Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Bike!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidget506 View Post
    One rep suggested 20mm spacers added to the pedal. I figured what the heck. IT WORKED! Now I barely brush the tire. I can make all sorts of crazy turns!! I just rode for 2 hours in the rain! YEEHAW!
    Spacers on pedals??? What are those? Never heard of that....
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Quote Originally Posted by JennK13 View Post
    Spacers on pedals??? What are those? Never heard of that....
    They come in three sizes. I bought the smallest - 20mm. Basically, you just take off the pedal and put this steel 20mm spacer onto the crank arm and then screw the pedal to that. It is very strong. I don't feel any flex or anything. I think they were invented for folks who have different physical issues - like their heels hit bike. Or folks who have to toe out more - something that would perhaps be good for me with the ITB issue. I haven't had any knee or hip pain while riding. I'll be going out again tomorrow.

It is so awesome to be able to turn without fear. It was really getting in my head. I'm going to replace my 34's with 32's. Then I bet I won't even brush the tire!!!

Thanks for the tip about the pedal spacers, gidget. I'll try and find them for my partner whose right ankle consistently hits the crank...

Far as CX goes I had a very strange race on Sunday on frozen grass and mud. Lots of falls in the corners and you had to hang on for grim death when descending. Ice patches were getting polished into something like glass with the passage of 98 riders. There was also a fearsome-looking snowy bank that was actually quite easy to ride up if you really attacked it. Great fun. I used 30mm clinchers @55 psi, file tread on front, studs back. No falls or flats - plenty of slips though. Finished 60th, well pleased with that. I got beat by a chap in running shoes riding an old bike and wearing shorts! I'll probably join a local club for neaxt season, it would be nice to compare notes with people after the race...

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Thanks for the tip about the pedal spacers, gidget. I'll try and find them for my partner whose right ankle consistently hits the crank...

Far as CX goes I had a very strange race on Sunday on frozen grass and mud. Lots of falls in the corners and you had to hang on for grim death when descending. Ice patches were getting polished into something like glass with the passage of 98 riders. There was also a fearsome-looking snowy bank that was actually quite easy to ride up if you really attacked it. Great fun. I used 30mm clinchers @55 psi, file tread on front, studs back. No falls or flats - plenty of slips though. Finished 60th, well pleased with that. I got beat by a chap in running shoes riding an old bike and wearing shorts! I'll probably join a local club for neaxt season, it would be nice to compare notes with people after the race...
    You can get them online. I bought them where I bought my bike and they were only 19.99. Online I see them around 40.00 I think. Don't know the difference - perhaps online they are higher quality metal (lighter?).

Your race sounds unbelievable!!! I see you are in the UK. And I think I heard on the news you all had a freakish snow event! WOW! Sounded like a nail biter for sure!! Studded rear tire! That is an event!!!

Yes, I think joining a club is the way to go. My LBS went out of business this year so there are not a lot of local contacts.