Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gunnar Bikes :)

To disable ads, please log-in.

I vaguely remember it being just underneath the left side of my kneecap on my right leg. But, honestly, the details are fuzzy as it's been a couple of years since I dealt with it.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Thankfully they have ONE FS mountain bike with a compact double that is probably small enough for this purpose.
    The term "compact double" doesn't apply to mountain bike cranks. A MTB double is almost always just a MTB triple with the big ring removed (and probably replaced with a bash ring.)

There are now some MTB cranks designed as doubles ever since SRAM introduced their XX race groupset. That's a 2x10 setup designed to save weight over a more conventional 3x9 setup.

Quote Originally Posted by laura* View Post
    The term "compact double" doesn't apply to mountain bike cranks. A MTB double is almost always just a MTB triple with the big ring removed (and probably replaced with a bash ring.)

There are now some MTB cranks designed as doubles ever since SRAM introduced their XX race groupset. That's a 2x10 setup designed to save weight over a more conventional 3x9 setup.
    Apparently they do now have a true compact double for MTB, at least that is what the owner of my LBS said - they are apparently just now starting to come out with it. Do you know how the 2x10 setup would compare with a triple in shifting? I will see if they have one that I could try on the trainer, just to see what it feels like...
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-27-2011 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    MY LHT has an 11-34 cassette, so the rear cassette shouldn't differ unless it has an 11-36 - and I don't think many bikes come with that yet outside of the Fargo and Niner bikes.
    I'm running a 50/34 with a 36 XX on the back on a tourer. Same pull ratio, lighter and simpler than a triple with better Q (for me). Now that Apex is available (and the second 10sp mtb set should be out), that sort of set up is even cheaper. Just make a mental note of the crank length you're testing if it's not the right one for you.

edit: you might be interested in the SRAM website to have a look at the specs; both 32 and 36 in XX, and p to 32 in Apex.
    Last edited by oz rider; 01-27-2011 at 03:24 AM.

SRAM X7 vs X9

I am considering three different parts lists that my LBS put together for me to consider for my Gunnar. One is a full XT drive-train, and the other two are SRAM. They did have a bike with SRAM trigger shifters that went on the trainer to give me an idea what it is like to shift them.. I think I would have no problems adjusting to it, though what I tested was the entry level SRAM - I wouldn't put entry level on my Gunnar.

For those that are familiar with SRAM trigger shifters, would I be able to tell the difference between X7 and X9? They tell me that SRAM is easier to adjust and to keep adjusted - less finicky than XT. X9 would be quite close to the same price as XT, X7 would save me a couple of hundred - but I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish.

I also realize that even XT trigger shifters would be different over what I have - my LHT has a special kind of trigger shifters that Shimano makes for road bikes - they are in their own category and are different from XT shifters - so whatever I decide it will be different from what I have on my Surly.

I think that I will move this to a new thread on SRAM - that might make it easier...
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-28-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Yippppeeeeeeee!

My frame is in my frame is in my frame is IN

No pictures yet because my frame and fork must remain in their packaging until they have the parts and are ready to work on it. I am getting it via layaway and it won't come home before MAY so it will likely be awhile before I get a picture.

They did, however, open the box and we took it outside so I could see the color in the natural light. It is the most incredibly beautiful deep, deep, deep rich purple with metallic flake in the depths - at least that is what it looks like

Squeeeeeeee! I am so excited! I wish I had the money so I could pay it off sooner....but May will be here sooner than I think. At least I hope so!

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Hip hip, HOORAY!!!!!!!!
    Can't wait to see it built up in all it's glory!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Oooooooooooo How exciting!!!! I can not wait to see this beauty. I am sure it will be stunning
    2012 Trek Lexa SL
    2012 Giant TCX2
    2015 Trek Remedy 7
    2016 Trek Lexa C
    2016 Specialized Hellga-Fat Bike

As stunning as the frame is in the box, I can't imagine what it will look like with all of the parts put together! I will be able to get a picture before I bring it home, though it will likely be some time before they get around to building it. I can hardly wait!

In the end, I settled upon a SRAM X9 drive-train with X0 twist shifters. The crank will be a mountain triple (22-32-44) with an 11-34 9-speed cassette. My fitter was concerned I would find the X0 shifters overly aggressive, but I really like how they feel and REALLY like how they shift! Apparently the X0 twist grips for 2011 are less aggressive/large than the 2010 version.
    Last edited by Catrin; 02-25-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Purple is my favorite color! You must be so excited!
    200x Electra Townie 24D/Brooks B67

This is so cool! Congrats! (in advance...)

Oh how exciting, Catrin! I know you must be thrilled!!!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Chick View Post
    Oh how exciting, Catrin! I know you must be thrilled!!!
    Oh my yes, I can hardly wait until May when I can finally bring her home One hopes for a windfall so it can be before then, but I am not expecting that to happen. At least when I bring her home she will be MINE