Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bicycle Maintenance Course - January 2011

To disable ads, please log-in.

Have any TE'ers ever been interested in taking a United Bicycle Institute or Barnett Bicycle Institute maintenance course but been put off by the travel, lodging, and food expense plus cost of tuition? I've been there and decided to contact a local Master Mechanic / Wheel Builder who has agreed to hold a bicycle maintenance course comparable to what's taught at the United Bicycle Institute here in Alexandria. It would consist of 40 hrs. of instruction taught on Sunday mornings, starting January 9 for 5 to 6 hrs. each week. The topics to be covered include the following:

Bike Fit and Position
    Bottom Bracket and Crankset Overhaul/Replacement
    Brake System Adjustment and Maintenance
    Cable and Housing Replacement and Maintenance
    Derailleur System Adjustment and Maintenance
    Emergency Roadside Repair
    Flat Repair, Tire and Tube Design
    Headset Overhaul/Replacement
    Hub Overhaul and Adjustment
    Pedal Replacement
    Replacing Broken Spokes
    Stem and Handlebars
    Wheel Truing
    Chain Repair

We'd bring our bike and do the hands-on work to fully understand the procedures and proper use of the tools while tearing down and replacing parts on our 'project bike'. Tools would be sold at a discount, if interested in purchasing them.

Cost for this course would be in the range of $600. It'd be a great opportunity for anyone who is interested in gaining the knowledge and skillset to maintain and repair their own fleet of bikes. Please let me know by PM if you have interest. Currently there are two commitments for the course.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    If I lived closer, I would definitely be interested. But I'm just a tad too far to make it work. I hope you get some takers, because that's a fantastic course.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    If I lived closer, I would definitely be interested. But I'm just a tad too far to make it work. I hope you get some takers, because that's a fantastic course.
    Yeah, I wish you were closer, too. I think it'll be a tremendous learning experience and the instructor is an awesome teacher.
    Specialized Ruby/Selle Italia Flow
    1991 Specialized Sirrus, steel frame
    Dahon Eco C7
    Surly Long Haul Trucker/Terry Fly RS
    Trident TWIG Recumbent