciate the suggestions on sizes. B68 or b67 hmmm. I should've asked 'em to get it from Wallbike shouldn't I?
    "Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post

Saddle - Brooks B17
    Silver metal fenders

Light
    Computer
    Handlebar bag

I just bought a B.O.B. trailer off craigslist. So I don't need pannier bags yet.

I've worked long hours this year without much time for fun. This purchase is a reward for the work and an incentive to get out and have fun in 2011. Is there anything else I should consider for outfitting this bike?

Thanks,
    Dog
    Consider some emergency kits and a gps too in case something unexpected happens!