Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

To disable ads, please log-in.

Irulan- that's SOOOO exciting!!! Your own boats? 15 years on the wait list?? WOW!

Thanks, Crankin! I've been reading LOTS from people's journals who have hiked in March and have learned that will more than likely be the case. We have some crampons and yak trax (not sure which to take) and hiking poles to have at at the start and finish. Not sure how to dress yet, as I know we'll be cold at the start and will warm up once in the inner canyon. I'm thinking just a Goretex jacket and tights I can pull off then back on. Hmmm...
    While I detest winter weather, I'm excited about the possibility of seeing the Canyon in a different light with different weather. I just hope we don't get too much snow/bad weather on the 15 hour drive out there...
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Embarrassed to say I have only seen the Canyon once. Three and a half months before I moved, I decided I'd better go... since who knew if I'd ever get back. We went over President's Day weekend. It was the dead of winter, but absolutely beautiful, a true winter wonderland. Unlike here, AZ closes roads to drivers when it snows and the roads are in rural areas. We barely made it out of the park and back to Flag before the road into the park was closed. It was only the second time my kids had seen snow. We have a priceless video of my older son slipping on ice and making a quick recovery, on the way to the overlook. We had to explain that you have to watch the ground and be careful when there is ice. He just had no conception of this, as a desert rat.
    I'd bring the same clothes you'd bring for x country skiing or hiking in any winter climate. Just make sure you have removable top layers.
    Several of the teachers I worked with used to hike the canyon every spring break. I always was asked to come, as they knew I was a fitness instructor, worked out. But, back then, any outdoor endeavor scared the crap out of me. I seriously thought they would have to call that rescue helicopter for me. I *should* have just trained and done it, because now, I would love to.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    Irulan- that's SOOOO exciting!!! Your own boats? 15 years on the wait list?? WOW!
    Here's the deal. If you have $5000 in your pocket you could go with an outfitter tomorrow. If you are a person with your own raft, you go into a lottery draw for a permit. 20% or so of launches are allotted to private boaters, the remaining are allotted to outfitters. Thank you Senator Hatch (owner of Hatch Expeditions) and the outfitter lobby in Utah. These are OUR national parks that we have the right to use as taxpaying public. By private boater, I mean anyone that owns their own equipment and wants to do the trip without an outfitter. Private boaters share all costs, and do not hire guides to run the trips for them.

The wait list was up to 22 years for a permit, and finally the Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association was successful in their suits against the National Park Service ( and the outfitter lobby) to get more launches for private boaters. What this means is that there is a lottery now, and there are more launches for private boaters by shortening up the days you are allowed on the river, not by increasing the allotment. When the suit was completed, we were given the option to combine our permit with other folks to move us up the list. So, instead of a permit that belongs to us for 16 people, we are sharing the permit with two other permit holders, each us gets to bring 5 people except we get to bring 6 as the main organizer. Great system huh?

I may not have my numbers exactly correct, but I've got the concept right.
    More info here if anyone cares.
    http://www.kwagunt.net/gctrips.html
    Last edited by Irulan; 01-14-2011 at 08:05 AM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    If we don't get reservations at the bottom, we're going to do the hike in one day. I know it will be tough. I know it will hurt. It will be March, so we won't have the heat of summer, and since I've been consistently doing leg and ab work for the last month (something I haven't done in years), I feel I'll be up to it.
    My DH and I did this in 2006 (age 45 for me, age 52 for him). It's very doable if you've trained. Read about our hike here:

http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com/sw-parks-page-4.html
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by surlypacer View Post
    I did a 5 day trip this past June in the GC. It was my first time on the South Rim. I didn't pick the route and it was 10 miles down the Boucher Trail on the first day, a real grind! We saw no other people that day, how often does that happen in the GC? Then across the Tonto to Hermit Camp, then down to the river, back up to Hermit Camp, then up the Hermit Trail. Saw maybe a couple dozen other backpackers all week.

