Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejellybean View Post
    Any other opinions on the new Speedplay Zero? I'm looking into them for my new 2011 Specialized Ruby which will be here ANY day (WOOO HOOO, I'm excited!) My first Ruby had shimano but my LBS suggested these...any experience getting in and out...and how easy are they to walk on? I need to order them tomorrow so they arrive in time for my bike and it's a small shop so they don't have any in stock to try out....
    http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.zero

Looking forward to hearing what you think!
    I have Speedplay light action pedals and I love them (slightly easier to get in and out of than the zeros). My other half has the zeros and he loves them.

Do you race? If so get the zeros. If not, you might want to consider the light action ones - at my recent bike fit the guy said he thinks they are the best pedals on the market for women who aren't involved in racing. Very easy to clip and out of.

Love my Speedplays. I can't compare to anything else, cause I've never used anything else. But they are so easy to get in and out of and my foot is not locked into one position. Dh loves them way more than whatever he used when he first started riding (I have no clue what that was and it was before I started riding). When my friend got her first road bike, we encouraged her to get Speedplays. She not only loves them, but found out they are really the only pedal she should use because one of her feet turns slightly in when she rides. Any other pedal would cause her issues, per a bike fit guy / professional coach.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

Well, we ordered the Zeros, I hopped on the bike and for the life of me, COULD NOT get into them. All my effort to force the shoe wouldn't do it. Not sure what that's all about. I can understand it being hard at first and getting easier as the shoe goes in and out a few times, but that was crazy. So, now I'm back to debating whether to just go with the ultegra, what I'm used to (105's were on my 2007 ruby)......i just wanna get out and RIDE! I haven't tried the new one out yet and we just got dumped with more snow overnight.
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp, Specialized BG Lithia w/ hollow Cr-Mo rails
    2009 Specialized Myka FSR, Specialized Windie 143

Did you get the "light action" Zeros? Those are supposed to be much easier to get into and out of. I splurged and bought the original Zeros (in titanium), before light actions were introduced, and I was absolutely miserable. Even as loose as I could get everything without the cleats falling off, I had a terrible time clipping in. I would often have to ride a mile or two with my second foot unclipped -- not easy! My DH did not at all. It seemed to have to do with body weight (I'm petite and lightweight) as I just couldn't get enough torque to clip into those things w/the second foot. I ended up selling them on ebay, but I was disappointed, as once I got clipped in, I really liked them and the adjustable float.

Regular Speedplay X-series and Frogs are very easy to clip into but have a lot more float, which I didn't like quite as much...I needed some, but not quite that much; I felt like I lost some power as sometimes (esp. when I was tired), my feet would turn out a bit and my heels would hit the crankarms.

I now ride Eggbeaters Candies and am very happy with them. They have enough float (6 percent, if I'm recalling correctly), but not too much. They've gotten easier to clip into over time too, so that I never have an issue now that they're broken in. They were a little harder to get into when I first got them, but nothing like Zeros!

Good luck in your quest!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Cleats often take up the shape of the shoe sole.

Look and Shimano cleats can be hard to clip in and float, but usually there's enough springiness it often goes unnoticed.

Smaller and metal cleats are less susceptible to shoe curvature. "Mountain" SPDs, Frogs and Crank Brothers are in this category.

Speedplays are especially sensitive to shoe curvature, as the cleat "sandwich" binds the spring if it's not very, very flat.

This is a common problem on shoes with more sole curvature, either by design or by scaling (smaller sizes sometimes have more curvature).

To improve flatness, choose the right tapered shims from Speedplay's extra parts that come with the pedals. They also have an online list or chart thingy that recomends shims by shoe model.
    http://speedplay.com/index.cfm?fusea...de.searchstart

Either way, the bottom of the cleat base (the black part) needs to be very flat in order to avoid binding the spring. I've even heard of "grinding" that part on a belt or disc sander, after it's on the shoe and before bolting on the rest of the cleat sandwich.

Hope this helps,

'09 Trek 7.3 FX hybrid / Jett 155mm
    '09 Cervelo P3 TT / looking
    '11 Cervelo S3 road / Selle Royal Seta 155mm
    Ischial tuberosities: 140mm center to center

No, they weren't the light actions...I'm a lightweight too...I have a feeling that has a lot to do with it because a guy slipped his toe into my shoe and had no problem clipping in (he also has them and is used to them by now). I think it's also one of those things you have to get the feel of, to get the right motion and I just haven't gotten that yet. It's frustrating because they have good reviews and I really like how light they are (and the fact that they look super cool, and blue to match!)...
    Still leaning towards 'what i know' ... the ultegras... oh, the decisions!!

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Did you get the "light action" Zeros? Those are supposed to be much easier to get into and out of. I splurged and bought the original Zeros (in titanium), before light actions were introduced, and I was absolutely miserable. Even as loose as I could get everything without the cleats falling off, I had a terrible time clipping in. I would often have to ride a mile or two with my second foot unclipped -- not easy! My DH did not at all. It seemed to have to do with body weight (I'm petite and lightweight) as I just couldn't get enough torque to clip into those things w/the second foot. I ended up selling them on ebay, but I was disappointed, as once I got clipped in, I really liked them and the adjustable float.

