Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Information gathering: Tucson

As part of the process of applying to grad school, I thought I'd check out where I'd be living.

So, Tucson. This would be the biggest geographic shift for me, and while I've been once (to talk to some UA faculty), I didn't spend much time there.

Weather? Besides "hot and dry", of course.

Bike friendly? The professor I talked to (had his bike in his office!) seemed to think so. What about the campus area?

Best and worst things about living there?

Cost of living?

Any words of wisdom regarding the campus area?

Anything else?

Indian food is probably too much to hope for, but maybe Tucson's a little different from Phoenix...? I hope...?
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

cons: it's hot.

Coming from Ohio, you will be delighted in how bike friendly the place is, especially near the campus... heck, it's all flat!
    We've spent some time there (my husband likes to go there every November, he's leaving tomorrow) and so I'm no expert, but when we're there we ride day and night.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Tucson

Both my sister and parents live in Tucson. My sister is a professor at the University. It is a big town, but I would say it is very bike friendly. There is a lot of traffic so you have to be ready for that.

If I were going to live in one of the larger towns in Arizona, Tucson would be my pick. It is desert living so it is pretty darn hot in the Summer and quite nice in the winter. It can get cold, i.e. 32 or so at night in some areas. The downtown, and campus areas are a little warmer, the northern parts of town, a little cooler.

There are good restaurants in Tucson, but I don't know about Indian. I really don't like Indian so I would not know if there is a good restuarant. Since it is a fairly large town, I would guess you could find at least one good Indian food restaurant.

The desert in the Tucson area is really gorgeous. When it flowers, it is absolutely breathtaking. I would say that the cost of living is middle of the road.

There is a fair amount of good cultural things to do in Tucson, but it still has some small town feel about it. Much different than Phoenix. I would never live in Phoenix.

I've lived in Tucson for 30 years. The weather never as hot as Phoenix- worst is June-September, when it is often above 100, but dry through June. The summer monsoons bring more humidity, mainly early July through the beginning of September. Sept-Oct are still warm but cooler mornings and evenings, and the winter sees temps dip into the low 30's, but rarely much colder, and often in the 40's for lows. Lots of sunny dry days, and sometimes wind in the spring and fall.

Bike friendly? Yes- for the most part. Lots of miles of signed bike lanes. Look for the Tucson bike map available as a pdf online.

Best and worst things about living there? I love the Sonoran Desert, and it has access to high elevation (Mt. Lemmon) close by, plus other great mountain ranges to explore an hour or two away.

Worst... not such great public transportation.

Cost of living? Much lower than big eastern cities, but wages aren't so high.

Any words of wisdom regarding the campus area?
    It's okay- some areas are a bit sketchy, but overall not bad.

Anything else?
    PM me- I'd be happy to share. I came to Tucson for grad school and stayed and raised my kids here.

Indian food is probably too much to hope for, but maybe Tucson's a little different from Phoenix...? I hope...?
    Yup, there's Indian food- a couple places within a mile or two of campus, and some further out.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Owlie, AZ Fiddle pretty much covered it. There's a great website by the bicycle advisory committee www.bikeped.pima.gov

It's the bike map I use for Tucson. There are also lots of great routes just outside the city limits. Lots of neat places to explore with all kinds of terrain.

I've lived in the southeast of Tucson for 10 years. The best part is lots of mountain ranges. Summer sunsets and sunrises burst with color.

Worst part I agree with Fiddle in transportation. Not well planned out but I don't think planners anticipated this kind of growth.

Good luck with grad school, let me know if I can be of more help!
    dt

Best Indian restaurant in town is Shere Punjab located not too far from campus 853 East Grant Road, Tucson, AZ 85719-2933

It may not be the best you have had but it is good.

Good-luck with grad school.

I worked at the UA for 30 years. This coming summer will be my 50th summer. Woo hoo...(she says as she melts...)

The UA is a great school if you're majoring in the right subject. Like many schools, UA is going through budget woes. PM me if you want further info.

Hot & dry about covers it. They say "Yeah, but it's a dry heat" to which I reply "So is hell." But, you don't have to shovel heat. The Spring is great - when the rest of the country is still freezing, we're riding. We get about 10 inches of rain a year, so you rarely get rained out.

The best thing about Tucson - bike lanes in many major thoroughfares. If you're smart, you won't have problems. There are several bike clubs that have rides on the weekends & during the week. Worst thing - As AZFiddle says, the public transportation isn't great & is going to become worse with budget cuts.

Oh, another best thing is that some TE girls live here!

Where are you coming from?
    Last edited by Dogmama; 11-20-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Re: Information gathering: Tucson

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I guess the finger- and toe-crossing worked. I got the offer letter in my e-mail this afternoon.

Must.not.hyperventilate...
    Wooooot! Congratulations!

congrats! will we see you at el Tour de Tucson in November?
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

Quote Originally Posted by PinkBike View Post
    congrats! will we see you at el Tour de Tucson in November?
    I would love to do it one day. If I end up going to UA (it's my only offer so far, but I have an interview later this month with another school), it'll probably be 2014. Between me trying to finish my thesis, moving across the country mid-season (so, having to pack both my bikes) to a new city and classes, I probably won't have much time to ride.

Done. I've signed the paper and sent it. Tucson, here I come! (gulp)

Awesome, Owlie! Congrats!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Information gathering: Tucson

Tucson, a great area for birding...my other passion. Congrats!
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

Here is to wishing you well in the last of your schooling and this semester. Hope your move goes well without incident so you can get some riding in before your back at it again.

Red Rock

Thank you!
    It's just started to dawn on me that I have to move in...three months. Yikes. My family is helping with the apartment search, as are DBF and his family, but since none of us are really familiar with the area, we're running into a wall...beyond "Holy cow, it's expensive there!" (Coming from Ohio, though, everything's expensive!)
    Tucsonians (?), can you offer tips on relatively inexpensive but safe places to live, preferably a little further out from the university (so I can avoid undergrads), but within reasonable cycling distance? (I'm okay with something like a 10-mile round or less.)