Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question about left side cramp when running

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay gals, I have a weird thing going on sometimes when I run. Yesterday (and a couple of times before), I started getting cramps in my abdomen on the lower left side. It feels like a rope.....is the best way I can describe the feel of it when I push down on it. Sometimes I push on it and can run through them, but yesterday it did not stop. I only ran 1 mile. I still have the pain today. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what this is. Which type of dr. might be best to go to?

I've heard that exhaling as your right foot hits the ground will help a prevent side stitch on the left side or will help one in progress go away. If you were running downhill, that can cause stitches (or cause the pain to become more intense).

But I'm not sure what's going on with you. Stitches on the left side are pretty common but if it was a normal stitch I wouldn't expect you to still feel pain today.

Side cramps, or side "stiches" during exercise are pretty common - probably not worth a trip to the doctor, as even as much as they hurt, they aren't dangerous, nor does medical science really know what causes them.... of course if you have abdominal pain that does not resolve go see your doc.

Side cramps are probably most related to what you've eaten or how you've warmed up (or more likely *not* warmed up) before vigorous exercise. They can be intensely painful. I get side cramps if I eat bananas right before exercise or if I launch right into something very hard (like a big hill climb) without warming up first. They are way worse than the worst menstrual cramps I've ever had. Stopping massaging the area a bit, bending over usually relieves the acute cramp, but it will be sore for a while - makes me feel queasy even.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I have been able to nearly eliminate side stitches by deep rhythmic breathing. WHen I get tense and forget, bam, they're back..
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by vhs View Post
    I still have the pain today. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what this is. Which type of dr. might be best to go to?
    Just to be sure I understand -- the pain started while you were running yesterday, but it didn't end after your run, and you still have pain today?

I don't think that's a side stitch. I've had those, but they don't last -- at least mine never do.

Abdominal pain could be so many things -- I'd call your primary care doctor if it doesn't go away. Good luck.