Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: I want in!

I want in!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband just did his first race last weekend in Northampton, MA. Looks like a BLAST! His buddy was selling a Spooky and my husband thought, "What the heck." Now I want to play! Going to check out the Plymouth, MA race this weekend. Anyone in this discussion forum going to be there? I'd love to meet some of the women and cheer them on!! The buying of the bike seems to be a bit of a challenge - no one seems to stock them to size up and get a feel.

I ended up buying a Felt F1X cross bike on ebay last spring, based on the geometry specs and hoping for the best. It fit fine enough to get a feel for whether I'd enjoy riding off road which was something I'd never done before.

Are there any places that rent cross bikes around? I know there are a couple places here, but I live in a rather cross-crazy city...or know anyone you can borrow one from?

I've been having an absolute blast riding cross this fall, done 10 races so far, and each week it just gets more fun, and I gain more confidence and handling skills. I'm hooked - hope you get a chance to try it out too!

I've been looking on ebay and craigslist, but nothing so far. I see from your list of bikes that you now have a Sweet Pea Boom Boom! Nice!! There is a bike shop about an hour away that carries Specialized and lets you try them out. Not really interested in Specialized - but I could at least try it. I have tons of trails straight out from my house. So even if I couldn't get one to race this year (running a little late in the short season) I could ride all winter long.

Since you're pretty close, you might be interested in checking out this link. Look at the "Wednesday night training ride" section. Anyone can go and try it out, and I think at the at the beginning of the season, they offer some 'cross riding clinics.

http://nbxbikes.com/

I've never tried it, but have gone to watch. It looks really fun.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Nice link! Thanks. We will be going to the Warwick event in Dec. We have a clinic series in Middleborough on Tues nights - but I work late on Tues.

I love Eddy Merckx bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Gidget506 View Post
    Nice link! Thanks. We will be going to the Warwick event in Dec. We have a clinic series in Middleborough on Tues nights - but I work late on Tues.

I love Eddy Merckx bikes!
    Thanks!

I've been to that race. The section that sticks out in my mind, and the place to watch if they do it, is where they go down to the beach. Lots of action there! Not sure if I'll make it this year. I usually have to work that weekend.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

I'll be at the Plymouth race this weekend! And then the following weekend is our club race in Londonderry, and the Lowell race. We're only at the mid-point of the season here .

How tall are you? What size road bike do you ride?

I started out on the Specialized TriCross and raced it until last season. Now I race on Ridleys, which I really like. I did like the Specialized though, too.

I'll be in the Women's Open race - NEBC with knee socks on a Ridley. Introduce yourself! I think WaveDance and Voodoo Sally will be there as well...

SheFly (aka Cathy)
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    We're only at the mid-point of the season here .
    *jealous* This weekend is the end of the Cross Crusade series here, and then there are a few scattered races before Nationals in Bend, but that's more or less it.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Thanks!

I've been to that race. The section that sticks out in my mind, and the place to watch if they do it, is where they go down to the beach. Lots of action there! Not sure if I'll make it this year. I usually have to work that weekend.
    Cool. I will be sure to check out that section if they use it. Sounds like a great place to take pictures.

I'll be at the Plymouth race this weekend! And then the following weekend is our club race in Londonderry, and the Lowell race. We're only at the mid-point of the season here .

How tall are you? What size road bike do you ride?

I started out on the Specialized TriCross and raced it until last season. Now I race on Ridleys, which I really like. I did like the Specialized though, too.

I'll be in the Women's Open race - NEBC with knee socks on a Ridley. Introduce yourself! I think WaveDance and Voodoo Sally will be there as well...

SheFly (aka Cathy)
    Fantastic! Both days?

I am 5'4" and my Madone is a 51. I will introduce myself!! Weather is supposed to be great.

I'll be at Plymouth both days. Cape Cod Racing Propeller Head off-the-back in the Women's 4! If you have a mountain bike, give it a shot! I had to go near-custom to get a frame to fit me @ 5'1" (love my Terry Valkyrie), but you should have more options. It's a hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by wavedancer View Post
    I'll be at Plymouth both days. Cape Cod Racing Propeller Head off-the-back in the Women's 4! If you have a mountain bike, give it a shot! I had to go near-custom to get a frame to fit me @ 5'1" (love my Terry Valkyrie), but you should have more options. It's a hoot!
    I will be there definitely on Sunday. There is an outside chance I will be there tomorrow. I will try to introduce myself on Sunday for sure. Good Luck!!!

Great to meet you yesterday! Hope that you had fun. Cross is a crazy sport, but one that you'll love with that new Gary Fisher on the way .

I'm sure our paths will cross (ha!) at a few more races this season!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Great to meet you yesterday! Hope that you had fun. Cross is a crazy sport, but one that you'll love with that new Gary Fisher on the way .

I'm sure our paths will cross (ha!) at a few more races this season!

SheFly
    I had a great time and met a lot of super women. Very inspiring. The track was so different than Northampton! We will certainly see you around. Can't wait to get the new wheels!