Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Augusta, ME riding??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey Northeasterners! Howgozit?

I'm seriously considering a short 2/3-day trip to Augusta, Maine (and maybe Saco, ME too....relatives there, as well), to see my ailing father (who I haven't seen in 23 years...last time I saw him, I was 12...uggh) within the next month or two. It will be an emotional trip, no doubt (scary...but my heart is telling me I need to).

As you all I'm sure can relate, cycling is my cure for stress, and I KNOW I'll need a good anaerobic session after a bit, so I'm asking those in the area, if any, for advice/info on any accomodating bike shops that maybe I can borrow or rent a road bike from for a good hammerfest (I'm an experienced cyclist and I'll bring my own bike clothes, shoes & maybe helmet). Or if anyone in the area has a spare bike I can use, along with the accompanying riding partner? Is that too weird/imposing/assuming a question to ask? (I take a 56cm frame) I don't especially want to take my own bike for that short of a trip....

It's just that if I'm already feeling stir-crazy to ride from the stress of the reunion (if you want to call it that), when I AM there, it will be 100x worse! Any help with shops/bikes/routes/weather tips is definitely appreciated. I don't want to go when it's too cold....I'm used to sunny California here....

Thanks a bunch!
    -BikeMomma
    Last edited by BikeMomma; 09-19-2005 at 03:03 AM.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

I'm not too familiar with biking in the Augusta area because I live further upstate on the coast. However, I suggest that you check out the Bicycle Coalition of Maine web site-- www.bikemaine.org. It is a great organization that supports cycling in Maine and I believe that they list rides/bike shops in the Augusta area.

Also the Dept. of Transportation in Maine has a nice web site geared to bike tours - http://www.exploremaine.org/bike/bike_tours.html

Depending on when you come you can expect it to be a bit cooler than you are used to on the west coast!

Cheers,
    traveller_62

Thanks, T62!
    Your tips are appreciated! It gives me a nice start, thanks!
    (yep, I expect it will be a bit nippy compared to here)
    -BikeMomma

(Edit: looks like there's a bike rental place in Augusta...purrrfect!)
    Last edited by BikeMomma; 09-20-2005 at 12:17 AM.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Bike Momma,

One more thing. If you can find one, the Maine Dept. of Transportation publishes a free(! ) "Explore Maine by Bike" bound set of 25 bike tour maps. I picked one up at my local bike shop.

There is a Saco River tour and a Capital Area tour described in that booklet (complete with route description and maps). The nice thing about this resource is that most of the rides are designed with a short and long route so that you can match the ride with your energy level.

Cheers,
    traveller

Saco River Trip

If you do the Saco River trip, it goes through my home town of Hollis. If you need food stop at Don's Market on Rt 202. You may get waited on by my mom.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Thanks T62 & Veronica....

The tours sound wonderful, and V, if I'm around there at all, I'll stop to say hi whether I'm on a bike or in a car....but I don't think I'll have that kind of time (for a tour), as it'll have to be a short trip, like over the weekend only. I can't be away from home too long...kids, home, work responsibilities. I'm mainly just thinking in "normal ride" terms....something to blow off some steam. I don't do well in the sort of situations that I'm going there for, so I'll need the stress relief a ride will provide.

I emailed the shop in Augusta, hoping to get info about their regular group rides on Saturday or Sunday, and then of course, about getting my hands on a bike. I guess a touristy clunker will do, but I was hoping to find something a little more spunky. We'll see....I have a little time still...I'm thinking mid-October.

I live about 60 miles northwest of Augusta but have not done much riding in that area. A major road leading out north out of Augusta is Rt 27 and it has good paved shoulders.
    Mid-October can be downright nippy, and we have even had snow squalls up here in my area. Come with full gloves, headband, and warm tights, not to mention upper body warm stuff! But on the nice side early October is "leaf peeping" time and the fall colors can be beautiful. Great stress reducer. Good luck.

Hey BikeMomma - I went to high school in Bath, Maine, but that was many many years ago, well before this new biking life of mine, so I don't have any real info to offer, but just wanted to chime and and say how beautiful Maine is, and what a great time to be there, and I hope you can find a way to get some personal relief while you're "down east" - sounds like a difficult time - be sure to take care of yourself, on and off the bike!!

