Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I shudder to think of what my utility bills out there would be, though. (There are advantages to living next to a lake, even though I'm not strictly sure it's water...)
    Winter isn't bad, obviously. Summer - you really need air conditioning (rather than swamp cooling) and your bills can vary widely depending on your actual dwelling. For example, large windows that face south or west will suck in the afternoon heat & jack up your bills. Try to get a place that either faces north (the best) or east and that has the west and/or south exposure protected in some fashion, e.g., trees, minimal windows, heavy shades on windows, etc. I have a patio that faces west and I cut my utility bills by 5% by simple sewing shade covers that block the afternoon sun.

Of course, good insulation, etc. helps too. Are you planning to rent an apt or house? My strong suggestion is to come out during the summer when there is ample vacancy and selection to get something good.

Finally, if you want/need help when you get here, you can call me. My DH is a retired cop and now a private investigator & knows what areas are good & what areas have problems.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

One step closer!

It looks like UA wants to interview me! We'll see...
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Congratulations! Let us friendly Tucsonan TE'ers know if there's anything we can do to help if/when you schedule a trip out here.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

Yay! I hope you will have a good impression on them- and that you leave Tucson with a good impression.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

TE'ers are wonderful. I have a set date to go, since the university's paying for me (airfare and everything. Woah.) It's the department's recruitment event, so it's as much about them making a good impression on us as us making a good impression on them. I've got to pick another two faculty members to interview with, then we'll see how it goes.

How's the weather in mid/late February? I don't want to roast (or freeze, by the looks of it)!

Usually the weather is high - mid 60's & lows in the high to low 40's - but it can change. Best bet is to Google it a few days beforehand.

Congrats!!!

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

good luck, really, i hope you love tucson and they love you (how could they not?)! BTW there's looooooooots of people here from Ohio.
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

When in late February? Believe it or not, we have "Rodeo Weekend" the last weekend of February. It could be in the 70's- but do check the National Weather service ahead of your trip.

I fly in on the 17th, and back out on the 20th. I just got my preliminary itinerary. Hoo boy, long day!

There and back.

Azfiddle and Badgercat, it was wonderful to meet you in real life! (We should do it again some time, if I get in!)

I think I fell ever-so-slightly in love with Tucson and the program. I'm not sure how well one would manage without a car, especially in the summer, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm going to have to ask about residency laws as well. The graduate students I talked to about it were from California, and switched for tax purposes.

Azfiddle and Badgercat, it was wonderful to meet you in real life! (We should do it again some time, if I get in!)

I think I fell ever-so-slightly in love with Tucson and the program. I'm not sure how well one would manage without a car, especially in the summer, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'm going to have to ask about residency laws as well. The graduate students I talked to about it were from California, and switched for tax purposes.
    Likewise I'm so glad you liked it here and that you were able to carve out a little time from your busy schedule for us locals. As far as the heat goes, I've never been a "morning person," but I've gotten used to doing things early in the day during the summers to beat the heat. I will admit, I do sometimes fall back to the car (as you saw) when the weather and/or my schedule is especially unfavorable, but most of the time, DBF and I make it work on two wheels, work and school, groceries and errands, and entertainment included. Tucson's infrastructure makes it pretty easy to do so.

Bottom line: I don't like the hot-hot-heat, but at least you don't have to shovel it.

Best of luck--keep us posted! Do you have any other interviews coming up?

Still waiting to hear back from a few places. The last one had its deadline a week ago, so it's still processing.

I like the idea of doing most things by bike, and having a car to fall back on for unfavorable schedule/weather days, or for really big shopping trips. When DBF graduates (he's still got at least another year--silly boy, doing two engineering degrees!), it'll be easier, because he has a car in the state. I'm not sure mine will manage that cross-country trip.
    Last edited by Owlie; 02-21-2011 at 06:26 PM.

It was great to meet you too, and if you settle here, I hope we'll have some opportunities to ride together. I know it's going to be a busy time for you. You wouldn't want to be riding far in the middle of the day in the summer, but everything else is manageable without a car if you live close to your work and shopping.... You just have to be an early morning person in the summer, or be willing to go out in the early evening.

Good luck with both opportunities and decisions!

I believe grad students that hold TA's or RA's get their out of state tuition waived, if that is what you are asking. The grad coordinator in your department should be able to help.
    Last edited by Dogmama; 02-22-2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: old brain

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    I believe grad students that hold TA's or RA's get their out of state tuition waived, if that is what you are asking. The grad coordinator in your department should be able to help.
    I believe that's true--free health insurance, partial tuition remission, plus a stipend for out-of-state RAs and TAs. If you can become an Arizona resident on the books, though, your deal is often sweeter--when I started here, I had a fellowship that waived the difference between out-of-state and in-state tuition and gave me a stipend that basically covered the balance of the tuition. A year later, I was able to claim Arizona residency, and it turned into a full tuition waiver plus the stipend (which I now get to use for living expenses etc).

But, it's not so easy to just change over to Arizona residency in the eyes of the University... you have to file lots of supporting documentation, and go through an interview, to try to convince them that you're not here just for school but that you intend to *stay* in Arizona after you finish your education (basically they--understandably--don't want people to take their savings and run).

I was able to pass muster with the fact that I immediately changed everything over to Arizona when I got here (driver's license, voter registration, local bank, etc) AND my parents decided to retire out here (the residency office even requested such proof as the realtor contract for their house in Illinois and the receipt for the moving van), which effectively cut my remaining ties to my home state. I have a classmate from New York who was also able to change over based on the fact that her husband (who grew up in Arizona) was active-duty military. I know other students who were denied, though, because I think without extenuating circumstances, it's pretty tough to get yourself switched to "in-state."

Now, if they're *only* talking about taxes... I don't know as much about that, since I basically immediately got the ball rolling here on switching myself fully over to Arizona residency.
    Last edited by badgercat; 02-22-2011 at 06:30 AM.