Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: yoga or pilates

yoga or pilates

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm trying to decide which of these would suit me...

I'm looking to basically stretch and strengthen for mtn biking, squash and the min tri's i enjoy doing.

I tried yoga(hatha) in auckland and really liked it but can't find a place here in perth that just does it. I found the breathing the hardest and am not really into meditation..I get that from biking..

Pilates..never tried it but the prices are a bit steep..or is that the good thing about it?
    I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Tanks
    c

I love Pilates, I don't have the patience for yoga. It can be pricey - especially for private lessons. But - I think taking a few privates is the best way to go, the if you want, go into group classes. Mat classed are usually pretty resonable - $15 US for drop ins where I go.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck
    Pilates..never tried it but the prices are a bit steep..or is that the good thing about it?
    I'd like to hear your thoughts!
    Tanks
    c
    I love Pilates and do mine at home. I went to some classes and then got myself some tapes and do them at home. The classes helped to get technique right and now I just do it when ever I get some spare time ( about 4 times a week). This works much better for me because I can fit it in between riding and swimming and dont need to pay for childcare on top of class fees.

The tapes I use are by Jennifer Kries my favourite is upper body sculpting with hand weights it really has given me more flexibility and strength.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Perhaps the type of yoga is essential: I prefer Iyengar Yoga, which is quite athletic with an emphasis on perfect poses. Some breathing instruction is given, but mostly you are helped to perform the poses perfectly with the aid of props such as blankets, belts and wood blocks.

Good luck in finding a class!
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Pilates or Yoga

Pilates is more of core strengthening focus that is more movement based.
    Yoga is more of whole body including core strengthening that is based on holding positions.

Both will work on flexibility and mobility

Pilates takes some elements of yoga and adapts it.

Don't worry about getting the breathing in the right place, as long as you are breathing...

Meditation is a very important and good skill to have. It will help you with mental focus and relaxation.

that's it
    Smile
    Han
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

I wanted a good stretching program that I could do at home. I've never taken a yoga or pilates class. I saw a note in the August issue of Bicycling about a DVD called Yoga for Cyclists so I thought I'd give it a try. This is really great for stretching and balance. Do this after a ride and you'll feel great!
    "He's really having to dig deeply into the suitcase of courage" Phil Liggett

Yoga video

I have this great yoga video (yep video) with Rodney Yee (love that guy!)
    called Yoga Conditioning for Athletes. its about 20 minutes and it is an awesome simple workout to work on flexibility and strength.
    "The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."-Moliere

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas A. Edison

Shorty's Adventure - Blog

Y Or P

Thanks for the replies ladies..I'm still weighing out my options..I hate choosing...argh!

c

pilates

I had my first pilates session on thursday and really enjoyed it. The studio is really small but has two wonderful instructors. I found isolating certain areas was the hardest but the lady noticed i was in the right direction. The place i go to has 6 individualized sessions and then i can come and do my thing but with someone around to help with technique.

I loved the stretching and it reminded me of going to the gym (the equipment) without the big muscle type dudes hanging round..

I may go back to yoga when i find the right type but who knows.

c

Another option...

I too really liked Pilates, but if you are in sessions using a Reformer, it can get expensive. I like Pilates DVDs (which I also have) but I find there are so many components to Pilates that are much better served by individual or small sessions with an instructor to remind you of positioning etc.

You might consider a new set of DVDs by Graeme Street (CycloCore and CycloZen) designed for cyclists to strengthen their core and back, as well as increasing flexibility in hamstrings, hips etc. I found his Power Yoga routines to be quite good. Mostly 30 min of routines also that make it efficient for you. I found out about him on Georgena Terry's blog on her site.

Any form of power-based yoga (I have Rodney Yee also, like him too) will help not only with strengthening the core which is critical to your bike work, but also stretching/flexibility and learning how to "endure" through good breathing techniques. We've all been in a position of trying to get through a tough stretch on our bike...I found Street's DVDs have some good focus on that.

Something else to consider....esp in the winter months....
    Ride like a girl.

Renee