Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bike!

New Bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My new cross bike is here! Decided to go with the Trek/Gary Fisher Erwin - 50cm. Trying to keep the cost down. Was able to try it out real quick on Wed. Fit feels great. Ride was a blast - I have some nice trails right out the door. The only thing that makes me a little sad is the 105-Tiagra mix. My road bike is Ultegra. I never realized how different the grouppos (sp?) could feel!! But I really wanted an entry level bike ($$$) so that's what I got! I love the steel ride, though! Heading out for a ride shortly!!!!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm not familiar with that bike, but I'm glad you are enjoying it! You can change the components if they are not working out for you.

I've read some good things about the Erwin. If the bike feels good, the components can be upgraded at a later date. Enjoy the new bike!

Deb
    2016 Kona Rove ST (M/L 54) WTB Volt
    Camp Stove Green Surly Karate Monkey (M) WTB Volt
    Kona Dew Deluxe (54cm) Brooks B67-S

Congrats on the new bike! Will we see you at some races this season? It was great to meet you in Plymouth.

hurrah and congrats! so glad you were able to get a bike so quickly. it took me over a year to finally bite the bullet and get one once i saw a cross race and wanted to try it now get out there and get muddy!

I really like it. I've been out a few times. My only beef is the toe overlap - which is getting in my head a bit. I've never experienced it before. Didn't really know it existed. Is this common? My hubby says it's no big deal. I'm now thinking shorter crank and new fork!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    Congrats on the new bike! Will we see you at some races this season? It was great to meet you in Plymouth.
    I will be in Sterling watching my hubby. I'm thinking of trying Warwick. I've taken a couple of spills in the woods (the woods are so soft compared to blacktop!) doing stupid things. I want a little more practice so I don't wipe out others if I race. I'm a 100% off road newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by Gidget506 View Post
    I really like it. I've been out a few times. My only beef is the toe overlap - which is getting in my head a bit. I've never experienced it before. Didn't really know it existed. Is this common? My hubby says it's no big deal. I'm now thinking shorter crank and new fork!!!!
    OMG! I rode in my first race yesterday, and I recently had a bike fit done where my cleats where placed further back on my shoes. Since I primarily ride my 'cross bike on the roads and don't do any "hairpin" turns, I was surprised at the toe overlap. I hit my foot several times on my front tire. I thought about it - at that second - but it was 28 degrees, and I was far too cold to worry about it any longer at the time. I'll schedule time with my fitter to discuss.
    Congrats on the new bike! Have fun on it
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Quote Originally Posted by JennK13 View Post
    OMG! I rode in my first race yesterday, and I recently had a bike fit done where my cleats where placed further back on my shoes. Since I primarily ride my 'cross bike on the roads and don't do any "hairpin" turns, I was surprised at the toe overlap. I hit my foot several times on my front tire. I thought about it - at that second - but it was 28 degrees, and I was far too cold to worry about it any longer at the time. I'll schedule time with my fitter to discuss.
    Congrats on the new bike! Have fun on it
    Yes, I am calling my bike guy today to discuss. The crank is 170mm - I think I can easily get away with a 155 or 160 - I'm only 5'4". Plus, the tires are 700x34. I guess you're supposed to have 32 or less for competition. So I'll go with some 30's.That might fix the problem. Like you said, it was 28 degrees and you were racing - so you didn't worry about it. And I think most folks don't worry about it.

How was your first race!?!?

Good luck finding 155 or 160 cranks - those are very un-standard!

I had a small-framed road bike w/toe overlap (even with 650c wheels!), and it really wasn't a big problem on a road bike as you rarely turn that sharply on the road, but on a cross bike or mtb, I'd think it would be more of an issue. Good luck getting it taken care of. Small frame sizes make life difficult in a lot of ways - that's one reason I ride a Bike Friday (w/20" wheels) now!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Good luck finding 155 or 160 cranks - those are very un-standard!

I had a small-framed road bike w/toe overlap (even with 650c wheels!), and it really wasn't a big problem on a road bike as you rarely turn that sharply on the road, but on a cross bike or mtb, I'd think it would be more of an issue. Good luck getting it taken care of. Small frame sizes make life difficult in a lot of ways - that's one reason I ride a Bike Friday (w/20" wheels) now!
    Wow, 20" wheels. I'll have to google Bike Friday! I've never been aware of it on my road bike - but like you say, I never turn sharply. It seems unfair that smaller cranks are so un-standard. I understand manufacturers having to sell bikes with a standard size (seems there are a lot of 170's) - but the smaller stuff should be available!! My brother is a machinist. If my bike guy can't deliver perhaps I will have my brother drill a new hole on the crank I have!! But that would end up being 150ish I bet.

