Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face "Girly" question

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, this is a little embarassing, but I need help. I've finished two 1/2-iron distance tri's as well as my first IM in July. (Yahoo!) Obviously, like you I do lots of riding. My problem is this...my pubic area is soooo sore during my rides, that I can barely stand to ride longer distances. Some people complain about their butts hurting...but my problem is in the front....especially at my "hot spot" if you know what I mean It typically hurts for a day or so after a long ride...and that stinks for me and my husband

I have had a professional fitting, I use a women's specific saddle, Assos women's bike shorts (that cost $$$) as well as Body Glide "down there". But the problem presists. How are you able to stay in the aero position for long rides without losing all feeling in one of the most sensitive areas? HELP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Star
    How are you able to stay in the aero position for long rides without losing all feeling in one of the most sensitive areas? HELP!!!
    Hi Star, sorry I don't have an answer for you but I did have another question. In the races you're doing are you emerging from the water and hopping on a bike...if so (since you've tried all the other options) maybe it's irritation from being too wet there??

Electra Townie 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Star
    I use a women's specific saddle
    Have you tried different saddles or a men's saddle? The tri position put you forward and down on your saddle. The pressure points are very different than a typical road position. Also, a custom fitting doesn't mean you can't experiment. All it means is that the LBS has done the best they can at giving you a good solid starting point.

I have never used saddles with a cut out. I was surprised to see at the triathlon on Saturday that just about everyone was using a cut-out saddle and they all looked pretty far forward (which I did expect) on the post to get the cut out in the best spot.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I use a non-gender-specific saddle - a Fi'zik Vitesse, and I am very happy with it. Before I finally found this one, I tried a couple of saddles sold as women-specific, both with and without a cut-out. None of them were comfortable for me, and the one with the cut-out was surprisingly worse than the others. I'd recommend checking with your bike shop to see if they have some saddles you can borrow and try.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Denise, the Vitesse _is_ a women's saddle, although they now make a men's version, I think. Apparently a lot of men liked it- you can read reviews on it and the men are all saying "so what if I like a women's saddle..." Anyway, that's my favorite saddle of all time, an old one, not one with gel. I finally got BF on it (who's on the eternal perfect saddle quest) and he HATED it. That might have been because I have it sloped uphill a little bit, though. A couple saddles before that, though, I had a cut out saddle. The edges of the cutout rubbed me raw! I hated it.

Star, if you have a saddle with a pretty narrow nose, you can set your sensitive bits on one side or the other of the nose, and not have pressure on anything. It only takes a very slight adjustment. Your sit bones stay in the same place.

Nanci

I know when I picked out a saddle when I bought my bike (I got a unisex one with a cut out) my LBS said it had a 30 day comfort guarentee. If I didn't like it - just bring it back within 30 days and I could try something else. I got lucky on the first try though.

In addition to finding the right saddle, there are a few other things you might want to try....

1. Shaving
    2. get the right type of shorts...shorts where the padding is moved closer to your frontside (I'm assuming that you have a triathlon bike and are riding in the aero position) You also might want a thinner/less bulky pad (but not too thin - like so many tri specific shorts are)
    Last edited by madisongrrl; 09-23-2005 at 09:50 PM.
    Just keep pedaling.

Saddles used during RAAM

during the Race Across America... I was in the aeroposition a lot. I tried the liberator saddles with cut-outs witht the results of saddles sores on the sides of the crotch. I thereafter switched to saddleco saddle... the saddle that is made out of a mesh.. I rode on that one for the remainder of my race... and I could pee during the whole race. Previously I have had problems in ultraces in becoming so sore... that it hurts like hell to pee.
    I used the Fizik saddle aliente on my climbing bike and love that one. That one does not have a cut-out... but since on the climbing bike I would be more upright, put more pressure on legs and aleviate pressure on butt... it worked well.
    I used A&D ointment liberally on my front part of my crotch.... and I mean put a large amount in there....
    Then the shorts... invest in a pair of shorts with good padding... I use pearl izumi and sugoi.. top of the line... it is worth it.
    Cheers,
    Cat.
    Let us race with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith... (Hebr 12:1-2)

Besides my Azoto tri saddle, I too have a Aliante. It is worth every penny - even if it does cost $200.
    Just keep pedaling.

A saddle cover by QR or DeSoto might help also....
    Just keep pedaling.

I tried the liberator saddles with cut-outs witht the results of saddles sores on the sides of the crotch.
    This happened to me when my seat was too high. Once I lowered it a little, that pain went away.

JmcG is offline pb&j today and everyday
    When I first bought my tri bike, I had the same problem with pain in the "hot spot" area after a long ride - the saddle that came with the bike was a QR saddle with no cutout. I switched to a saddle with a cutout and it made all the difference - no more pain down there! I have the Terry Butterfly Tri saddle and really like it, although I wish the nose was just a little thinner. Too long on that one can produce saddle sores, though not every time. But for what you're experiencing, I'd first try a saddle with a cut-out, if you already don't have one. Good luck!

Are you sure that you're sitting on your sitbones and ONLY your sitbones? I had this problem when I was using a saddle that was too narrow. Once I found the Specialized saddles that were wide enough, I didn't have this problem. If your sitbones are supporting your weight, those other parts shouldn't be touching anything.

JmcG is offline pb&j today and everyday
    Pedal Wench - do you sit only on your sitbones in the aero position? When I'm in an aggresive aero position - down on the aero bars for long periods of time, I'm so far forward, that most of my weight is not on my sit bones. Now, on my road bike, yes, but not on my tri bike. Should I be completely on my sit bones on my tri bike? How is that do-able? Thanks!

Performance Bicycle http://www.performancebike.com/
    says they will accept any return anytime, including saddles as long as you keep the original receipt. I find that much easier than my LBS, since the selections are quite poor in my town, so they've got to order them anyway. Narrow your search from the advice on this site, then just give one a try. There is a dropdown menu on the homepage of this site at bottom right called "Forum Search" that I find useful, though not as obvious to find as it might be. In the menu is a section called "Gear and Accessories" where you will find "Favorite Saddles" and "Most Hated Saddles".
    Sorry if this is twice-told for the regulars.