Regular Speedplay X-series and Frogs are very easy to clip into but have a lot more float, which I didn't like quite as much...I needed some, but not quite that much; I felt like I lost some power as sometimes (esp. when I was tired), my feet would turn out a bit and my heels would hit the crankarms.

I now ride Eggbeaters Candies and am very happy with them. They have enough float (6 percent, if I'm recalling correctly), but not too much. They've gotten easier to clip into over time too, so that I never have an issue now that they're broken in. They were a little harder to get into when I first got them, but nothing like Zeros!

Good luck in your quest!

Well, we ordered the Zeros, I hopped on the bike and for the life of me, COULD NOT get into them. All my effort to force the shoe wouldn't do it. Not sure what that's all about. I can understand it being hard at first and getting easier as the shoe goes in and out a few times, but that was crazy. So, now I'm back to debating whether to just go with the ultegra, what I'm used to (105's were on my 2007 ruby)......i just wanna get out and RIDE! I haven't tried the new one out yet and we just got dumped with more snow overnight.
    jellybean...for what it's worth...I love my Ultegra pedals. I had spd's for the last year & couldn't decide on what to buy (Zeros, Shimano, Look). Anyway, I ended up with Shimano & couldn't be happier.
    I aspire to be...the best I can be...the best I've ever been!

2011 Tarmac SL3 Pro Sram/"La Sombra Blanca"/Specialized Jett

I have SPDs. I DO have knee problems, and while I've considered swithcing them out, the idea of trying something new is unnerving. It's also nice that all the bike have the same set up, so I can wear any shoe, on any bike, and get around just fine.
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

I am currently riding on SPDs because the hills here are insane and sometimes I have to stop on them. I almost slipped putting my foot down with my LOOK pedals so I switched them out. However, for long rides, I prefer the LOOKs because they don't give me hot spots and I just feel like I have more power with them? Prolly in my head but I like them aside of the slipping thing. I did start out on them so maybe it's just what I got used to? I'd say if you don't have killer hills that you have to stop on a lot, try some LOOKs.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I started with Speedplay lollipop pedals then graduated to the Frogs and now I'm using Tioga spyder pedals. I like platform pedals because I can wear different shoes for the changing seasons and the pedals allow me to change the position of my foot and rest different muscle groups.

It should be stressed that there are different models of Speedplays. The X-series are notorious for being sensitive to dirt in the cleats. The LightAction and Zeroes do not have this issue, because of the different shape of the clamps. And, if they do get dirty, a quick squirt of a water bottle will rinse out whatever's in there. Also, they do have a break-in period, but Speedplay will send you c-clamps that are already a bit 'stretched'. And remember not to over-tighten the coverplate, as that will make it way too hard to clip into.

Edit: I thought Speedplays were some of the worst to walk in, until I had to borrow my BF's Look Keo's and cleats. Almost wiped out in the Biscayne National Park restroom, where I've never had a problem in my Speedplays. Who knew!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    Almost wiped out in the Biscayne National Park restroom, where I've never had a problem in my Speedplays.
    Did you go skating?

If it's any consolation...I originally tried the Zeroes on my (then new) Cannondale. During my bike fit, we had my bike on a trainer at the bike shop. A perfect place for me to get some practice on my new pedals. My previous bike had TIME road pedals on it...similar to a standard road pedal like LOOK or Ultegra...so that is what I was used to. I tried for a solid 2 hours to figure out those Zero pedals, and for the life of me I could NOT clip into them either! AND...at 155lbs, I am NO lightweight either!!! Even after my fitter adjusted the tension on them, I still could not easily clip in. I was so frustrated at that point, that I said "forget this"...and had them take the Zeroes off. I ordered Ultegra pedals and could not be happier with my choice. No learning curve and have never had trouble clipping into (or out of) them. Get the Ultegras...you'll be glad you did.

Also...FWIW...there are no such pedals as the "Light Action Zeroes" (as someone above posted)...there is either the "Light Action"...OR...the "Zeroes". Two different versions.
    Last edited by nscrbug; 03-07-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Thanks! I think we're on the same wavelength...going with what I know! It'll feel good and familiar...

Quote Originally Posted by nscrbug View Post
    If it's any consolation...I originally tried the Zeroes on my (then new) Cannondale. During my bike fit, we had my bike on a trainer at the bike shop. A perfect place for me to get some practice on my new pedals. My previous bike had TIME road pedals on it...similar to a standard road pedal like LOOK or Ultegra...so that is what I was used to. I tried for a solid 2 hours to figure out those Zero pedals, and for the life of me I could NOT clip into them either! AND...at 155lbs, I am NO lightweight either!!! Even after my fitter adjusted the tension on them, I still could not easily clip in. I was so frustrated at that point, that I said "forget this"...and had them take the Zeroes off. I ordered Ultegra pedals and could not be happier with my choice. No learning curve and have never had trouble clipping into (or out of) them. Get the Ultegras...you'll be glad you did.

Also...FWIW...there are no such pedals as the "Light Action Zeroes" (as someone above posted)...there is either the "Light Action"...OR...the "Zeroes". Two different versions.

speedplays... because I think they look cool:

edit... oh and mine are lightactions...
    if you don't like sewing, you haven't found the right fabric