Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Look, Shimano, or Speedplay?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm currently using SPD's, but I'm wanting to make the switch. I was just wondering what you ladies thought & what you prefer to use on your road bikes. Thanks in advance!
    I aspire to be...the best I can be...the best I've ever been!

2011 Tarmac SL3 Pro Sram/"La Sombra Blanca"/Specialized Jett

Personally I love my speedplays! Easy to get in and out.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I use SPDs on my road bike. I like being able to walk in my shoes.

Having said that, I looked into Speedplays before I bought my pedals because I have strange knee ligaments.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Speedplays.
    Easy in...easy out.
    Knee friendly.
    No muss...no fuss, just stomp-n-go.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

speedplays (had them for a couple months now) are great, the walking not so (get a pair of coffee shop caps), if they could give me the eas of entry on spd(mountain) shoes, I't go for it.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

I just switched from SPDs to Speedplays to help with some knee issues and am quite happy with them.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Why do you want to switch? What kinds of problems are you having with your SPDs (knee pain, difficulty in getting in and out?) That would tell us more information and help in making suggestions.

I've used SPDs since the early 90s when I switched from my first-generation LOOKs that I had had since 1986. I don't know when the notion came into existence that SPDs are not for road bikes. Somehow, I missed that memo.

I have Speedplay Light Actions on my tri bike and recently on a bike trip decided to use Speedplay Frogs on the road bike, which I'll be putting on my road bike for commuting and whatnot (I previously had SPD-SLs and then someone borrowed my bike and put platforms on).

The Frogs have super easy entry (on either side of the pedal), though as a customer of SPD-SL and then the Light Actions I missed the familiar "click" to confirm I was actually properly connected with the cleat/pedal. Getting out of them was even easier than any pedal I've used (other than platforms). The float is not as great as the Light Actions (which are free float) in the inward direction, but that's not normally a problem. Honestly, my biggest problem was getting into them, but that was a familiarity thing - they hadn't yet become second nature. The pedal/cleat is where I expected it to be, it's just a different motion. The cleats are effectively hidden in my Keen SPD-compatible cycling shoes, you can barely hear them hit the ground. I won't be racing in my Frogs, but I really think they are a good all around pedal.

The Light Actions are also dual sided entry and easy to get into and out of with the familiar "snap" of cleat to pedal. The pedal is small and the cleat is large, but it's a big rectangle and I don't find it as obtrusive or as hard to walk in as the SPD-SL style cleat. I really like them. Something about the shape/angle of my hips to knees to feet made them agree with my body MUCH MORE than using SPD-SLs.

My dad has SPDs on his road bike and he seems fine with it. I don't really see that there's a HUGE advantage between 2-hole shoe compatible (SPD, Frogs, etc) pedals/cleats and the full-on road/race-style pedals/cleats, but there probably is some marginal gain. The biggest jump is between platform to cleats at all. That said, I would put Speedplays on my next bike in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnypriest View Post
    I'm currently using SPD's, but I'm wanting to make the switch. I was just wondering what you ladies thought & what you prefer to use on your road bikes. Thanks in advance!
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I have Speedplay Frogs on all 3 of my road bikes. I would put them on any other bike I come to own in coming years.

Thumbs up

Look Keo's
    "Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart...Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens." Carl Jung

I love my speedplay frogs. Will get more when I can justify the expense - they are for MTB shoes and I use diadora carbon MTB shoes
    Alison - mama of 2 (8yo and 6yo)
    2009 Independent Fabrication steel Crown Jewel SE
    1995 trek 800 steel MTV

Eggbeaters.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Why do you want to switch? What kinds of problems are you having with your SPDs (knee pain, difficulty in getting in and out?) That would tell us more information and help in making suggestions.

I've used SPDs since the early 90s when I switched from my first-generation LOOKs that I had had since 1986. I don't know when the notion came into existence that SPDs are not for road bikes. Somehow, I missed that memo.
    It's not that I don't think they're for road bikes...and everything is great while riding. No knee problems, no foot pain, but...I STILL have difficulty getting into the stupid things. Sometimes it feels easy, but most of the time it takes me several tries to get the second foot in (sometimes the first foot take a couple tries too). I guess it's not such a big deal, but it's just a little frustrating.

Oh...I just wanna thank everyone for your responses. I hope all your awesome info helps others as well. You girls are amazing!!! I love TE!
    I aspire to be...the best I can be...the best I've ever been!

2011 Tarmac SL3 Pro Sram/"La Sombra Blanca"/Specialized Jett

Shimano 105

Looks