Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: New to running

Arrow New to running

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just started running recently and started with the Couch25K plan. Everything was going great and about two weeks into it I experience knee soreness and had to wait until I recovered from that until I started again.

In the meantime I went to have my gait analyzed and got new shoes. I discovered that I need a neutral shoe. I was in a supportive shoe with Superfeet!!!! and since changing everything feels much better.

I do have a little pain in toes that are right next to the baby toes. I only notice it when I'm starting out or warming up and when I'm cooling down. Once I'm running it seems to get better. I have no idea what this could be. I thought maybe I had my shoes laced too tightly but it hasn't made any difference.

I'm following the C25K plan but I'm increasing my distance slowly. I'm up to three miles.

I'm registered to run a 1/2 M in February. I'm not too concerned about time or if I run and walk. I just want to finish and whatever time it takes will be my personal best and I'm not worried about it.

I'd love to have any tips, suggestions or ideas you might have for me. I'm really loving it so far and look forward to my runs, even the hard ones.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

What kind of pain is it and where on those toes? Tips? Base? Sharp pain or dull pain?

Congrats on the running! I hope you're having fun

Thank you. I am having fun. The pain is in toes next to the little toes. It's on the bottom underneath right about where it joins my foot. It's hard to describe (burning ache?) but from what I've read I almost wonder if I have a neuroma.

That would be my best guess. Feet are pretty complicated though. Can you reproduce the pain by pushing on your foot or bending it a certain way when you aren't running?

I never thought about it but I just tried and no, I can't reproduce it.

Occasionally, in certain shoes that I wear to work, I do have the same pain.

So, do this mean that is might possibly be the shoes??? and if so, why would it stop once I got warmed up and running and then start back once I slowed down.

Congrats on the running, Sandra. I started the C25K program on Nov. 1st. I'm really anxious for week three. Three minutes seems like a long time for this overweight runner!

I don't have any advice, but I hope you get your toe situation figured out!
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

I'm just finishing week 3 and on to week 4 I'm here to tell you, you can do it! I'm almost 55 years old, have NEVER run, and I'm overweight myself.

Each run gets easier....if I can do it anyone can do it!

I would guess the toe box of the shoe is too narrow or too shallow, which could also be the cause of the same problem you have with some of your other shoes.

A neuroma would be driving you crazy pretty much all the time. What you're describing sounds more like a transient compression problem. The weakest link gets smooshed the most, and for you that may be the nerve running out to the 4th toes.

Do you have a pair of running sandals? Or running shoes that lace well down into the forefoot? Maybe try running in them to see if the problem shows up even in a more open toebox (mind you, a sandal doesn't really have a toebox, but you know what I mean.)

Also, pull out the other shoes that cause this problem and compare them to the shoes that don't. Pay close attention to the width and depth of the various toeboxes.

Sometimes it's fun to stand on a piece of paper and trace your bare foot, cut the tracing out, and hold it up to the underside of the shoes that irritate your toes. It can sometimes be an eye-opener, especially if the tracing is wider than the shoe.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by sandra View Post
    Occasionally, in certain shoes that I wear to work, I do have the same pain.

So, do this mean that is might possibly be the shoes??? and if so, why would it stop once I got warmed up and running and then start back once I slowed down.
    The multiple-body-weight impact of running might be enough to overwhelm the fabric of the shoe and briefly allow the forefoot to spread out properly. As you slow down, the force exerted on the shoe from impact and push-off decreases, and the fabric begins to resist forefoot expansion again. It wins at low impact, and loses at high impact.

The older Nike Free shoes (not sure about the new ones, as I haven't looked at any) had slices through the leather of the forefoot to allow expansion; something I think all shoes should have in some form.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Sandra -

Your description of your toe pain sounds exactly like something I could have written myself. I've been having the same toe issues, except only on my right foot. It feels like a burning, tingly, sensation...at times when it's really flaring up, it almost feels like my toes are broken. My podiatrist did an ultrasound and thinks there might be a small neuroma there...but isn't 100% positive. So she wants me to get a NCV/EMG test done to see if this could all be stemming from a nerve issue that originates in my lower back (I have a spinal deformity at my L5 vertebra). In the meantime, I have gone through a myriad of running shoes, with nearly all of them causing pain in my 3rd & 4th toes. Then on a whim, I decided to try a pair of Nike Free Run+ (the latest version), and to my surprise...the toe pain has diminished immensely. It has to be due to the very forgiving material of the Nike Free...it really "gives" and accommodates my toes, allowing them to spread out with plenty of wiggle room. You might want to give 'em a try and see if they help.

Linda
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Do you have a pair of running sandals? Or running shoes that lace well down into the forefoot? Maybe try running in them to see if the problem shows up even in a more open toebox (mind you, a sandal doesn't really have a toebox, but you know what I mean.)
    No, I wish I did. I have my other running shoes and they felt fine but apparently they were too supportive and I didn't need a supportive shoe and they were causing my knees to hurt.

Since changing to these shoes my knees have been great but I've had this toe issue. It's really hard to get it all fine tuned, isn't it!

Also, pull out the other shoes that cause this problem and compare them to the shoes that don't. Pay close attention to the width and depth of the various toeboxes.
    I think you may be on to something. It also might be that these shoes just aren't quite long enough (even though I thought they were) and when I run my foot slides upward??? I'm not sure.

Sometimes it's fun to stand on a piece of paper and trace your bare foot, cut the tracing out, and hold it up to the underside of the shoes that irritate your toes. It can sometimes be an eye-opener, especially if the tracing is wider than the shoe.
    I'm going to try that!

Linda, you were posting at the same time I was posting. I think I'm going to go back to the running shop next week and talk to them about these shoes. I'll check out the Nikes.

Thank you all.

I did three miles this afternoon in my old shoes minus the superfeet inserts. I was planning to do 4 and it started raining but the biggest problem was that it did feel just like those two toes were broken!!!

Other than that, everything felt great. I hope I can get this worked out.