Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bipolar II

To disable ads, please log-in.

My mother had Bipolar disorder, as well (the worst kind, where episodes result in psychosis). Starting in the early 60s, she went through every treatment/medication available, including old school ECT. The docs never really could get it under control until she was in her late 60s. Of course, back in the 60s-early 80s, mental illness was considered "shameful" so there was really no support for my dad or my siblings/myself. But I digress.
    Colorisnt--thank God science has come a long way, as has society. You aren't alone. Everyone here has offered excellent advice. Sending you lots of good wishes.
    Last edited by Selkie; 11-06-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Quote Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
    My mother had Bipolar disorder, as well (the worst kind, where episodes result in psychosis). Starting in the early 60s, she went through every treatment/medication available, including old school ECT. The docs never really could get it under control until she was in her late 60s. Of course, back in the 60s-early 80s, mental illness was considered "shameful" so there was really no support for my dad or my siblings/myself. But I digress.
    Colorisnt--thank God science has come a long way, as has society. You aren't alone. Everyone here has offered excellent advice. Sending you lots of good wishes.
    That's exactly the same situation as my mom. She even had ECT quite recently as well as back in the 60's, which seemed to have helped. The anti psychotic drugs she was on for years have led to some pretty awful side effects for her lately, right when she seemed to have been getting things together.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Sarah -- It's a horrible condition, particularly when the psychosis steals them from you (when I was 12, she thought the ice age was coming back and almost set the house on fire. She was trying to balance the environment in our house so the glacier wouldn't form over it, had the stove blasting, gas burners flaming up! The was one occasion where my dad had no trouble getting her committed!).

Sending you and your mom lots of good wishes.

Once they found the right meds for my mom, she was a different person. Of course, all those years of Haldol, Stellazine, Thorazine, Lithium, etc. took a toll.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Once they found the right meds for my mom, she was a different person. Of course, all those years of Haldol, Stellazine, Thorazine, Lithium, etc. took a toll.
    Right - my mom now has Tardive dyskenesia because of all those meds. I'm probably spelling that wrong.

Thanks for the good wishes - sending them right back to you. It's a tough thing. Sounds like guys had a really rough time of it.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Wow, Selkie, I am glad to hear with the meds your mom finally got the help she needed. It's awful about the side effects, which I am certainly concerned about but I'm on such a low does that I don't know really if it is really a big worry.

I'm doing okay. Just trying to balance everything out here.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post
    Wow, Selkie, I am glad to hear with the meds your mom finally got the help she needed. It's awful about the side effects, which I am certainly concerned about but I'm on such a low does that I don't know really if it is really a big worry.

I'm doing okay. Just trying to balance everything out here.
    Colorisnt - Remember, my mom's treatment began in the early 60s, and she was on a combo of various meds until she passed away in 2001. She was on some high doses, particularly after a hospitalization.

From what I understand, treatment today is so much better.... The best thing is that it's no longer seen as something shameful and is recognized as a medical condition, like diabetes.

Have you read Kay Jamison Redfeild's (I know I got her surname wrong, sorry) books on her own struggles w/bipolar?

A lot of very talented, intelligent people are/were bipolar.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Have you read Kay Jamison Redfeild's (I know I got her surname wrong, sorry) books on her own struggles w/bipolar?
    Close, Selkie--it's Kay Redfield Jamison, and the book is called An Unquiet Mind. It's an excellent read. I've shared it with a couple people who, while not bipolar, have/had clinical depression, and they found it to be a really moving story.

I don't have much to offer beyond book titles, but how wonderful that there are so many people here to empathize with and support you, colorisnt! Good luck with everything. Grad school is plenty hard enough all on its own.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

Colorisnt you are brave and I hope things will get better soon. Since you are concrned about grad students and money have you tried maybe finding a forum or website for bipolar?It might give you some perspective from people that have bipolar. I look forward to hearing more from you and I will send good thoughts your way
    I like bikes, sometimes more than my husband

Thanks, Badger! I think she's written more than one book.

