Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Two races in a weekend, how to recover inbetween?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Race schedule for the next few weeks has a few times when I'm on both Saturday and Sunday. I had one of these this last week, and I feel absolutely wrecked.

I did a chocolate milk recovery shake and lots of water immediately following race #1. Some movies, a beefy sandwich, a few beers in the evening. Ibuprofin and a hot bath at night.

Before race #2, oatmeal with protein powder, raisins, walnuts. Gu right before the start. Chocolate milk recovery shake, lots of water after. Regular food follows. Ibuprofin like crazy.

I've heard good things about recovery compression tights, any truth to that?

Otherwise, not sure what else I should be doing. Cold bath instead of hot? Light spin on the bike, yoga? Nix the beer?

-- gnat! (ow. ow. ow. ow.)
    Windsor: 2010 S-Works Ruby
    Pantysgawn: 2011 S-Works Stumpjumper 29er
    Whiz!: 2013 S-Works Crux (Singlespeed)
    Boucheron: 2009 S-Works Tricross
    Haloumi: 2013 Tern P7i
    Kraft: 2009 Singlecross
    Gouda: 2005 Electra Betty
    Roquefort: 1974 Stella SX-73

Compression hose totally ROCK. I have a pair of 20-30 mm Hg thigh-highs from the drug store, and a pair of 30-40 mm Hg pantyhose that I got on sale from the medical supply place, just to have a second pair. The Futuro brand hose from the drug store work just fine and cost about half of what a schmancy triathlon label will run you. I spent the better part of 24 hours in compression hose after my last marathon. Walking was a challenge the rest of the day of the race - by the next morning, sure I had some soreness, but I was walking and going up and down stairs completely normally.

Definitely a cold bath (anything below 64° counts). If you can't stand that, just DEFINITELY avoid hot. When there's inflammation there already, heat really exacerbates it.

Elevation - legs above your heart - as much as you can. On the couch, or "backwards" in bed with your feet on the headboard.

I just read something that said that one beer reduces growth hormone production overnight by 50% ... two beers, 80%. I generally don't have any alcohol for four or five days before a goal event. Recovery aside, if I haven't been drinking for a while and then I have one, the next day I'll really notice it in my muscles and breathing.

I've read several places that ibuprofen slows recovery. If you can handle the ouchies, try doing without it. (It never really does anything for muscle pain for me, anyway.)

Good luck! A friend of mine is in the middle of four marathons in two weekends right now.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I love my compression tights after a hard ride, and electrolytes (like endurolytes) seem to make a huge difference for me in terms of how I feel.

Compression for recovery is amazing!

I *heart* my Zoot Rx Recovery tights but they are not only pricey, but a PITA to put on. So much so...that I only wear them when absolutely necessary. Like Oak, I have a pair of 20-30 mm Hg Futuro 'socks' from Walgreens. I wear these after almost every run and they work just as well (for my calves - they don't go above my knees). As long as your garment is high compression and graduated, it should help.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Since I had no access to massage and compression (at the time) was only for Grandma's veins......An easy swim in a cool pool after the first day did wonders for me during stage races.

Another thing: try a good dose of magnesium. You can get a topical cream that apparently works wonders, but for those of us who are cheaper, the oral supplements also make a big difference (double the recommended dose).

I also like my compression recovery tights, I have the fancy pants (I call them fancy pants, my husband calls them chastity pants). They make my muscles feel good. A couple of weeks ago after a long run, I put them on and could feel the difference almost instantly where I was especially tight in my ankles. Normally they just make me feel like I can return to training faster - especially any time I know the day after a race/hard ride/long run/etc is going to involve a lot of sitting around.

An ice bath also helps. I know it's awful but it does help. First, I get a plastic bowl and fill it full of ice. I take this to the bathroom and set it beside the tub. I fill the tub with cool water and ease into it until I'm sitting with my legs submersed and then dump the ice in around my legs a little at a time and just soak.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    Another thing: try a good dose of magnesium. You can get a topical cream that apparently works wonders, but for those of us who are cheaper, the oral supplements also make a big difference (double the recommended dose).
    If you have bowel issues, be careful with the magnesium. It will definitely kick things into high gear, if you know what I mean. My chiropractor recommended it for muscles aches and it works for that but it also gets your gut working too

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

+1 on compression tights/socks. I've been using Defeet's Decompressors and love them (and they're much easier to use than tights).

Solid, progressive warm-up both days (at least 45 minutes) as well as cool-down immediately after the races (again, 30-45 minutes) will do wonders.

+1 on eliminating the beer -- even one will affect your performance for up to 48 hours.

+1 on ice bath.

heck I even pull on the zoots recovery compression tights after a regular ride if I feel anything other than ready to do another ride immediatly. I also wear them if I have done a challenging training session or too much or too hard cardio sessions. Yes they are tough to get on but they definitely make a difference on these old legs.

The compression stockings they put on me in the hospital after the recent surgery drove me crazy because they were too loose and kept falling down.

Good luck with your races.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Also, caffeine during/immediately before the second event. It's a very effective pain killer and performance enhancer. You might want to avoid it the first day, just so you can sleep that night.

I haven't tried compression tights, but might just have to go out get myself a pair given as everyone seems to be raving about them!

I don't drink beer during a stage race or omnium. Recovery drinks (like cholocolate milk), water, or lemonade are my go-to beverages.

Also make sure that you eat a good recovery meal at least 20min (or at least a sandwich or something if you can't get to a restaurant right away) after a race. it is during those first 20min that your body is best primed to absorb nutrients so this really aids in recovery.

Then take a nap, if possible, stay off your feet, keep your feet elevated as much as possible, and try a gently self-massage ("The Stick" works great for this).

Finally, make sure to get a full night's sleep before your next event!

The compression tights really work. When I remember or have the will to put them on. I have gotten better about remembering and now I have a system for getting them pulled up. I know that if I was racing, I would be wearing them religiously between races.
    I might ditch the beer as a recovery drink if I had an event the next day.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

The higher compression hose are definitely harder to get on than the lower compression ones, but actually if you roll them up the way it says on the box, it isn't that hard. Turn them inside out except for enough to cover your MTP joints. Put the toes of one foot inside this "pocket" loosely, then roll the rest of the stocking onto your leg, turning it right-ways-out as you go.

If it's pantyhose, go as far as the knee, then start the other foot.

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    The higher compression hose are definitely harder to get on than the lower compression ones, but actually if you roll them up the way it says on the box, it isn't that hard. Turn them inside out except for enough to cover your MTP joints. Put the toes of one foot inside this "pocket" loosely, then roll the rest of the stocking onto your leg, turning it right-ways-out as you go.

If it's pantyhose, go as far as the knee, then start the other foot.
    This. My 'socks' are easy to roll up...it's the thighs on the tights that are the issue. I was borderline on the size chart and ordered smaller since I am still losing weight. They are REALLY difficult to get up over my thighs but relatively easy up to the knees. It's all good. Bigger wouldn't have been compressive enough on the lower leg, so I'll deal. I would imagine that if you aren't between sizes, it's not quite the wrestle-fest it is for me.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom