Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Red, you might want to get a used beater bike instead of a new bike. Riding in the winter gets cruddy and salty and dirty. I like lph's fender solution alot. I had duct tape on mine, too, but it didn't hold well. Zipties are better.
    Oh, used is a probability. My lbs guy is amazing. He found me my '85 Merckx for $250.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    Oh, used is a probability. My lbs guy is amazing. He found me my '85 Merckx for $250.
    Ooooh, I want your LBS guy!

My DH's winter bike is a Specialized Tricross. His is a couple of years old (he's actually owned 4 Tricrosses and he's never done a cross race!). Yes, it should fit studded tires. His does, though he doesn't ride with them very often. He's a cold weather wimp so there is pretty much NO WAY he'll go out in the snow. He does like to tool around our farm with the big tires on though.

His is set up as a rain bike - full fenders, wider tires, rain proof rear rack, lights, etc.

My 'winter' bike is a Terry Classic steel touring bike. I run slightly wider tires (gatorskins or some other such flat-protected tire), fenders, lights etc. Like Mimi, we don't get much snow here so I really have no need to ever ride in it. The way people drive here when it snows scares the crap out of me so there is no way I'm going out on the roads with them unless I'm at least somewhat protected by a vehicle with doors and a windshield!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I'm pretty sure the winner is....http://www.somafab.com/dcdc.html the Soma Double Cross DC!

This bike has everything I want, including disc brake mounts, which the Tricross does not, and, it's purdy. It will need to be built, so so much for my budget once I start picking out parts. A good thing--my bf is getting me the frame for Xmas, so my intended budget is now just for parts and labor.

There didn't seem to be anything else that had everything I want (drop bars, fenders, rack, disc brakes, gears) in my price range, and nothing used in my size (usually 50). But because of the versatility of this bike, it will be used much more than just for snow.

Anyone ride one? Is this a good choice? I'm leaning away from setting it up as a single speed, but I'll be test riding a couple of those just to make sure I'm right about that. The idea of riding my commute in one gear doesn't sound fun. It sounds easier to wipe down the bike.

Slacker on wheels.

The Soma Double Cross would have been my first suggestion

Have fun building it up!

That Soma Double Cross looks great!

Sounds like your "must have" list was pretty similar to what mine was. My search led to, and stopped with, the Surly Cross Check (also in the 50cm size). It and the Soma DC look like very similar beasts, though the geometry is just a little different - the 50cm Surly having slightly shorter effective TT and higher standover than the Soma.

The bad weather hasn't hit yet but I already love my Surly - bet you'll love the Soma too!
    Rebecca

Riley - custom 2014 Enigma Etape
    Bridget - 2010 Surly Cross Check
    Lorelei - 1979 Puch Princess mixte
    Astrid - 2014 Viking Bromley singlespeed mixte
    Lucy - bespoke 2012 Brompton S1L

Visit my blog: velovoice.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca19804 View Post
    That Soma Double Cross looks great!

Sounds like your "must have" list was pretty similar to what mine was. My search led to, and stopped with, the Surly Cross Check (also in the 50cm size). It and the Soma DC look like very similar beasts, though the geometry is just a little different - the 50cm Surly having slightly shorter effective TT and higher standover than the Soma.

The bad weather hasn't hit yet but I already love my Surly - bet you'll love the Soma too!
    You are indeed correct about the long tt on the Soma. I actually may need to size down to a 46. We're still figuring which size to order.

I'm probably going to set it up as a ten speed (1 x 10), so no front derailleur/less to keep clean. I'm going with Sram, which I just tested for the first time. I liked it a lot. Very simple and straightforward, and great for small hands.

Slacker on wheels.

My winter bike is a Bridgestone MB-3 with fenders and studded tires. It's a rigid steel MTB frame and works great for my 2 mile commute. Though I have ridden it in this configuration from Bedford to Lowell and back. (30 mile round trip).
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Woohoo! My Soma DC is ordered! Had a big dilemma over sizing the last couple of days, since discovering the 46 I was intending on getting doesn't exist in the Double Cross DC. Went into the lbs today with my Eddy for measuring, and it turns out the 48 will be just fine. Won't even need to go very short with the stem.

I had almost resigned myself to the need for a Gunnar Hyper x (it has everything I want, in small sizes). If money were no object, and I had a hired hand to clean my bike after every ride, I'd get it as my snow bike (custom paint, for sure) http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/hyper-x/ Be careful with this link. Not safe for the bike addicted.

I can't wait for snow!

Slacker on wheels.

For any not so nice weather, I have a Bridgestone MB-5 SUB (drop bars, fenders, rack, lights). If I had lotsa disposable income, I think it would be fun to have one of these, http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pugsley_complete/.

ETA: I would swap the cassette for an internal geared hub, maybe even the front.
    Last edited by radacrider; 11-10-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling of weather

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Quote Originally Posted by radacrider View Post
    For any not so nice weater, I have a Bridgestone MB-5 SUB (drop bars, fenders, rack, lights). If I had lotsa disposable income, I think it would be fun to have one of these, http://surlybikes.com/bikes/pugsley_complete/.

ETA: I would swap the cassette for an internal geared hub, maybe even the front.
    Pugsley's are the ultimate! I'd have to move somewhere with more snow if I had one!

Slacker on wheels.

Oooh, you'll have to post photos! Be warned that riding in snow can be quite slow, so you'll feel a bit sluggish until you get used to it. But in spring you'll feel like you grew wings
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Oooh, you'll have to post photos! Be warned that riding in snow can be quite slow, so you'll feel a bit sluggish until you get used to it. But in spring you'll feel like you grew wings
    One of my shop guys warned me that riding with studded tires can feel like pulling an anchor. That sounds fun. But I'm committed now (or I should be committed, depending on who you ask.). I do kind of feel like I'm crossing the Rubicon. I can't wait for snow!

Slacker on wheels.

You don't want snow. Snow sucks. You want ice

... and crackly puddles, and perfect white frost on the trees, and bone dry air, and pastel violet skies...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    You don't want snow. Snow sucks. You want ice

... and crackly puddles, and perfect white frost on the trees, and bone dry air, and pastel violet skies...
    +1. If you get alot of snow, you'll need 4" snow tires like on the Pugsley. But studded tires are made for ice, and riding on ice is fantabulous with studded tires. Makes me want to move north.

There are other crazies like us: www.icebike.org