Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

cleaning the bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

just wanted to pass along a little tidbit i discovered and to ask a question:

i needed a brush to clean the chain, and the drivetrain, but didn't want to pay a lbs high prices. i went to the dollar store and found a "denture brush." it can really get into the hard to reach places.

still need a brush with tougher bristles for the cogs. wow that bike can get grimy in the most hidden places.

QUESTION: i badly want to remove the chain and drop it in some warm water with some degreaser. i have read the directions on this website for how to break the chain. yet the part that scares me is that i won't be able to get it back on properly. does anyone have a suggestion?

COMMENT: i bought the "Performance" brand degreaser, and it is crap!!! stay away. i should have stuck with the suggestion on our website here about getting "Finish Line" instead.

braking the chain

Hi! Godess,

I remember using a little tool I picked up in my old lbs that bascially pushes out the connecting pin between cogs and then pushes it back in to close - I'm sure Performance bike on line will having them - (http://www.performancebike.com/index.html) - actually I just checked and they do - they call them "chain tools" and they're about 6 bucks.

Good luck!
    'calla
    I just love turning the round legs of my Iron Horse!

Simple Green works great as a degreaser for the chain and cogs and I also use a Park Tools brush thingy. I forgot what its called but one end has stiff black bristles and the other end is curved and plastic and that seems to work well on the cogs.

I just cleaned my bike today and its so nice to see it nice and shiny again

Cheers,
    Kristina

Thumbs up

ohhhh, i never thought of simple green. why didn't i think of that. Duh! do you dilute it or just use as is?

do you also soak your chain in it?

The Simple Green is just a spray on foam. I spray it on and let it sit for a couple of minutes then use that Park Tools brush on the cogs, chain, and rings and it works reallly well.

I don't want to take the chain off b/c I understand that it weakens the link. The Simple Green and brush work really well, although not perfect. Plus, I use ProLinK Gold chain lube which cleans the chain while its being used. RIght after a wash though, I lube up with Finish Line since its a little smoother than the ProLink stuff.

Since I don't do any road riding, my chain tends to get pretty mucky with all the dirt and mud so, I have to keep it clean fairly frequently and so far, that's the best combination that I 've found to work and I'm pretty happy with it

Cheers,
    Kristina

P.S. I sent you a PM a couple of days ago, wasn't sure if you had checked. I didn't want to clog the boards

Talking

the zinn book did state that removing the chain on a regular basis does weaken it. that is another reason i am a little apprehensive on removing it. thanks for the tip on the simple green.

got the PM. no prob.

ditto on using Simple Green...I've found that it's the best degreaser...also, if you don't have a "grunge brush" (got one from a catalog a while ago and that's what it's called), which has different bristles at each end, then a toothbrush works fine too...I know some folks who regularly use a pipe cleaner for insertion in their chain links, but I never have. I have made it a practice to replace my chain about every 2000 miles as preventative maintenance, following a veteran cyclist's recommendation. So far, no breaks, no chain problems whatsoever, so I prefer to regularly make that small inve$tment to keep it that way!
    fyi, I've never taken my chain off to clean...I just clean and lube it regularly...cleaning after the ride...checking it and applying lube before I ride again.

the tip I was given re: SG is to run it full strength in a chain cleaning device, then a dilution, then rinse in clear water and air dry

Irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Howdy! You gals should check out my article on bike cleaning on this web site. It is called "Happiness is a Clean Bike." In the article I recommend breaking the chain, and replacing the "broken" link with a Sachs Power Link which allows your chain to be removed without tools any time. Also, try full strength citrus degreaser from any hardware store as a chain soak.
    Asa