Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Am I the only one who prefers magnetic trainers?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have a crappy, old, noisy, falling-apart Magneto trainer that got me through last Winter, but required a stack of books to hold the resistance roller up against the back wheel. I really need to replace it (but I also "need" a new bike...ack, priorities?!). Tonite I rode on DH's newer CycleOps fluid trainer.

I hate it. The resistance is not adjustable and that sucker eats at least 2.5mph and a couple of cruising gears while I bust my butt (I can't even get into the top gear and stand and mash on that trainer). I'm not fast to begin with...I don't have 2.5mph to lose when I'd like to be able to maintain 50mpw all Winter...most of which will be done on the trainer.

Anyone have any specific magnetic trainer recommendations--preferably ones that don't break the bank?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Nope I love the magnet ones too. I looooooove the new CycleOps Magneto Pro! Super duper quiet, variable resistance and feels quite real. I didn't like the fluid versions at all.

I prefer mag trainers and have a Magneto, too. Had a fluid trainer that leaked (I probably killed it from overuse---it was a Performance or Nashbar model, not the best).

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

+1 on the CycleOps Magneto Pro!
    Susan

Try not. Do or do not... there is no try.
    Yoda

2004 Airborne WASP (road)/Selle An-Atomica
    2010 Bike Friday New World Tourist (commuter)/Selle An-Atomica
    2010 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro/Selle An-Atomica

Am I the only one

I have a couple of trainers and and mostly ride an old Cateye trainer.(magnetic) It is a front wheel mount that has alot of features, speed, watts, kilo calories(which I don't pay attention to) timer if you want to race someone or yourself and the ability to ride from 1-10% grades. Lots of features that are included in the newer trainers.

As for fluid, "yes" they are a bit different and some offer different weight flywheels..which would definitely change how most of us pedal. What fluid trainer does your SO have?

At any rate, I applaud all of you that are riding trainers, not as much fun as being outside... but definitely gives you an edge come spring.

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    As for fluid, "yes" they are a bit different and some offer different weight flywheels..which would definitely change how most of us pedal. What fluid trainer does your SO have?
    The fluid trainer is a CycleOps Fluid2. Boy, that CycleOps Magneto Pro sounds awesome...but definitely beyond the budget I'd be able to put towards a new trainer when I'm eyeballing a new ride. Perhaps I will pick up something a bit more low rent to ride for a season or two and eventually put the Magneto Pro on my list.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Am I the only one

Yes, the Cycleops2 trainer is a nice one! I spent some time on the Kurt Kinetic Rock-n-roll this spring, and found that to be very nice More than likely, it will become part of my inventory here very soon

AS for magnetic trainers, normally they start around $150.( Minoura) There are several options on them, but one allows you to adjust the tension on the trainer with a shifter mounted on the handlebars.. adds roughly about $30 to the overall cost. There are definitely many brands of trainers out there, and all very good quality for the most part. Minoura seems to be the least expensive of the lot; I've sold them in the shop for years and have had great luck with them.

At any rate, good luck in your search for a trainer and I'll look forward to posts of the new bike in the spring.

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

I also like a nice Mag trainer. Nice and smooth and quiet.

I tried a Magneto but prefer the Minouras. They're lighter (easier to lift and carry, or load into the car), fold flatter (easier to store and transport) and are less expensive (easier for me to afford!).

The ones I like are the cheapest ones, which for some reason have the best features (even better than Minoura's more expensive ones, IMHO) - they're lighter, fold flatter and are cheaper.

Most Minouras are availiable in two versions, Dial (D) or Remote (R).

On the Dial version the resistance is adjusted on the mag unit itself. (I use my toe, no need to get off my bike.)

On the Remote version the resistance is adjusted using a cable from a remote "shift lever" you attach to your handlebar.

I've had both kinds in the past and really prefer the Dial over the Remote. I always seem to tangle the remote cable , and I'd rather not take the time to connect the remote when setting up my bike on the trainer.

Here's a site with an overview of Minoura trainers:
    http://www.minourausa.com/english/tr...r-tire-e2.html

The bottom row, the red ones, are my favorites.

(Not connected to Minoura in any way other than as a happy customer.)

'09 Trek 7.3 FX hybrid / Jett 155mm
    '09 Cervelo P3 TT / looking
    '11 Cervelo S3 road / Selle Royal Seta 155mm
    Ischial tuberosities: 140mm center to center

Take a look on your local craigslist for a trainer. There are several around here for great prices.

Quote Originally Posted by dianne_1234 View Post
    Most Minouras are availiable in two versions, Dial (D) or Remote (R).

On the Dial version the resistance is adjusted on the mag unit itself. (I use my toe, no need to get off my bike.)

On the Remote version the resistance is adjusted using a cable from a remote "shift lever" you attach to your handlebar.

I've had both kinds in the past and really prefer the Dial over the Remote. I always seem to tangle the remote cable , and I'd rather not take the time to connect the remote when setting up my bike on the trainer.
    Thanks so much for that input...I wondered if the remote ones were worth the extra cost. We currently have an ancient Minoura trainer that has a dial. I think when I upgrade I will probably go with another dial one.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I just found a CycleOps Mag Trainer on Craigslist- $100, barely used. I didn't want to spend too much, in case I decided I can't stand it, but so far so good.
    Be yourself, to the extreme!