Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

CW-X Tights - Fancy Pants, Seams

To disable ads, please log-in.

So, I'm in the market for a full-length pair of CW-X tights. I like the feel of the Pro 3/4 length tights I have for running, and the stabilyx insulator tights are great for snowboarding. I like their selector for activities and movement to tights, differentiating the kinds of side to side vs. up and down sorts of movements in things like skiing/snowboarding vs. running.

So, I'm debating three pairs: Expert, Pro, and the new SUPER FANCY PANTS, the Revolution. The Pro looks like a step up from the Expert, but someone suggested it may not be worth the money. I chose the Pro the first time based on what was available in 3/4 length and the additional knee/hamstring support, but that was before I started running barefoot(ish). I will be wearing them almost exclusively for running (or walking, hiking, etc, similar movements) in my five fingers.

My only problems with the Pro are the seams. I have worn through the thigh seams in two pairs (I prefer to say that I have "cycling thighs" that I try to jam into runners tights ), and these are expensive tights. The Revolution are twice as expensive (!!), but they are also much lighter, so I'm wondering if the construction in the seams has changed. On the other hand, the webbing pattern in the Revolution is slightly different (looks like the Pro might have some better glute support), and they are pink trim.

Anyone tried the Revolution tights? Any difference in the construction?

Any recommendations for reinforcing the seams without introducing a material to the outside that will chafe and ruin the lycra, or be irritating on the inside of the tights?

I'm not sure what you should do. I have a pair of the Stabilyx tights that I got as a Christmas present last year, but I'm between sizes so I had the luxury of going up a size. They definitely still compress (and they're tight enough in the thighs to pull themselves down if I forget to tie them) but I don't have the seam problem.

The Revolution tights look pretty cool! - but aren't they mostly seamless? So wouldn't that automatically solve your seam problem? Looks like they only have them down the inside of the leg, but I could be misunderstanding the website...or where you're wearing through them...?

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    I'm not sure what you should do. I have a pair of the Stabilyx tights that I got as a Christmas present last year, but I'm between sizes so I had the luxury of going up a size. They definitely still compress (and they're tight enough in the thighs to pull themselves down if I forget to tie them) but I don't have the seam problem.

The Revolution tights look pretty cool! - but aren't they mostly seamless? So wouldn't that automatically solve your seam problem? Looks like they only have them down the inside of the leg, but I could be misunderstanding the website...or where you're wearing through them...?
    Heh, I'm between sizes, too. I have sized up in the past, and am considering sizing down this next time because sometimes I feel like my Stabilyx insulator tights are falling off when I run in them.

I am wearing through the seam on the inner thigh, probably about 3" down the inseam, maybe 4". I can't tell if the revolution are truly seamless, or if it's just the support web that's seamless (the others being stitched on, though quite well - I never wore them to the point that I had to worry about the compression wearing out).

I sure do love them. It seems like wearing through the seams is inevitable with as many miles as I put on them.... but I don't really want to wear two pairs of tights. I have been wearing a pair of REI 4" compression shorts over my Stabilyx insulators when I run in them so I can keep them pristine for snowboarding, too. I could probably do that with anything I buy, though it looks kind of funny

Ehh, my SO runs in the same outfit sometimes You're good!

I wonder if you could use the seam taping that they use on waterproof gear? Or...hmm...is it friction wearing it out? Let me find mine and think about this.

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    Ehh, my SO runs in the same outfit sometimes You're good!

I wonder if you could use the seam taping that they use on waterproof gear? Or...hmm...is it friction wearing it out? Let me find mine and think about this.
    Yeah, I think the problem is that the seam stitching is on the outside of the pants, so the seams rub against each other, and eventually they start to fray.

I haven't worn mine enough to wear them out yet, but I definitely get chub rub. Considering all the parts of our bodies that we lube anyway, I wonder if a little Body Glide or Friction Block on the seams would help the tights last longer?

(Which reminds me how much I HATE a drawstring waist. I actually had a little bruise on my belly from the drawstring knot after the marathon. Not a chafe mark, a bruise. )

I was really looking forward to seeing the Revolution tights at the marathon expo last month, but the rep didn't have any. So I'll have to content myself with looking at pictures for now.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 11-09-2010 at 04:19 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

The drawstring is so LONG, too. Why? You can't possibly be that round and fit into the rest of the tights. I have to be careful where I tuck it or it drives me nuts.