Thanks, Z! It should be an interesting trip....loads of relatives to meet for the first time, too. My grandmother, who is 91 (I saw her when I was maybe 6 yrs old and not since), is also not doing well now, I hear, so it'll be two-fold. I just have to figure out (really soon!) when the best weekend to go will be. I've seen pics and heard how beautiful it is. Can't wait for that part.
    -BikeMomma

Quote Originally Posted by oldbikah
    I live about 60 miles northwest of Augusta but have not done much riding in that area. A major road leading out north out of Augusta is Rt 27 and it has good paved shoulders.
    Mid-October can be downright nippy, and we have even had snow squalls up here in my area. Come with full gloves, headband, and warm tights, not to mention upper body warm stuff! But on the nice side early October is "leaf peeping" time and the fall colors can be beautiful. Great stress reducer. Good luck.
    Thanks Oldbikah, for the route tip...yep, I was pretty sure I would have to bring those items. I'm looking forward to those fall colors and riding amongst them.
    -BikeMomma

Well, I made plane reservations last night. I fly out of San Francisco on Thursday the 13th and come back on Sunday the 16th. Hopefully Momma Nature is nice to me, and that the trip goes how I would like it to.

Thanks again for the tips everyone...
    -BikeMomma

Fall Foliage

Some of the trees are starting to turn. In two more weeks we will have nice color and who knows how cold! If you do not get the opportunity to bike look for some hiking it will be beautiful! Take Care!

Quote Originally Posted by petals
    Some of the trees are starting to turn. In two more weeks we will have nice color and who knows how cold! If you do not get the opportunity to bike look for some hiking it will be beautiful! Take Care!
    I might just do that, Petals. Thanks for the suggestion. Can't wait to see the fall colors New England is famous for, and I'm taking the camera, too. Maybe I'll post some here. I'm definitely bringing warm weather stuff, all-around, not just for cycling.
    -BikeMomma

Group Rides

Hi BikeMomma - I haven't had time to be on-line much lately. I am psyched to see others from Maine replying to your requests.

We have group rides Saturday and Sunday leaving at 8 am from Cape Able Bike Shop in Kennebunkport www.capeablebikes.com. Cape Able rents bikes. I'd offer to lend you my older Cannondale but it is only a 50 cm frame.

My Saturday ride was a Women's only ride but starting this Saturday Oct 1 it will become co-ed until spring. Too many people automatically put their bikes away for the season so in order to have any kind of group ride I'm inviting all to join in. What we do will depend on who shows up but we do our best to accommodate all abilities and it will likely be a 25-30 mile ride.

On Sunday we generally have 3-5 groups. I lead the "B+" ride which is a 17-18 mph ride, 32 miles in length. Though with extra layers of clothes I expect the pace will start dropping. We have slower/faster groups so you should be able to find a group that you'll enjoy.

Also check out the Eastern Trail www.easterntrail.org for southern Maine and others have already suggested the Maine Bicycle Coalition www.bikemaine.org for additional information. If you can reach Jeff Miller at BCM he is a great resource and he is in the Augusta area and can probably help you find bike shops/group rides up there.

Hope to see you in Kennebunkport and best wishes with your visit with your dad.

Maureen

Mainerider -

Wow! What a wealth of info from you and from everyone thus far! I truly appreciate the help, suggestions, and well wishes, too.

How far and easy is it to get to Kennebunkport from Augusta? I think I'll probably get a hotel in Augusta, because it seems to be central to all the places that I'll be going. I'll be sifting through all of this during the week, making plans, room reservations, & such. The idea of talking to someone in the Augusta area (Jeff Miller) sounds promising.

Thanks anyway for the thought about your other bike Mucho appreciated! Yea....a 50cm frame would be way to small. Me and my long legs! Hopefully I can find the right size/type (56cm/road) to rent.

I probably won't be able to make the Sunday ride, depending on what time it starts (?). My flight leaves Augusta just after 2:00pm, and then I should get there early, etc. It would just be too much to fit into the morning (wish I could, sounds like a great ride!).

After a stressful Friday, though, Saturday would be perfect...get a ride in, then get ready for a busy day seeing more of my Dad, grandmother, & all the uncles, aunts, cousins I've never met, too. Hard to believe I'm doing this!

Thanks again, so much!
    -BikeMomma
    Last edited by BikeMomma; 10-02-2005 at 10:39 PM.