Wow, 20" wheels. I'll have to google Bike Friday! I've never been aware of it on my road bike - but like you say, I never turn sharply. It seems unfair that smaller cranks are so un-standard. I understand manufacturers having to sell bikes with a standard size (seems there are a lot of 170's) - but the smaller stuff should be available!! My brother is a machinist. If my bike guy can't deliver perhaps I will have my brother drill a new hole on the crank I have!! But that would end up being 150ish I bet.
    Bike Fridays are folding bikes - that's why the small wheels. But they ride great and are super responsive; I run slightly wider tires on them than I did on my 650c-wheeled road bike, so the ride isn't harsh at all, and those puppies accelerate like demons!

You'll definitely be able to find 165 cranks, but the others will be tougher to locate. I know they are made, but they will likely be pretty $. Good luck!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Yes, I am calling my bike guy today to discuss. The crank is 170mm - I think I can easily get away with a 155 or 160 - I'm only 5'4". Plus, the tires are 700x34. I guess you're supposed to have 32 or less for competition. So I'll go with some 30's.That might fix the problem. Like you said, it was 28 degrees and you were racing - so you didn't worry about it. And I think most folks don't worry about it.

How was your first race!?!?
    Yes, UCI made a rule change for 2011 changing the maximum tire width from 35mm to 33mm. USA Cycling hasn't adopted that yet. My bike came with 32s, and when I wore those out, the 'cross guys suggested 34s which are on it now. Most amatuer racers aren't affected by the rule change, and the wider tires certainly have their use!

The race itself was fun; relatively easy course at an athletic field so it was mostly grass with embankments that they made use of, and they used the sand volleyball pit as a barrier along with some euro style barricades going up a hill, and several sections on the sidewalk.
    Great course for a first timer!! The frosty on the grass made it slippery, and lots of people were going down on the turns which were always at the top or bottom of a climb (fortunately, I stayed upright!! ) My body felt fine as far as racing, but I was not prepared for the temperature. It wasn't that cold when I took the dog out before packing up to leave, and I thought I would be fine in what I took to wear. Well, the temperature dropped and the fog rolled in. I have no tolerance for the cold, and suffered miserably for it. Seriously, I could not feel my hands and had to look at them to see if I was shifting because I couldnt feel it; my lungs were on fire from breathing in that subfreezing air. I'm really surprised my legs didn't cramp and that I didn't pull something from being cold, but I guess my knickers and warming up helped with that. When my husband arrived after the race start and found me on the course, he asked "How are you doing? Because you LOOK miserable". I was miserable, but I was still having fun
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Quote Originally Posted by JennK13 View Post
    Yes, UCI made a rule change for 2011 changing the maximum tire width from 35mm to 33mm. USA Cycling hasn't adopted that yet. My bike came with 32s, and when I wore those out, the 'cross guys suggested 34s which are on it now. Most amatuer racers aren't affected by the rule change, and the wider tires certainly have their use!

The race itself was fun; relatively easy course at an athletic field so it was mostly grass with embankments that they made use of, and they used the sand volleyball pit as a barrier along with some euro style barricades going up a hill, and several sections on the sidewalk.
    Great course for a first timer!! The frosty on the grass made it slippery, and lots of people were going down on the turns which were always at the top or bottom of a climb (fortunately, I stayed upright!! ) My body felt fine as far as racing, but I was not prepared for the temperature. It wasn't that cold when I took the dog out before packing up to leave, and I thought I would be fine in what I took to wear. Well, the temperature dropped and the fog rolled in. I have no tolerance for the cold, and suffered miserably for it. Seriously, I could not feel my hands and had to look at them to see if I was shifting because I couldnt feel it; my lungs were on fire from breathing in that subfreezing air. I'm really surprised my legs didn't cramp and that I didn't pull something from being cold, but I guess my knickers and warming up helped with that. When my husband arrived after the race start and found me on the course, he asked "How are you doing? Because you LOOK miserable". I was miserable, but I was still having fun
    Wow! I see the fog in your photo. Couldn't feel your hands? Yikers. Sounds like you hung in there and had a great race anyhow! Good job!

I was about to return the bike. The toe overlap was really debilitating. I was working through it with the shop who sold it to me. He was awesome and ready to do whatever it took to get me in the right bike - even though this one had to be ordered and had been ridden (and crashed cuz of the overlap) quite a bit as I had kept plugging away thinking I was going to get used to it. One rep suggested 20mm spacers added to the pedal. I figured what the heck. IT WORKED! Now I barely brush the tire. I can make all sorts of crazy turns!! I just rode for 2 hours in the rain! YEEHAW! I read online that the spacers are good for folks with ITB issues. I suffer with ITBS and it affects the running in my Tris - so if this works out maybe I will explore these spacers for my Madone. I'd love to get rid of this hip pain.

My hubby signed me up for Warwick on Sunday. Getting nervous! But I am so happy!