Seven Alaris//Jett 143

Colorisnt, first off I want to commend you for having the courage to bring this topic up, I know it's not easy for you.
    My 26 year old son was diagnosed with Bipolar II four years ago, and yes, it does run on my father's side of the family. Due to my son's diagnosis, I read as much and learned as much as I could so I could help him deal with his illness.
    Two things that helped my son the most, and this was after trying every possible "solution" we could find for him.
    1. Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) also called Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is what ultimately changed my son's life and helped him the MOST. Fortunately we live in a city where the local mental health hospital has a WONDERFUL DBT program that is a one year intensive out-patient program, which my son attended. It was his salvation. By the time he completed his DBT program in March of this year, he was (with help from his Psychiatrist) able to cut down to 1/4 the amount of medication he was taking before. Also, he's so much happier and mentally stable, like having my son back again like he was pre-bipolar. In DBT (or CBT) they teach you techniques to manage your mood swings. My son said he didn't really start to "get it" until the second 6 months of the program, so staying with the program long enough for the techniques to become routine is very important. If you're interested in this treatment, call around to your local mental health clinics and ask who offers the DBT or CBT program in your area. There are also books on the subject (look on Amazon), but you really need to get into a weekly program to learn the techniques.
    2. Go online to this wonderful organization called Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (website is www.dbsalliance.org). Under "Find Support" then "Find a Support Group near you", see if you can find a local group for you to attend. This is a support group for people suffering from depression and bipolar, and their family members. My son and I attended regularly for a couple of years, and this is where we learned about the DBT program and other very helpful information, plus met some other families dealing with the same issues.

Ciao
    2011 Jamis Coda Femme (with Coda Elite upgrade)
    1997 Trek 730 Multitrack
    Yep, I prefer STEEL!

DBT is a wonderful treatment, not just for Bipolar. What makes it different from CBT is the emphasis on mindfulness, which is something that everyone could benefit from. There are many mental health clinics that run DBT groups, but a lot of them are for those diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, which you might find hard to deal with... ask around.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    DBT is a wonderful treatment, not just for Bipolar. What makes it different from CBT is the emphasis on mindfulness, which is something that everyone could benefit from. There are many mental health clinics that run DBT groups, but a lot of them are for those diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, which you might find hard to deal with... ask around.
    Interesting. I've been involved with CBT for six or so years now to treat episodic mild depression and a generally effed up family, but I've never heard of DBT. I hve a Borderline sister from whom I'm estranged. I wish I'd known about it way back when because Borderline's don't typically respond to traditional talk therapy.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Smile I've got bp2 as well

Hey Colorisnt

Didn't quite manage to read all the posts, but not sure if anyone who answered actually had BP2, so thought I'd say hello.
    I've been diagnosed for 3 years now, the 12 years prior to that they thought I had straight depression - but then I never went to a doctor during a hypomania, cos I thought I was fine. On Seroquel 200mg, bit drowsy in the mornings, but alright once I've biked to work (nothing like being rained on for waking me up).
    After years of my mood crashing around all over the place, it is strange to have been (fairly) stable for 3 years, and I miss the energy sometimes, but overall, I think its better.
    I did post grad study as well.
    Hope you are doing ok at the moment, not sure where you are in the world, but I'm looking forward to the days getting longer and lighter and warmer, it always helps a bit.
    Take care

I know this doesn't pertain to everyone but it seems a lot of my riding friends, including myself battle depression and/or anxiety issues. It always amazes me after I ride how much more at peace in my mind I am. That's saying a lot during these days of graduate school. I feel for you colorisnt, I only have depression to deal with so I can't imagine what you must be going through. I know this thread is old but I hope you have been feeling better.

I know this is an old thread, but he's some great info here. Last fall I was also diagnosed as bipolar II. It scared the life out of me, I'd never had an episode like that before and at 33 I finally sought help. Good for you for starting on the path so young. How are you doing? I find that it's a struggle to get going. The meds have taken away my endless energy. I'm just getting going again, I started by walking, now I'm hiking and I've been on my bike twice. But even when I really want to do something I find its a struggle to push past the lack of energy. And forget it if I'm not in the right frame of mind. Good luck to you on your journey. I'm glad there's someone else here that I can talk to.