Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Information gathering: Indianapolis

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking at IU's medical school for grad school. So, while putting off writing my personal statement, I thought I'd ask about the city.

First, how's the weather? I doubt the weather is too different from Cincinnati's, but just to be sure...

Is the area relatively bike-friendly?

What are the best and worst things about living there?

If you know anything about the campus area, please do throw that in!

Thanks in advance!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I'm looking at IU's medical school for grad school. So, while putting off writing my personal statement, I thought I'd ask about the city.

First, how's the weather? I doubt the weather is too different from Cincinnati's, but just to be sure...

Is the area relatively bike-friendly?

What are the best and worst things about living there?

If you know anything about the campus area, please do throw that in!

Thanks in advance!
    I assume that this is the school in Indianapolis? I do not know for certain what the biking environment is on campus, but I do see a lot of cyclists around campus - which is very close to downtown. There have been efforts to create a more walking/biking friendly environment downtown though the bike lanes have mixed reviews.

If you have a bike rack, there are some pretty nice places you can take your bike to ride if you prefer a less urban environment.

From what I can tell, our weather is the same as Cincinnati. While there are differences, I am sure, I doubt that they are significant.

My favorite thing about living in Indianapolis is that it is only an hours drive to Brown County and the wonderful biking/hiking to be had in Brown County State Park and the surrounding counties. Note that, at this point, I just go hiking in the park itself - the hills in that park are beyond me at this point. I also love Eagle Creek Park.

We do have a very good local bike club - http://www.cibaride.org/

Now go write that personal statement

The weather is probably pretty similar, although Indy might get a bit more snow than Cincy.

I'm not sure I'd call Indy "bike friendly," but I wouldn't call it bike hostile either. As Catrin mentioned, they are trying to add some infrastructure to promote bicycle commuting. I, personally, am not a fan of most of the bike lanes they've put in so far. These are roads to which bike lanes were added after the fact, so there are compromises that, in my opinion, impact safety for cyclists and motorists alike. I would prefer to just take the lane while riding downtown.

Infrastructure is just part of the problem though. The sad truth is that Indy is not a particulary healthy, active or "outdoorsy" place as a whole. Nor is it particularly progressive or green. As a life-long resident of central Indiana, I have resigned myself to the fact that the city is likely never going to be attractive in these regards. Certainly, I hope that progress can be made, but I don't think it'll ever become a Portland, Seattle, or Boulder. It lacks the naturally beautiful landscape for one thing, but I think some of it is inherent in the city's culture.

I would note, however, that there is a pretty strong cycling club here. CIBA offers a number of rides every day of the week. The weekend rides, in particular, are geared for riders of all levels and provide a great way to meet other cyclists. While the immediate city isn't exactly my cup of tea for riding, it's not all that hard to get out to more rural areas. Catrin and I both cut our cycling teeth on the northwest side of the city, and there's some very nice and relatively safe riding out there.

South central Indiana also makes for some great, albeit more challenging, riding. The hills there are similar to what you have in Cincy--so you'll likely develop a love/hate relationship with them like the rest of us. Brown, Monroe, and Morgan county offers pretty scenery for both climbing and hiking.

The city does have its pros. The cost of living here is relatively low for a city this size. For instance, my single family home in downtown Indy--with 1,000 square feet, a basement, sizeable fenced-in yard and 2-car garage--sold last May for $130k. In a lot of other cities, it would have cost over $200k. The cost of living has allowed me to spend (or save) my money for other things--like travel and bike buying.

While arts spending keeps getting cut, the city does offer some nice ameneties in that respect. There are several quality musuems, and venues for music, dance and the like. Everything is relatively accessible even if you're on a budget.

The city is becoming more interesting and diverse. Trust me when I say that it's come a long way. Downtown has become much more lively after hours. It used to be a ghost town come 5 o'clock. The IUPUI campus where you would attend school has grown immensely since I was young. It's not exactly Bloomington (IU's main campus), but it is developing a somewhat stronger campus feel. You might PM Windingroad if she doesn't otherwise respond to this thread. I believe she went to school there. Certainly, IU Med School enjoys a strong reputation as I understand it, so that's surely a pro.

Let us know if you'd like to come for a visit. I'm sure we could find some time to show you around.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Indy made a good point about the growing diversity of the region, I do like that. There are different multi-cultural festivals throughout the year which is quite nice if you have a chance to go. We just got a new symphony conductor, if you happen to enjoy classical music.

We have a couple of other members from the area, and if they see this I hope they add their perspective as well. Do let us know if you decide to come for a visit

I have no desire to ride in urban areas, but it is so easy to get to more rural areas to ride...

No insight about Indianapolis, but good luck on your applications, especially those pesky essays! I've been doing edits/rewrites for my daughter for a couple months.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

One thing I just thought of:

Any decent Indian restaurants in the area? It's one of the big things I miss about home. (Of course, maybe I was spoiled growing up, as there are three in a five-mile radius of my house!)

One thing I just thought of:

Any decent Indian restaurants in the area? It's one of the big things I miss about home. (Of course, maybe I was spoiled growing up, as there are three in a five-mile radius of my house!)
    There is at least one great one, and several good ones

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    There is at least one great one, and several good ones
    I'm not sure I'd call any of them "great," but there are some decent ones on each side of town. I used to love the one downtown--India Garden--but I think it's gone downhill a bit over the last couple of years. Their northside location is better. If you like Thai, we have some good places, too.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

I do think the India Palace and the Shalimar (owned by the same folks) have really good food - especially on the ala cartedinner/carry out menu. I agree that the India Garden downtown, and their other location, have seen better times but it works for the occasional lunch.

Indy, where have you found a good Thai restaurant? I have given up trying to find one here that I like...

Come here! We have loads of Thai places!

Siam Square on Virginia (Fountain Square. They have a southside location called Thai Spice. It's near Greenwood Park Mall. I also like Jasmine Cafe on 96th, between Keystone and Allisonville.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Come here! We have loads of Thai places!
    I will have to keep that in mind - I still want to come and ride the Little Miami trail with you if you don't move here. It is still close enough that we can do that if'en you do

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Siam Square on Virginia (Fountain Square. They have a southside location called Thai Spice. It's near Greenwood Park Mall. I also like Jasmine Cafe on 96th, between Keystone and Allisonville.
    Cool, thanks! I tried to find one that I liked the first few years that I was here but eventually just gave it up as a lost cause. I love good Thai food and am quite picky where that is concerned...

I grew up here in Indianapolis and love it. I did however go to undergrad and grad school in Bloomington where the main IU campus is located. There is GREAT riding down there, as well as Brown County, which is only an hour and fifteen minutes-ish minutes away. I am back in Indianapolis now and must say, I was spoiled with the riding in southern indiana. There are places to ride here, but it's just different (can't really explain it).

Best of luck getting into med school, I hear the IU Med School program is quite difficult to get into! Regardless of what IU med school location you are placed at, they're all good. I have some friends who's parents are profs/docs at the IU- Indianapolis location and they seem to really enjoy it.

Good info, but you're over a year late. Owlie ended up at a school in Dayton. In any event, welcome to TE!!

--Mary Anne Radmacher