Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was thinking about making a comment about this actually! I was sick for a while and didn't ride my bike for a week and a half and didn;t trim down there. I definitely noticed pulling on the hairs. I just borrow my bf's hair trimmer and get the hair shorter and it reduces a lot of the pulling.

I agree about the shaving and waxing down there on same day as riding, definitely a no no. I have very sensitive skin so always have irritation after those things.

However, there's a place here that uses a type of wax what doesn't require paper strips to take it off. It's a lot nicer than the wax-paper combo. Once you get it done regularly the irritation goes down significantly. But, It's like $60 every three or 4 weeks and that's WAY to expensive for me right now.

Definitely go commando........panties will cause chafing.

I don't shave there on days I'm riding and don't landscape as narrow as I used to because of irritation from the bike shorts. I do, however, keep it trimmed very short.

I agree with Muirenn.....I am amazed by the things I learn here!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

I go commando,trim,use butter on long rides,and get out my chamois ASAP after a ride. I was told to go commando so you don't get yeast/fungal infections as easily. I have a friend that got one and has had a hard time getting rid of it so I don't wear panties while ridin.
    I like bikes, sometimes more than my husband

Commando. Trimmed but not shaved or waxed. I can't imagine having underwear rubbing against my sweaty but for hours. Same goes for running. Most running shorts (compression or not) are meant to be worn commando. I USED to run with underwear until I tried without. Haven't gone back....ever. I'd sooner run naked.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I wear plain panties, trim but don't shave, and always use a little cheap hypo-allergenic hand lotion. Longest rides- 50-70 miles. Hard leather Brooks saddle that fits me like a dream.

No problems at all with sweating, chafing, pressure points, yeast infections, or any other unpleasant fate that others seem to know with such certainty will result if one wears panties under bike shorts.

I feel compelled to post this every time this thread subject comes up, which is at least twice a year. What works or doesn't work for one person can't be stated as irrefutable fact for everyone else.
    It's all easy enough to try out, so why not just try both ways and decide what works for you?
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 10-25-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Commando and sugaring. I was dead set against both to begin with because its weird to go commando and well, if nature didn't want you to have hair THERE, it wouldn't grow it there in the first place, right? Well, turns out, its not so bad. In fact, it makes for quite a comfy ride. Bottomline, you won't know until you try it. And I prefer sugaring over waxing because it hurts MUCH less and the irritation goes away after a couple of hours and a cold shower.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Buttering...sugaring.... you guys might enjoy the 'kaiser roll thread'-
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=30478 lol!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by JuneHawk View Post
    I USED to run with underwear until I tried without. Haven't gone back....ever. I'd sooner run naked.
    I have one pair of running shorts that has wide legs and no liner, and tends to ride up my crack if I don't wear underwear. For those, I wear the Ibex Balance brief. I also run in them in the winter, under thermal tights, which lets me wear the tights more than once between washings.

I wouldn't be able to ride in them, but they're great for running - no binding, no chafing, no riding up, no bunching up, and they wick wonderfully like all Ibex base layers and underlayers.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thumbs up Clear & comfy again

Wow, this has been really useful feedback - thank you all so much!!

Tried the chamois butter and NOT shaving same day before a ride and things are all clear and normal again *PHEW*
    Attempted going commando...I just couldn't do it, I dunno, maybe I'll give it another go if things start to go awry again.
    That tells me its not the saddle, which is good because I really like mine, got the Terry Dragonfly, sort of suiting b/c I call my bike "The Butterfly"....

So many uses for Prep-H - wow haha