I just got on another friend's list to try to get a backcountry permit for next March. Her itinerary looks like easy: down to Indian Gardens (not sure which trail down, SK or BA), then to Phantom Ranch for 1 or two nights, then back up to Indian Gardens, then out. Sounds easy after the Boucher and Hermit Trails!
    Our plans are coming together for our mid-March trip into the GC. Down BA trail 4.5 miles to Indian Gardens, then 2 nights at the PR, another night at IG, then out on the BA trail. It looks like an easy going trip with lots of time to look around. There are 6 of us.

My bf is going along. He had a bike accident last summer (grade 3 concussion) and still feels like he is recovering from it. He has a few days of activity and then is dead tired a for a few days, but he has been getting better. We have been out hiking, getting ready. Starting to think out what to pack. The weather could be variable in March.

We are both geologists, so we love rocks! We are also familiar with recent work on theories of how the canyon was formed and how old it might be.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

I did the Canyon in one day (ran Bright Angel down and walked back up) and never again.

The best experiecne is getting down to Phantom Ranch... taken a shower and then exploring and meeting up and engaging with other hikers who come from all over the world! It's so cool! The dinner and breakfast at the Ranch is also fantastic! We normally go down Kaibab and return up Bright Angel. Someday we were reverse the route but for some reason what we have been doing makes sense.

My favorite trip took several days... we hiked down Kaibab, stayed at Phantom hiked out to the North Rim stayed at the grand Canyon Lodge, hiked back down to Phantom and then finished out on Bright Angel. I was really tired but it was a trip of a lifetime!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

super secret about the Grand Canyon and phantom Ranch - if you are a small party and don't mind lodging in the dorms you can walk up the day of your hike and generally get in. It's worth taking the chance otherwise waiting list is 1 - 2 years...

Also we usually do the trip in February and March - yes lots of ice and you may get snow, or rain... buy some cheap shoe spikes and keep them in your pack. They are like mini-crampons. With the spikes ice is no problem.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam View Post
    Someday we were reverse the route but for some reason what we have been doing makes sense.

My favorite trip took several days... we hiked down Kaibab, stayed at Phantom hiked out to the North Rim stayed at the grand Canyon Lodge, hiked back down to Phantom and then finished out on Bright Angel. I was really tired but it was a trip of a lifetime!
    It's hard to go up S. Kaibab because of the lack of water. We did it one year because it was unseasonably cool and overcast, plus we had cached water on the way down.
    One year, we lucked out with a computer glitch. Just as my BF got through to try to book a bed and dinners, all the other computers locked up and he got his pick of the place. You haven't lived until you've stayed in a private cabin at Phantom Ranch. We did a rim-to-rim-to-rim staying in a private cabin both ways - deluxe!!!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Quote Originally Posted by bcipam View Post
    super secret about the Grand Canyon and phantom Ranch - if you are a small party and don't mind lodging in the dorms you can walk up the day of your hike and generally get in.
    Where do you walk up to? Do you hike down to the bottom and just hope to get in? I've been calling daily to see if there are any cancellations, but no luck yet. It's only DH and I and we only want to stay for one night (ideally two, but one would be fine).
    I thought I heard that you can ask at the desk at Bright Angel Lodge and see if they have dorm space available.
    Our other option is waiting at the Backcountry Info office to see if there was space/cancellation at either Indian Garden or BA campground.

We'll be there the week of March 13th.

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Quote Originally Posted by surlypacer View Post

We are both geologists, so we love rocks! We are also familiar with recent work on theories of how the canyon was formed and how old it might be.
    Isthere something new?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    It's hard to go up S. Kaibab because of the lack of water. We did it one year because it was unseasonably cool and overcast, plus we had cached water on the way down.
    One year, we lucked out with a computer glitch. Just as my BF got through to try to book a bed and dinners, all the other computers locked up and he got his pick of the place. You haven't lived until you've stayed in a private cabin at Phantom Ranch. We did a rim-to-rim-to-rim staying in a private cabin both ways - deluxe!!!
    Thus the reason we hike in February and March. Don't need to carry all that much water. A Camelbak 100 oz is plenty. There are alot of good reasons ot hike in Feb/MArch. Although cold on top as you aproach the bottom it is usually a balmy 60 - 70 degrees - very pleasant. Plus less traffic; Plus easier to get reservations or spaces....

We always stay in the cabins (although I have stayed in the dorms) - either 4 men or 10 men depending ont he group. Add the meals prepared by the Staff at Phantom Ranch - Resort Living!
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

We just got back from the Canyon yesterday. We were lucky to get a spot in the dorms for one night at Phantom, so we hiked down S.Kaibab and back up B.A. I wish we'd gone up S.Kaibab because the extra miles of B.A. and all the extra crowds of people with no trail etiquette was terrible! I thought I was going to get in a fist fight with some downhill hikers who were taking up the whole trail as I was coming up- and I wasn't budging. I think I might have shoulder-checked a couple over the edge, but I'm not sure since I was in a daze of exhaustion.
    I think that while the S.K. is steeper, it's also shorter and would have been a better option to ascend out of. Less crowded, shorter, and only an avg. of 3% steeper than B.A. Next time I know.

The temps on the rim and in the inner canyon were very pleasant. It was a very nice week- we lucked out! While there was still snow in patches on the North facing walls of the Canyon, it wasn't too cold at the top. We did have to camp out one night (went to the National Forest and found a spot for free) and the temps were in the high 20's and although we were toasty in our sleeping bags, there was a layer of ice on the underside of the rainfly when we woke up.

After having done both rims, I can safely say that I much prefer the N. Rim because there are so many less people and no tour buses to clog up the rim and trails. They both hold their own unique beauty, but I don't like people so much, so the further away I can be from the massive crowds- the better and more I enjoy it all.

The pictures:
    1. on the way down S.K.
    2. me at Skeleton Point- before those crazy switchbacks down to the Tonto
    3. Black Bridge
    4. the hubs on the very sandy B.A. paralleling the Mighty Colorado
    5. view of the rim from Indian Garden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2610.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	12837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2625.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	12838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2658.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	12839   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2708.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	12840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2722.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	12841  

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Trigirl,

Thanks for posting about your hike and congrats! It took me back! We did the same hike but in one day, did not stay at the canyon bottom. Perhaps because of this, we didn't encounter as many crowds going up Bright Angel as you did, since it was so late in the day when we we got to the top 2 miles, which is where all the people were. There were definitely a few, but I'm sure it had thinned out a lot, as it was getting near 5-6pm, as I recall. So that worked out pretty well. I think doing it the other way would be smart, tho. I guess we didn't do that since I was worried about the steeper profile of S. Kaibab being tougher going up and being very tired since we were doing the hike in one day. Over more than one day, tho, I think that would be the way to go!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I would truly like to do a rim-to-river and back in one day. I'm incredibly impressed by your adventure!!!
    I would have to seriously train for it (like I train for an Ironman, tho). I don't know what would be better: getting all the soreness over in one day, or letting it fester overnight and then starting back up the next day??? Rim-to-river and back is the next hike in the canyon. Or even better- a rim-to-rim from the N to the S rims. That sounds even more fun!
    We encountered about a half dozen canyon runners on the trail heading up- spaced out over lots of miles. I was duly impressed. I can't imagine running down those trails: so rocky and ankle-breaky- especially since I know a lot of them left the rim before daylight broke and there was ice the first half mile of the trail coming down. WOW!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

Tri girl some of your pictures look very familiar! I was just in the GC last week. I did my 5 day backpack trip with 4 other ladies. I wonder if we passed by each other out there somewhere.

On Monday we went down the BA trail to camp at Indian Gardens, 4.5 miles. Then a day hike out to Plateau Pt (3 mi). Saw a little rattlesnake out at PP.
    On Tues we hopped on the Tonto Trail east to Tipoff on the SK trail and down to Phantom Ranch, 7 miles. Saw a condor sitting on a rock stretching it's wings in Pipe Canyon.
    On Weds it was a day off at the PR/BA campground. I walked around a lot, maybe 3 miles total. My legs were a bit too sore to just sit around.
    Thurs we hiked up the BA trail to IG. Went out to PP again that afternoon. 8 miles total. Saw 2 condors sitting on a rock at PP.
    Fri we hiked out the BA, 4.5 miles. My guess for the time it would take us to get out was 4.75 hrs. It took us 4.5 hrs. I won a Pepsi for having the closest guess in our group.

Good times.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon